Tournament Terry--that's his name

Just watch.

I'm talking about the Big Dance.

This isn't on cruise control like last years team. If this team wins more than one game in the tourney I'd be shocked. I'm actually in Vegas now and the Championship odds sheet doesn't even have Texas on the list. I guess that means they don't even think Texas will make it in the field? There are 72 teams on the list.

Last edited:
After the inconsistencies I saw this year, my money is on 1st round loss to a coach with lesser talent that can coach.

I’ve seen this team collapse defensively and go absolutely cold offensively. I wouldn’t bet a dime on them due to their inconsistent play.
If they can stay focused, play tough defense and smart offense for 40 minutes they can stay with anyone. But that’s a big if.

IF we get past our 1st game, I like our chances to make it to the Sweet 16 because our 2nd game would prolly be against little ut, coached by our beloved former Coach Barnes whom we fired because of his (read "our") teams failures (with a couple of exceptions) in the Tournament.

My daily commute is almost an hour to work. Local radio talked 15 min on the Horns in the tourney and 45 minutes on fall football. That's telling.

IF we get past our 1st game, I like our chances to make it to the Sweet 16 because our 2nd game would prolly be against little ut, coached by our beloved former Coach Barnes whom we fired because of his (read "our") teams failures (with a couple of exceptions) in the Tournament.
Barnes has a legit team this year, we do not. We have some pieces, no offense except the current flavor of try to jump around the 3 pt line and jack the ball or hope Disu is healthy. Like last year, he is a game changer for sure if he can stay healthy.

I get your point & you may be 100% right. That said, I've seen Rick have loads of talent, do very well in the regular season, then go out in round 1 or 2. Rick is just not a Tournament coach.

I get your point & you may be 100% right. That said, I've seen Rick have loads of talent, do very well in the regular season, then go out in round 1 or 2. Rick is just not a Tournament coach.
He obviously did well with TJ running things but have to agree he has not help up on tourney play like he should. Given that, he is still lights out better than what Texas has today.

That’s his name.
Like Tournament Tom Penders.
Well, his first ten years as head coach he got into the tournament 1 time and lost that game the first round so I'm not sure he's Tournament Terry just yet.
But I like the positive energy.
Let's whoop some Ram booty tomorrow and start our 2024 campaign of destruction.:bevo: Hookem.

Some of my favorite basketball memories are the Reunion Arena SWC tournaments because of how damn rowdy every fanbase would get. I think I went every year except one or two between 1989 and the last one in 1996. It was like $20 for an all-day pass to every game and the Arkansas fans were utter pieces of **** and I loved to hate them. The OT win over Tech in 1995 was awesome but they paid us back in 1996. Penders really had the hype up until he sold out Luke Axtell.

Boss,

I've always taken responsibility for Kaiser Bob. For those not around back then, Deloss had interviewed pretty much everyone that could even air up a basketball, including maintenance people at UNC & Duke. We had been turned down by everyone down to the fry cook at Dirty's. I was so sick of listening to the Aggies and Sooners making fun of us, that I told Deloss to hire somebody, anybody as long as the body was still warm, then have Bill hype the hell out of him.

I never dreamed I'd get a coach whose starters lost to a team made up of football players by over 50 points.

If you didn’t live through the Kaiser Bob years you really cannot comprehend what a breath of fresh air Penders was and how he made Horn basketball fun again.
I loved Penders, but got very tired of him shopping himself around EVERY March to suck more money out of De Loss.
And, yes, the Kaiser Bob years were an embarrassing black hole in Texas Basketball history.

I loved Penders, but got very tired of him shopping himself around EVERY March to suck more money out of De Loss.
I also remember the stories about how much his wife hated Texas and wouldn't shut her mouth about it, expressing her opinion everywhere she went.

Tom was also on a crusade to upgrade the basketball facilities at opposing schools in this part of the country. He especially hated Rice's Autry Court. He wasn't fond of the pre-renovation TCU court either, or Texas Tech's old colliseum (TT's pre-new b-ball stadium) or aTm's gym.

I think the Frank Erwin Center, Hoffheinz Arena (UH), and Barnyard Arena :smile1: (Arkansas) may have been the only stadiums in the SWC that Tom approved of.

Last edited:
Back