Whole Foods stores to stop using plastic bags...

jmatt

1,000+ Posts
..by Earth Day (April 22), if not sooner.

They will still offer paper bags, made of recycled materials, but will encourage folks to bring their own reusable bags.

The Link

They charge as much as they do and want us to bring our own bags? This is why I use central market, it is much better anyway imo.

I think this will be the norm in all groceries sometime fairly soon. You will bring your own reusable canvas bags, and wash them if necessary in the washing machine.

I've been slow to come around to it, but I'm thinking it's stupid of me not to have a reusable bag for groceries. I can carry more in a bag than the little plastic bags can carry, so it will be more convenient for carrying as well as less wasteful.

That article about the sea of plastic impacted me even though, I believe, my trash goes into a land fill.

I also think Central Market is superior (those HEB guys really know how to run a grocery store).

The WFM in Sugar Land was selling reusable canvas WFM bags for $16.

Yeah, like I'm gonna pay $16 for a bag, reusable or not.

well, no one is asking you to buy a $16 bag.

if shoes were mandatory, no one would ask you to buy Jimmy Choos.

they are available for 99 cents many places. it's easy with just a very small amount of effort.

well, no one is asking you to buy a $16 bag.

if shoes were mandatory, no one would ask you to buy Jimmy Choos.

they are available for 99 cents many places. it's easy with just a very small amount of effort.

The point, apparently missed, and for that I apologize, was that these bags were being sold in WFM. If WFM is really serious about reducing waste and encouraging people to use these bags they would not be selling them for $16 a pop.

I can't wait for plastic bags to get banned outright. I'd love it if drink makers went back to glass also. Coke tastes better in glass anyways. Nonbiodegradable plastic should not be used in disposable products.

I'd love it if drink makers went back to glass also. Coke tastes better in glass anyways. Nonbiodegradable plastic should not be used in disposable products.

The "real" solution would be, of course, to just stop consuming soft drinks.

Don't just buy your soft drinks in a more environmentally friendly receptacle; stop buying soft drinks altogether (or almost altogether).

If they stop using plastic, WTF am I suppose to pick up my dog's **** with when I take him on a walk? I guess I'll have to do the environmentally friendly thing and let it biodegrade in my neighbors front yard.

Whole Foods sells reusable bags for $0.99 a bag. They are larger than regular plastic bags, sturdy and they give you a discount ($0.05 per bag, I think) for using them. I believe I read that they are made from recycled plastic bottles. My wife just got them a few weeks ago but they've been good so far.

I use newspaper bags for my dogs crap.

Why don't you buy Coke in a can, and then recycle the cans?

And I also reuse the plastic bags to scoop the poop. Of course, I shop at CM and not WFM, so I'll still get my plastic pooper scoopers.

fondren, i see your your point on going back to glass jars, bottles, etc.... but i prefer the plastic. i hate when people take glass containers to rivers/lakes/parks... and kids drop things a lot of the times. glass shatters and plastic doesn't.

i remember the commercials back in the day when peanut butter was making its way with plastic containers. they'd have a kid drop the jar of pb (his face frightened) and it would bounce rather than shatter and make a mess.

goo,

I'm not saying there aren't cons to it. People still have to clean up their own mess like they would if they were in their own house. If you break a glass, clean it up, and don't leave your plastic or glass bottle floating on the lake. Really, I have no problem with plastic bottles if everyone would recycle, but most people still throw them away. That, and a soda really does taste better in glass.

The bags are worse than bottles because they get caught in trees and kill fish and wildlife.

On a side note, why didn't beer go to the plastic bottle outside of stadiums?

to answer your side note, beer was only put in the plastic bottles for events that had a higher probability of violence due to the capita of drunks at one location not called a bar or club.

nobody really likes beer out of a plastic bottle. it sure as hell taste weird. it wouldn't sell well in grocery stores.

i think i'll encourage my mom to go with reusable bags. we shop at heb though.

I just got back from Staples. I bought two reems of paper and told the guy I didn't need a bag, I'd just carry it. 30 feet to my car, I can make it.

The guy in front of me bought a copy of Norton Antivirus. While that alone was a horrible decision, he carried it out of the store IN A ******* PLASTIC BAG.

Why? Why does he need to use a non-biodegradable plastic bag to carry his 6 ounce box to his car? That is the **** that pisses me off. It should piss you off too. If it doesn't, you're not paying attention.

I put most of this on the stores. Stop giving the plastic bags to people who buy only a single item. There's no need AND it's bad for the planet.

Is it close to my heart? I guess. I just see it as such a SMALL price to pay, and in the case of carrying your single item to your car, no price to pay at all. There's just no reason at all for non-biodegradable plastic bags to be given away by the billions. None.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back