2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (CLosed-Opens APRIL 15TH)

idoits on social media, not any Horns that I have see, sure think Maalik will enter portal

Not so far fetiched. He loves Tx (go back to all the notes during his recruitment) but really none of the scenarios have him as eventual starter.
Wouldn't expect anything to happen till spring football. But this does bear watching.

Does anyone know the nature of Murphy’s injury that apparently happened on the sideline during Keilan Robinson’s kickoff return.

If he becomes available, I’m not sure Sark even wants him. Seems like lots of baggage.
To my knowledge, Evan Stewart had no baggage of consequence. He was not caught up with Denver Harris and the other aggy players who had weed in the atm locker room, allegedly, to my vague memory.
With Worthy possibly leaving early for NFL, we could definitely use another stud receiver next season.

To my knowledge, Evan Stewart had no baggage of consequence. He was not caught up with Denver Harris and the other aggy players who had weed in the atm locker room, allegedly, to my vague memory.
With Worthy possibly leaving early for NFL, we could definitely use another stud receiver next season.
Has had injuries. Very similar to Adonai at Georgia.

idoits on social media, not any Horns that I have see, sure think Maalik will enter portal
I think Malik needs to transfer.
Great young man with great size and a cannon arm but very raw.
To get to NFL he needs to play play play
90% chance QE returns, Arch will be 2nd string
If MM stays he never sees the field
Forget about UT, for MM future he needs to transfer and start 2 years to be a 3rd rnd pick, [trend is for running QBs]
UT QB room is loaded with more talent coming, put MM in position to maximize his future. He’ll still be a Longhorn and we’ll still support him.

Killer
You make good points. Maalik needs to do what is best for him. I know Sark will help.
This from you
"He’ll still be a Longhorn and we’ll still support him.":headbang:
Yes we will:hookem2:
but I will miss him

Last edited:
For us to get in the portal this go-round:

1-2 Big DTs
1-2 electrifying playmaker WRs
A true shutdown corner
A stud LB (or two)

:bevo:

Last edited:

1-2 Big DTs
A true shutdown corner
A stud LB

If Worthy or A. Mitchell go pro early, we'll need 2-3 electrifying playmaker WRs.

1-2 Big DTs
A true shutdown corner
A stud LB (or two)

My list, plus a TE. But I would substitute a S for a CB. Both would be nice. Just don’t announce them until after signing day. I don’t want to lose any of the kids we have committed.

Some grad assistant should look at the Hutchinson CC film of LB K'von "Showtime" Sherman to make sure we're not missing out. He's given a verbal commitment to Toledo. He was heavily pursued by us (and not much of anyone else) late in his high school recruitment as a late bloomer who weighed about 185 as a Junior in high school, and 215 as a Senior. He has an outstanding nose-for-the-ball and closing speed. We backed off (as did New Mexico) and he ended up in JC (grades?). He was at our recruiting pool party his Sr. year in high school. Very few recruits get that invite--only those we are really, really interested in. If he's still of interest to our coaches, I bet we could get him an official visit and poach him from Toledo.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/12253342/Kvon-Sherman

1-2 Big DTs
A true shutdown corner
A stud LB (or two)

While it is understandably interesting to add an “established playmaker” we should allow Sark to continue to build the team and culture. We have some budding potential star wide receivers and DBs. These guys bought into growing into the system and have patiently sat out to gain practice experience and add weight/game IQ. When we jump the development cycle and add an A.Mitchell for example, we have to be clear there is a culture fit and the players usurped understand the reasoning. With Cook, Moore, Wingo, and a couple others in the queue, we cant let impatience rule and destruct the process. Sark has taken a team that rebelled because the Eyes was racist? And built a team that works for each other and is truly a TEAM. All us Sunday morning QBs need to listen and learn. The man is building a Bama-esque team heart. Sweat was a 3* recruit that didnt get anybody whipped up and look where he is today. Let the system work.

If DT Murphy goes pro, then we're very thin in big, interior, upperclassmen DTs. And we like to rotate a 3 deep at the 2 technique positions. So we need to be targeting a couple of big interior DTs in the portal.

While it is understandably interesting to add an “established playmaker” we should allow Sark to continue to build the team and culture. We have some budding potential star wide receivers and DBs. These guys bought into growing into the system and have patiently sat out to gain practice experience and add weight/game IQ. When we jump the development cycle and add an A.Mitchell for example, we have to be clear there is a culture fit and the players usurped understand the reasoning. With Cook, Moore, Wingo, and a couple others in the queue, we cant let impatience rule and destruct the process. Sark has taken a team that rebelled because the Eyes was racist? And built a team that works for each other and is truly a TEAM. All us Sunday morning QBs need to listen and learn. The man is building a Bama-esque team heart. Sweat was a 3* recruit that didnt get anybody whipped up and look where he is today. Let the system work.
You’re suggesting that we leave it to Sark’s discretion. I think that most of us would agree. That said, I’ll be shocked if we don’t add 4-5 players from the portal.

Kids don't choose to go to Hutcheson, Garden City, Dodge City, Coffeyville or NEOA&M. They are planted there by a P5 power. Ray Poage & I had a conversation with DKR about a RB at Coffeyville. DKR said (in much more unprintable language) that if he was at Coffeyville he was already bought & paid for by Woody Hayes, and we weren't buying any RBs this week or getting in a bidding war with Hayes.

Last year, we portaled in:

P Ryan Sanborn - Stanford
CB Gavin Holmes - Wake Forest
S Jalen Catalon - Arkansas
WR Adonai Mitchell - Georgia
DT Trill Carter - Minnesota

So that's five (5) incoming through the portal in just the first year of the open portal. Sark has established his preference of making significant additions through the portal. If the signing class is 20 players, and we're portaling in 5 more, then Sark likes around 20% of his incoming players to be from the portal.

:ut::ut::ut::ut:

Last edited:
Kids don't choose to go to Hutcheson, Garden City, Dodge City, Coffeyville or NEOA&M. They are planted there by a P5 power. Ray Poage & I had a conversation with DKR about a RB at Coffeyville. DKR said (in much more unprintable language) that if he was at Coffeyville he was already bought & paid for by Woody Hayes, and we weren't buying any RBs this week or getting in a bidding war with Hayes.
This situation looks different. We haven't taken him from Hutch CC (not yet anyway). Toledo did. And he committed to New Mexico after we didn't offer, then he backed off that and went to CC. This one looks like a possible grades issue.

It looks like his ship has sailed. Toledo got themselves a big-time playmaker (unless one of the big boys comes in and poaches him before signing day)*. He's in the mold of Derrick Johnson. Morice Blackwell plays similarly to Showtime.

*signing with Toledo may put him on the radar of the bottom half of the Big 10 schools...

If the signing class is 20 players, and we're portaling in 5, then Sark likes around 20% of his incoming players to be from the portal.

th

There is no argument that the portal is a reasonable recruiting vehicle. Many players werent compelling in HS and a couple years of development has proved up the potential. Certainly we cant ignore the source. But cultural fit is crucial. We dont need renegade players bringing in disruptive mind sets just on the basis of a short term skill fit. Developing players from start to finish sells the program to mamas who often rule the decision process. Bringing in players for 3-4 year involvement trumps immediate gratification. IMO. Fill holes as needed, but keep the core culture front and center.

If DT Murphy goes pro, then we're very thin in big, interior, upperclassmen DTs. And we like to rotate a 3 deep at the 2 technique positions. So we need to be targeting a couple of big interior DTs in the portal.
Murphy agreed to play in senior bowl so he's not coming back

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back