Week 8 Prediction Thread: Texas at Vanderbilt...Revenge of the Nerds!

militaryhorn

Prediction Contest Manager
Texas needs to not let this loss turn into two losses. Vandy is a tough out this year and we could easily have the same results as Alabama post Georgia.

nerds revenge GIF

I can only hope Sark remembers what a field goal is. Quit going for it on 4th and 5 or 6 with an immobile QE. Even with Arch, take the damned points...

I'm actually contemplating putting a few hundred on Vandy to cover the 17.

QE did not look good against the land thieves and somehow regressed against GA.

Horns bounce back and take care of business, but Pavia is a feisty competitor - but no goal post parade for the Dores this week.

:bevo:38

:vandy:24

Rick,

You have more faith in Auburn than I do.

Going back to when DKR arrived, the kicking game was a huge part of game planning. How many games did Erxleben win for us?

Our program has always produced GREAT kickers, clutch players. How the hell did we get where we are now?

Sabre-totally agree with your assessment on our kicking game. While the stats may suggest otherwise, I'm never confident when Auburn is kicking. Beyond that is our punting game. I felt it was a mistake for the Horns not to pick up a proven punter in the portal. Maybe they weren't out there, but going into a possible national championship year without a proven punter is questionable at best.

Your Erxleben reference is spot on. I was at UT for three of his years and he turned around many games including the 77 win against OU. Too bad his off the field habits destroyed his NFL career.

Vanderbilt on the road will not be easy. We have had 2 big games back to back and physically got whipped at the line of scrimmage against Georgia. I think Georgia with a loss and their backs against the wall and the hype around the horns they came to play and just physically whipped us. Kirby was hyped the entire game on the sideline. They were ready and it’s never easy for horns to play after the ou game with the emotion and history with that game. So we are now faced with coming off 2 huge games which were very physical and going on the road against a dangerous team. How will we respond? You can learn a lot from a loss and it can be a positive overall. This is where culture comes in to play in a big way. I have been saying sark has changed our culture in a positive way which was a disaster when he got here. This week culture is clearly on the table. If we win this game, I think we will win the rest of our games and make the playoffs and sec championship game. I really think this is a defining week. GO HORNS!!!

Without our A game Vsndy is not going to be a cake walk. They’ll be fired up to keep the home streak going in addition to getting Texas at home. Plus our history with an aggressive, running qb is not stellar. I think it’ll be tough.
33-30 Horns.

Rick,

You have more faith in Auburn than I do.

Going back to when DKR arrived, the kicking game was a huge part of game planning. How many games did Erxleben win for us?

Our program has always produced GREAT kickers, clutch players. How the hell did we get where we are now?
Sabre,

IIRC, I think it was either the '73 or '74 game against Arky. Whichever year would have been in Austin. It was night game, cold, wet and windy. Erxleben singlehandedly won that game with his punts. It didn't seem to matter whether he was punting with the wind or against it. He unleashed booming punt after booming punt and penned the pigs deep all night long. We were in the upper deck and I swear every one of his punts went higher than our heads.
DKR was the all time champion of playing the field position game and demanded perfection in the kicking game. I loved the old school game where both teams put their best 11 players out there and slugged it out. Remember the Duke Carlisle interception in the endzone to preserve a win? I don't remember the opponent but I remember the play. I was in Jr. High at the time and I remember our gym coach on Monday emphasizing the picture perfect technique Duke used to catch the ball. Soft hands and little fingers facing inward and he was a QB and DB, not even a receiver.

Without our A game Vsndy is not going to be a cake walk. They’ll be fired up to keep the home streak going in addition to getting Texas at home. Plus our history with an aggressive, running qb is not stellar. I think it’ll be tough.
33-30 Horns.
I agree that Vandy will NOT be a cakewalk. But I'll go a bit further: Even with our A game Vandy will be very tough. I predict we win a nail biter:
Horns 34
Vandy 24

We won't be behind by 15 with under 8 minutes to go so we won't have to go for it on fourth down. Field goals will be made.

I don't now what to expect this coming Saturday. On the one hand, it's (yawn) Vanderbilt. But they beat Bama so they must have some talented players. And I'm pretty sure they circled this game on their schedule and even though they have no reason to, I'm sure they hate our guts so they'll be frothing at the mouth. I hope we don't have a hangover or take them lightly. Players play and coaches coach, so there are no magic words a coach can say during the week. But I trust Sark to prepare us well. If the OL doesn't play like their hair is on fire I'll be pissed off. They embarrassed themselves last Saturday night.

They hate us and hold us responsible for Waylon leaving Nashville and successfully changing country music.

If that's not enough, they hold us responsible for George and Alan recording "Murder on Music Row" - still one of the greatest all time country songs.

People will go to any lengths to hate The University, but mostly it's plain ole jealousy.

Last edited:
I look for the Horns to come out (1) well-prepared and (2) intense, wanting to get back on track following the loss to Jawja.

Texas 34
Vanderbilt 14

The visiting team always is the overwhelming majority of the crowd. With that said, Vandy played physical against Bama and the QB is a gamer. Bama couldn’t stop the option and looked unprepared. I expect the Horns will show up prepared and pissed off.

I agree that Vandy will NOT be a cakewalk. But I'll go a bit further: Even with our A game Vandy will be very tough. I predict we win a nail biter:
Horns 34
Vandy 24

We won't be behind by 15 with under 8 minutes to go so we won't have to go for it on fourth down. Field goals will be made.
Please no nail biter. I just now have beaten that habit in my 72nd year. Oh well, it was a short but good run.

They hate us and hold us responsible for Waylon leaving Nashville and successfully changing country music.

If that's not enough, they us responsible for George and Alan recording "Murder on Music Row" - still one of the greatest all time country songs.

People will go to any lengths to hate The University, but mostly it's plain ole jealousy.
There's a place in this world for Nashville style corporate country pop music. Just like there's a place in this world for dude ranches.

Horns 33
Vandy 15

Last edited:
Please no nail biter. I just now have beaten that habit in my 72nd year. Oh well, it was a short but good run.
I couldn't agree more TX. 72nd year here also and I'm not sure I've fully recovered from last year's nailbiters. Not sure how many more of those I can get through, but the period of rest this year has been nice. That said, I'll take a nailbiter win over an a$$ beating loss like last Saturday anytime.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-VANDERBILT *
Sat, Oct 26 • 3:15 PM on SECN

Recent Threads

Back