VP Pick

Mr D
Do people come up to you and ask if you are American.

huma GOOD one. This will get back to topic soon. But We are getting a first hand view and it is poignant and great.

They don't need to ask. We stick out like sore thumbs. Lol

I think that's mainly a big city thing annoyed with so many tourists; however, I had a positive experience in Paris albeit pre-9/11. I took French is high school and college, and it'd seemed that saying "Hello" and "How are you?" in French made the locals much nicer in response ending with a "We can chat in English."
Like this? Go to about 3 minutes in.

Not a Baldwin fan, of course. But, the sketch was funny and memorable. And, he gets his *** kicked. Bonus.

It's amazing being here. Everybody speaks French, but they're openly pro-American and friendly. Tons of American flags (like the 4th of July) and also quite a few British and Canadian flags. Though the French don't seem especially grateful, the people of Normandy very clearly are. Also, the food is terrific.
Normandy was a Viking colony. Maybe there’s a regional subculture still remaining that is a part of the explanation. Do the natives seem taller than in Paris?

It’s heartwarming to hear that there’s some positive vibes for Americans in Western Europe still alive. Thanks for your dispatches.

Last edited:
It was outside of Bury St. Edmunds, only the air tower square two story building is left

That might have been RAF Bury St. Edmunds. Bury is a cool town about 45 minutes from where I live. I probably go there once a month.

huma
I can't even imagine what your Dad or any of them went through. Did he like flying? One thing I noticed talking with other combat pilots is they loved flying but hated war.

67 I can tell you my dad did love to fly but confessed he was scared to death on every flight, even after Normandy when they were picking up the wounded to fly to england and later Italy. He wasn’t a pilot but the radio operator. Only other thing he ever told me was that after doing it only twice he couldn’t take going back to talk to the soldiers they were transporting, it tore him up too badly to see/hear their stories. God I miss my Dad.

nash
i doubt We can ever understand. He was scared BUT he did it anyway.
There is some quote about that from someone like Chuck Yeager or maybe John Glenn.
I am so grateful the brave people who served on DDay and WWII are getting recognition now. This has turned into a meaningful week for many
Blessing to your Dad. I know he is smiling on you.

Americans tend to be louder, obviously speak with a different accent, and tend to dress sloppier. They know us when they see us.
Walk around in a sports coat, non-tennis shoes, and say “bene” every once in a while and you will fool them.

It's a fine place to drink beer. I can attest to that. Lol
Yep, my father got busted for going in town one day, no one was suppose to leave the base because IKE was coming in country, he didnt read the message board busted him and the ball gunner for drinkinking beer in town

Yep, my father got busted for going in town one day, no one was suppose to leave the base because IKE was coming in country, he didnt read the message board busted him and the ball gunner for drinkinking beer in town

Thats awesome.

It's amazing being here. Everybody speaks French, but they're openly pro-American and friendly. Tons of American flags (like the 4th of July) and also quite a few British and Canadian flags. Though the French don't seem especially grateful, the people of Normandy very clearly are. Also, the food is terrific.
If you want to understand the relationship between the people of Normandy and America, you have to watch this film. I saw it today on a United flight. It explains it very well.

IMG_9104.jpeg

Back