Riots in Minneapolis

Good thing is we'll probably have a republican president after the next election. Chauvin will get his justice.

It’s scary watching government prosecutions of police officers, politicians and ordinary citizens. If you haven’t seen “Take Care of Maya” on Netflix, I highly recommend it. It’s infuriating to see how the judicial system can treat some people.

Good thing is we'll probably have a republican president after the next election. Chauvin will get his justice.
While I hope we have a Republican in office, they cannot pardon a State-level conviction. Chauvin will continue to get screwed over due to the libtiles who hold office in MN.

Yeah, you're right. However, a republican president and a republican AG can keep up the public pressure on the state to do the right thing.

Bingo. The professional malpractice suit against the lawyer and his firm being filed in .... .

Not likely to succeed. Proving causation for malpractice suit for a criminal conviction is very tough. Furthermore, some states' tort laws impose very onerous restrictions. For example, Texas won't even let you bring a malpractice suit related to a conviction without first showing that you've been exonerated on direct appeal, through post-conviction relief or otherwise. That's a big deal and insurmountable for most whose lawyers screw up.

Not likely to succeed. Proving causation for malpractice suit for a criminal conviction is very tough. Furthermore, some states' tort laws impose very onerous restrictions. For example, Texas won't even let you bring a malpractice suit related to a conviction without first showing that you've been exonerated on direct appeal, through post-conviction relief or otherwise. That's a big deal and insurmountable for most whose lawyers screw up.
I have seen loss causes brought forward. Someone will try, but I didn't say it would be easy.

I have seen loss causes brought forward. Someone will try, but I didn't say it would be easy.

It happens. It's just extraordinarily rare. There are far, far more big screwups in criminal courts that lead to convictions than there are viable malpractice claims. Most criminal defense lawyers I know don't even carry malpractice insurance. Too low of a risk to justify the cost.

Back