Texas vs Kansas State (2-4-24)

I was surprised to see Jak at the press conference. She only played 13 minutes and had some iffy ball handling. I'm pretty sure this wasn't shown on TV, but during that last few possessions when we were trying to burn the clock and K-State was pressing, Jak barely kept possession of the ball when Vic called a time out. AMo was frustrated with Jak and was talking to her and pointing her fingers to her own head for that universal gesture of "use your head". Jak was frustrated at being lectured and in the huddle she held up both hands, palm up and said something like, "What was I supposed to do? I couldn't see....."

And that question that Kirk Bohls asked Booker. That was borderline insulting the way it was put and you could see the wheels in Madi's head trying to figure out how to politely answer the question.

I’m not really knowledgeable about bb fouls but were there not some strange calls in this game? And, good on Coach for “reminding” the officials that the foul they called had a couple of free throws along with it. Those bozos were just going to let the game continue.
THIS! Read my posts... I'm not a Homer against refs. But there is one certain one that interjects himself in the game. The best reffed game is one where you don't talk about the refs. Couldn't say that today... again with this same guy. As soon as I saw him pregame I said OH S*^T. Sure enough, he lived down to his reputation.

THIS! Read my posts... I'm not a Homer against refs. But there is one certain one that interjects himself in the game. The best reffed game is one where you don't talk about the refs. Couldn't say that today... again with this same guy. As soon as I saw him pregame I said OH S*^T. Sure enough, he lived down to his reputation.
If you're talking about the gray haired guy... he's the absolute worst!

Again I'm gonna hop in and give props to the development of Mwenentanda. Came in and got 7 points in 14 minutes of play. Two of those baskets were made with k state sagging off her and not respecting her as a shooter. I hope her confidence continues to grow at the right time.

Again I'm gonna hop in and give props to the development of Mwenentanda. Came in and got 7 points in 14 minutes of play. Two of those baskets were made with k state sagging off her and not respecting her as a shooter. I hope her confidence continues to grow at the right time.
And she wasn't perfect down the stretch but deserved her spot at the presser.

I was surprised to see Jak at the press conference. She only played 13 minutes and had some iffy ball handling. I'm pretty sure this wasn't shown on TV, but during that last few possessions when we were trying to burn the clock and K-State was pressing, Jak barely kept possession of the ball when Vic called a time out. AMo was frustrated with Jak and was talking to her and pointing her fingers to her own head for that universal gesture of "use your head". Jak was frustrated at being lectured and in the huddle she held up both hands, palm up and said something like, "What was I supposed to do? I couldn't see....."

And that question that Kirk Bohls asked Booker. That was borderline insulting the way it was put and you could see the wheels in Madi's head trying to figure out how to politely answer the question.
Not a fan of Leaders leading that way. I hope no one points to their head when she does something wrong. That gesture may have lead to the frustration in the huddle. This is just my opinion and belief but I'm just not a fan of the public reprimand player to player.:bevo:

Is KState a legit number 2? If so this team has a chance to go far.
KState was #8 when they lost Lee to injury. They made it to #2 without her. We dropped from #5 to #12 without Rori. KState seemed legit but then they lost to unranked OU after beating them a couple of weeks earlier. But OU beat us and now leads the conference. Who knows if KState is a legit #2 :idk: I think they are a legit good team and I think they earned that ranking. At the time, they only had the one loss to Iowa - KState beat #2 Iowa and then lost to #5 Iowa three games later back in November.

I’m not looking forward to the B12 tourney if they get Lee back. Heck, I’m not looking forward to it even if they don’t get her back.

The B12 is a strange conference this year with an unranked team in the top spot.

Last edited:
KState was #8 when they lost Lee to injury. They made it to #2 without her. We dropped from #5 to #12 without Rori. KState seemed legit but then they lost to unranked OU after beating them a couple of weeks earlier. But OU beat us and now leads the conference. Who knows if KState is a legit #2 :idk: I think they are a legit good team and I think they earned that ranking. I’m not looking forward to the B12 tourney if they get Lee back. Heck, I’m not looking forward to it even if they don’t get her back. KState beat #2 Iowa and then lost to #5 Iowa three games later back in November.

The B12 is a strange conference this year with an unranked team in the top spot.
Is Lee projected to be back this year?

And she wasn't perfect down the stretch but deserved her spot at the presser.

Agree. She made the most of her minutes. Re AMo “reprimanding” her at the timeout, that’s fine with me. I didn’t think it was a negative thing but basically telling her to not lose focus which she seems prone to do. I also noticed Booker had to redirect Jak a time or two on the floor. Glad she has apparently been working hard in practice to earn playing time.

Schaefer made a commment during the presser day before the game about having 1700 students created a great atmosphere for players.
How he was working on getting more students into lower seats. I didn't realize MSU got those kinds of crowds at WBB games
He made the comment at post game presser about how loud the students cheered.
Only 8300 at game against #2 team? Kinda sad.

Edit
MY apologies to Coach Schaefer. He said 1700 students. Darn I hate that I misrepresented what he said

Last edited:
Schaefer made a commment during the presser day before the game about having 17,000 fans especially students created a great atmosphere for players.
How he was working on getting more students into lower seats. I didn't realize MSU got those kinds of crowds at WBB games

Attendance at women's basketball games since the glory days has always been a burr under my saddle.
It's sad when you can hear people's conversations from 3 rows behind you.

Have watched several games over the last 5-6 years from all over the country where the crowds were rocking. Ours..not so much.
Don't know how to fix it. Maybe a day long experience like the football team ?

Attendance at women's basketball games since the glory days has always been a burr under my saddle.

Have watched several games over the last 5-6 years from all over the country where the crowds were rocking. Ours..not so much.
I wonder if part of this issue is related to many great sports options at UT. There are a number of good teams to watch. It gets to a point that you can't attend everything. Even in the spring when there isn't much that you would think about, you had the baseball alumni game on Saturday. Add to that, the men's basketball game against TCU. Everyone knows that UT is a great place for other things...Eagles/Steely Dan at the Moody this past weekend, etc. It's hard to spend the entire weekend focused on UT sports.

Schaefer made a commment during the presser day before the game about having 17,000 fans especially students created a great atmosphere for players.
8,300 is actually a great number for us considering how far attendance dropped in the years following Conradt’s retirement. As someone who has been attending games 20+ years, I know part of the issue is how many other options you have in Austin and the difficulty in getting to the arena (old and new) with traffic and parking. That said, we’ve never had the student support that many other schools achieve. In fact, I think it’s remarkable we hit the numbers we do despite the lack of student support. Solving the student support issue is above my pay grade, but I hope someone finally figures it out. It might be as simple as winning more games.. which really isn’t simple.

Last edited:

My theory, unproven, is that LHN makes it so people don't have to drive in anymore to see the game in person. And when we get over to the SEC, SEC+ will just take over.

The first year or so I was on campus the ladies outdrew the men, until Penders came along. I think it's several things - LHN, team performance between the Jody and Vic years that we're still recovering from, other options both on campus and in Austin, and the historical fact the Erwin Center wasn't as conducive to just strolling over for a game.

LHN will be gone shortly, performance is vastly improved, and Moody solves any ease of access and/or distance issue. The other options thing is here to stay, but hopefully consistent performance and time will help moving forward.

8,300 is actually a great number for us considering how far attendance dropped in the years following Conradt’s retirement. As someone who had been attending games 20+ years, I know part of the issue is how many other options you have in Austin and the difficulty in getting to the arena (old and new) with traffic and parking. That said, we’ve never had the student support that many other schools achieve. In fact, I think it’s remarkable we hit the numbers we do despite the lack of student support. Solving the student support issue is above my pay grade, but I hope someone finally figures it out. It might be as simple as winning more games.. which really isn’t simple.
During Jody's glory days, UT women were the #2 basketball in draw (playing in the FEC) in the SWC behind the Arkansas men.

8,300 is actually a great number for us considering how far attendance dropped in the years following Conradt’s retirement. As someone who had been attending games 20+ years, I know part of the issue is how many other options you have in Austin and the difficulty in getting to the arena (old and new) with traffic and parking. That said, we’ve never had the student support that many other schools achieve. In fact, I think it’s remarkable we hit the numbers we do despite the lack of student support. Solving the student support issue is above my pay grade, but I hope someone finally figures it out. It might be as simple as winning more games.. which really isn’t simple.
Give away free stuff like food, drinks and Longhorn Swag to the students. That way they’ll have a direct benefit in the profits generated.

The first year or so I was on campus the ladies outdrew the men, until Penders came along. I think it's several things - LHN, team performance between the Jody and Vic years that we're still recovering from, other options both on campus and in Austin, and the historical fact the Erwin Center wasn't as conducive to just strolling over for a game.

LHN will be gone shortly, performance is vastly improved, and Moody solves any ease of access and/or distance issue. The other options thing is here to stay, but hopefully consistent performance and time will help moving forward.

Agree with almost everything you said. But the Erwin Center was when we were at the height of our attendance, so that statement....not sure it matches the numbers?

I've seen longtime season ticket holders, still hold season tickets but now they live in Manor and say, "I just don't feel like driving to Austin for a night game. The traffic is awful (it is in Manor now) and I don't want to drive back in the dark. I'll just watch it on LHN".

And they just "eat" their tickets.

A lot of great comments here after K State.

Bohls lost his mind in asking Booker who took over her body in the first half. Look at KState defense and the adjustments we made.

The crowd is bigger in the Mood than Erwin in recent years and the impact of the smaller arena is better. TV hurts the crowd, as any traffic or weather in those mid week games and we often watch on tv.

I do not know basketball well enough to know how K. State kept us from most of the paint during this game. I thought it was the charging calls we were getting when we would drive the basket no matter what the other team was doing. At some point, you start shooting threes.

Coach assessed this well. Due to injuries, he limited the practice on court and that showed up in shooting.

Agree with almost everything you said. But the Erwin Center was when we were at the height of our attendance, so that statement....not sure it matches the numbers?

I've seen longtime season ticket holders, still hold season tickets but now they live in Manor and say, "I just don't feel like driving to Austin for a night game. The traffic is awful (it is in Manor now) and I don't want to drive back in the dark. I'll just watch it on LHN".

And they just "eat" their tickets.
The Jody era fans are old. I'm old. I used to go watch in the mid 80s even though I lived nowhere near campus. It was easy to get downtown because Austin traffic didn't suck back then. It was easier to park for the same reason. It's a pain in the butt to go the the Moody center from Lockhart these days, and though I do not hold season tickets I think what you said is 100% spot on.

I'd like to see a centralized marketplace where people not attending can make their seats available to others who want to attend. @DFW_Horn has been kind to me in this regard. We would need to screen out weirdos like aggy fans somehow, but there has to be a way to let people who are willing to brave the traffic know they can attend, and easily.

Several have noted the sloppiness of this game, concur! Perhsps due to being tired but maybe some of it was just a few trying to do tto much.

Man, we really need Rori back ASAP but it's not happening. What about getting Maul a little more PT? Sure she got in 3 min yesterday and 18 for the season but she needs to get some experience. Booker is getting it done but she is not a natural pg and we all knew that but she seem to give us the best option, although she tends to play out of control at times / forcing a little too much which seems to result in to's and takes some shots where it seems she could pass it up for a beter opportunity. Great player but may need to back off some.....guess Vic knows best!! Would not be 21-3 without her presencece!!!

Vic may have had 17,000 at one game but his average attendance during his Miss. St. tenure took a few years to get to the level we'd all like.
2013-14: 2321
2014-15: 3755
2015-16: 5162
2016-17: 6641
2017-18: 7349
2018-19: 8446
2019-20: 7681

Back in our heyday, we had:
1986-87: 5289
1987-88: 6639
1988-89: 7663
1989-90: 8481
1990-91: 7525
1991-92: 6161

1986-1991, we were NCAA attendance champions. South Carolina has been the leader since the 2014-15 season, steadily averaging 10-14 thousand plus [actual avg over 7 seasons:12,465].

Please don't take this as a criticism of Coach. I'm a huge fan, but it may take a bit to pull us up, given all the issues raised above versus Starkville.

Cactus
thank for your posting the actual facts. I really screwed up and posting 17,000 instead of 1700. Darn I hate that I did that. I went back and corrected my really stupid post
I did not take your post as any criticism of Coach .
He RIGHTLY wants the students down on the floor

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back