Texas Tech @ Texas 02.21.2024

I do not like when refs insert themselves like they did this game. 43 fouls called including a technical and an intentional. They called pretty evenly but they called way too much… shockingly it worked in our favor getting to the line 3x more often where we shot 70% thanks mostly to Booker.

A win is a win is a win but that was just awful to watch.

ESPN had us down for two technicals. I remember the intentional call on Jones. Was there a second?

It we can't guard this lame-a## team from the perimeter, we are toast this weekend again oU. Just awful perimeter defense tonight against a team we should have destroyed. Hopefully this will be a wake up call. Really hurt to have Booker on the bench for 15 mins. She missed more than a full Qtr, and it really showed.
Well, then it's a good thing we play at UCF this weekend and not at OU.

ESPN had us down for two technicals. I remember the intentional call on Jones. Was there a second?
That call pissed me off to no end. The Tech chick (who is a pretty good player) is allowed to pull Taylor's arm down, throwing her off balance, then stand there like an idiot and get smacked in the face, and it's Taylor's fault?

Post game press conference

I would prefer if Vic kept his negativity in the locker room rather than in the media room, but that might be a me thing. The whole “it’s on me” fell flat and insincere. He’s sitting there next to a young woman who just pulled down 15 rebounds, including 10 offensive and he could barely throw her a compliment. Maybe that’s the way to motivate, but I don’t like it playing out in public. Not saying it’s not true. But Jones seems to agree so what do I know?

I would prefer if Vic kept his negativity in the locker room rather than in the media room, but that might be a me thing. The whole “it’s on me” fell flat and insincere. He’s sitting there next to a young woman who just pulled down 15 rebounds, including 10 offensive and he could barely throw her a compliment. Maybe that’s the way to motivate, but I don’t like it playing out in public. Not saying it’s not true. But Jones seems to agree so what do I know?
Agreed. Amina was awesome tonight and the story should have been more about that rather than what the rest of the team didn’t do.

Amina played 34 minutes tonight which was 2nd on the team. She knows coach rewards good play with minutes. I’m sure she’s fine with that. She had a fantastic game that’s for sure. Her traveling calls remind me of Tiffany Jackson every time she gets called for that

As they say an ugly win is better than an ugly loss. Horrible officiating helped make it ugly, but most of the offensive fouls were legit. Just brain dead play.

One thing that stands out to me.

Min Played - Maul: 21 Nwennentunga - 4
Turnovers - Maul: 0 Nwennentunga - 2

Maul is the one that needs to play more. If you want more min then quit throwing the ball to the other team. Duh!

As they say an ugly win is better than an ugly loss. Horrible officiating helped make it ugly, but most of the offensive fouls were legit. Just brain dead play.

One thing that stands out to me.

Min Played - Maul: 21 Nwennentunga - 4
Turnovers - Maul: 0 Nwennentunga - 2

Maul is the one that needs to play more. If you want more min then quit throwing the ball to the other team. Duh!
One of Mwenentanda's turnovers was a travel call. The other was a poor decision to pass.

Yep. As I was watching the PC, I kept thinking it was more of a punishment than an honor to be invited to the PC.

I don't have a problem with anything Vic said... the truth is what it is. We play ANY other team in the Big 12 other than an injury depleted Texas Tech (who had far less talent to begin with) with that lack of focus and poor effort, we would get embarrassed. At this point in the season what do you do as a coach to make players understand what they've worked so hard for, overcome so much for, and what they're playing for?

This type of effort makes me want to cancel flight and hotel reservations to KC. I can take a loss... but I can't take piss poor effort. What I saw last night was our super freshman having a bit of an off game, and her backcourt mates do pretty much nothing to pick up the slack for her. Instead, they got DESTROYED by the other team's two sophomore guards. Shivers and Maupin made them look like two birdbaths out there on the court. Good thing we had great effort from Muhammad and Jones (and Gaston) or it would've been a loss.

Call me harsh, call me unfair, get pissed at me all you want... just calling it like I see it. If that guard play does not improve its consistency it'll be a very early out for us in March.

1. Having an out-of-nowhere loss near the end of the season has usually been a nice kick-in-the-shorts for women's volleyball and propelled them to championships. They've said it got them to refocus. I believe this was the same thing, but better in that we didn't lose!

2. As I was leaving Moody, I was thinking two thoughts. First, when was the last time we won a game even after giving up twelve 3's? Second, this was a good scare before meeting up with OU again, which dropped ten 3's on us.

3. The fact that Vic chews out his players in a Press Conference is fine. The players he has coached for more than 1 year knows this is his style, his "honesty" and if they didn't like it well then there's the transfer portal to your left.

4. He's willing to say in public what he says in private. That's transparency. Harsh and old school, but that's the way he's always been so why would we want him to fake it for their feelings? There's the transfer portal on your left.

5. And ironically, Chevalier hit the portal after playing 1 season (28 games) and 7 games into the second.

3. The fact that Vic chews out his players in a Press Conference is fine. The players he has coached for more than 1 year knows this is his style, his "honesty" and if they didn't like it well then there's the transfer portal to your left.

4. He's willing to say in public what he says in private. That's transparency. Harsh and old school, but that's the way he's always been so why would we want him to fake it for their feelings? There's the transfer portal on your left.
Feel free to join Ashley and the others who think that kind of tough love is corrosive to their mental health.

I almost did not listen to the press conference after reading the comments. The post game interview after the OU game was harsh. His temper was much more muted last night. And, yeah, can’t argue with his take. A loss would have (not could have) had big post season consequences.

If you are going to disparage the teams performance, dont do it with the two people who deserve praise sitting with you. Seems like common sense. Come out alone and take responsibility.

One of Mwenentanda's turnovers was a travel call. The other was a poor decision to pass.
It doesn't matter to me what type of turnover it is. The fact is she's over half way through her 2nd season and is not taking care of the ball. Her turnover ratio is over double that of Shay's. I would rather see more of Maul, and I'd also like to see enough of Codio to see what she can do.

I don't have a problem with anything Vic said... the truth is what it is. We play ANY other team in the Big 12 other than an injury depleted Texas Tech (who had far less talent to begin with) with that lack of focus and poor effort, we would get embarrassed. At this point in the season what do you do as a coach to make players understand what they've worked so hard for, overcome so much for, and what they're playing for?

This type of effort makes me want to cancel flight and hotel reservations to KC. I can take a loss... but I can't take piss poor effort. What I saw last night was our super freshman having a bit of an off game, and her backcourt mates do pretty much nothing to pick up the slack for her. Instead, they got DESTROYED by the other team's two sophomore guards. Shivers and Maupin made them look like two birdbaths out there on the court. Good thing we had great effort from Muhammad and Jones (and Gaston) or it would've been a loss.

Call me harsh, call me unfair, get pissed at me all you want... just calling it like I see it. If that guard play does not improve its consistency it'll be a very early out for us in March.
You might be right. But referencing his salary was pretty gross. The whole thing was super negative. I’d prefer he kept that talk in the locker room. But that’s more on me than anything else. I know that the Genos, Mulkeys and the Pat Summits of the world do/did it too, so that’s probably the mark of a coach driven to succeed. But Pat was the only one that seemed to do it with a little grace. She was pretty clever about it too. Locked one of her teams out of the locker room. Lol

Last edited:
It doesn't matter to me what type of turnover it is. The fact is she's over half way through her 2nd season and is not taking care of the ball. Her turnover ratio is over double that of Shay's. I would rather see more of Maul, and I'd also like to see enough of Codio to see what she can do.
Jaq has moments of greatness followed by moments of looking lost. Head scratcher. Maul might not have had turnovers, but she has a tendency to run into traffic and then throw the ball up hoping it reaches the basket. That said, I’m glad she’s getting more minutes. I think it will lead to good things from her.

I, too, don't have any problems with what Vic said. I do have problems with his having to motivate the team to play consistently at this late date. I played organized sports well into my 40s and I can only remember one time (ONE TIME) being ragged by a coach for crappy play. My team and I knew the importance of games and playing on all cylinders without a coach having to exhort us to do better and taking the blame when we didn't. It's just unfathomable to me that Vic is having to coach the team up at this point in time. If they don't know it themselves, what does that say about the team overall? I JUST DON'T GET IT!

We are about to play a game in Jordana's home town. I really hope Vic finds a way to get her some minutes.

Feel free to join Ashley and the others who think that kind of tough love is corrosive to their mental health.
Speaking of the drama queen, it was nice to see her flame out again in her last appearance in Austin. The Senior PG played 23 min, had 0 pts, 1 asst. Missed both of her FTs too. All of that without having to be guarded by Rori. We really lucked out shedding that dead weight.

Recent Threads

Back