100 Day Countdown 2024

Yup, Frank Broyles, his team including Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson & Barry (Barney) Switzer.

UT Football sage @SabreHorn, corrected me.

Switzer did play for Broyles and arky, but played just prior to Jimmah & Jerrah. I bow to his vast knowledge of college football information & trivia.

Last edited:
# 11 QB Major Applewhite - LOVE this photo from the Big 12 Championship game vs. Colorado!

VVVVVVVV

1724162384810.png

1724162447672.png

1724162476626.png

Last edited:
In fact, there are many more outstanding players who wore #11, but instead of swiping the images, I'm going to link to a fine article with pics on the jersey by Larry Carlson.

Included are Sam Ehlinger, Herkie Walls, Paul Jette, and Keith Cash among others.

Well, QB Marty Akins wore #10... outside of him and the others previously named, I cannot think of anyone else that was decent....

Last edited:
In fact, there are many more outstanding players who wore #11, but instead of swiping the images, I'm going to link to a fine article with pics on the jersey by Larry Carlson.

Included are Sam Ehlinger, Herkie Walls, Paul Jette, and Keith Cash among others.
Here’s another.
Noble Doss, Temple.
1724196729277.jpeg

Featured on the cover of Life Magazine in November of 1941. Made the legendary “impossible catch” to set up the winning touchdown in the Horns 7-0 victory over the Aggies in 1940, denying the farmers a Rose Bowl bid and their second national championship.
As a defensive player, he totaled 17 career interceptions and held the school record for interceptions in a year (with several other players) until it was broken by Earl Thomas in 2009. He is the only player in Longhorn history to lead the team in interceptions three straight years.
He played two years for Philly in the league, winning an NFL title in 1948.
Hall of Honor 1980.

DKR said he was the only player he had ever seen that could be running full speed, stop on a dime, turn around, and be at full speed on first step.

DKR said he was the only player he had ever seen that could be running full speed, stop on a dime, turn around, and be at full speed on first step.

In the early 60's, when I was very young, and barely knew football, I remember my Dad praising how incredibly good James Saxton was ...

Last edited:

From my Dad's memories: 1961, Texas ranked #1. Lowly Frogs come to Austin.

Fierce hit knocks James Saxton out of the game when he was about to score.

Somehow toads got a TD and hold on to win 6-0.

My UT grad Dad, NEVER, got over that loss. Talked about it from time-to-time until his death at 90 years old!

Well, I stumbled upon this # 10 while surfing the Internet this morning.... I'm fuzzy on his name tho?

1724245974655.png

Last edited:
Well, I stumbled upon this # 10 while surfing the Internet this morning.... I'm fuzzy on his name tho?

View attachment 10534
I have a friend from So Cal who tells me he has recurrent nightmares about some guy from Texas. He says the nightmares are horrific but he can't think of the guys name either...something like Young Victor; he's not sure, but the word "inVINCEable" is always associated with the dream.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back