2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (CLosed-Opens APRIL 15TH)

Shut your pie hole, Rhule. You have the entire state of Nebraska to troll for funds. If you could win a game or two that counts you would not have to worry.

He's just pointing out the obvious. Sometimes it doesn't work. See the gaggies.

Rhule is just stating the obvious just like Saban did last year about atm's class. Its all about the benjamins!! Not sure these nil deals are structured with any hooks but if not they are just ignorant. This nil is horribly unfair to the players who are not stars but still contribute. Just the world we live in but it sucks!

it's almost hilarious all these QBs swapping teams. I wonder if each QB is just trying to get more NIL money either by getting more money from another team or getting more money from the same team by threatening to leave.
They have to be careful though the team they have been playing for may not renew their scholarship if they change their mind and want to stay.

Last edited:
There really is some good talent in these portals. I hope we are pursuing a few. We don't want too many that, might upset the apple cart.

There really is some good talent in these portals. I hope we are pursuing a few. We don't want too many that, might upset the apple cart.
WR, DT and possibly a safety. Looks like there are some good options at WR and safety, but getting more than a role player like Carter at DT seems unlikely. The only difference maker in the portal the last 3 years would not have been a Sark culture guy.

I wonder about transferring after cutting an NIL deal with your old team. Are they year to year deals? Transferring gets you that bump (maybe) from the new team trying to make a splash.

Re: Fairness

It's like looks. Everyone knows the good looking people of the world have advantages. Those who are not, have to figure out how to deal with that. It's a truth of reality.

It's the same with NIL. If the schools aren't paying anything, then each athlete is getting a reality check on their abilities. It's that simple. Life's not fair right? It's capitalism and the athletes wanted this. But what we are seeing (or will see) is the same thing that is happening in the workplace. There are those who want guarantees because they can't attract higher salaries.

It is what it is.

This is how I understand it. NIL like scholarships are 1 year deals subject to renewal.
Once a player enters the portal the school no longer considers him on scholarship.
IF the player does not go to another school it is up to the old school whether to offer another scholarship. I think same would apply to NIL .
It will be interesting to evaluate how many who entered the portal bettered themselves.

It will be interesting to evaluate how many who entered the portal bettered themselves.

Somebody should track that. I wonder how many offers are being made before they hit the portal. Is that considered tampering? Can you (I'm assuming nobody from the school can contact the players; so it would be the player being approached by those who are interested in investing in a player for their NIL) contact any player, at any time to dangle the carrot? And if the carrot doesn't pan out, can the player sue for something like detrimental reliance?

Somebody should track that. I wonder how many offers are being made before they hit the portal. Is that considered tampering? Can you (I'm assuming nobody from the school can contact the players; so it would be the player being approached by those who are interested in investing in a player for their NIL) contact any player, at any time to dangle the carrot? And if the carrot doesn't pan out, can the player sue for something like detrimental reliance?

There is s post in this thread which explains players can enter and indicate they do NOT want to be contacted because they have already been in conversation wiht a team which seems odd.

After Matt Rhule’s comments, it’s safe to say, any QB in the portal is not making $1.0 in NIL at this point.

I liked it better when you get a free car and a no show job, like gangsters.

Last edited:
I read somewhere a while back that Sark's policy is that once you enter the portal you are done being a Texas Longhorn, no take backs. So choose wisely young men.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back