Republican convention and Trump's VP pick

Rubio? Hell no.

What's wrong with Rubio? He was a bit of a goofball when he ran in '16, but if you look at speeches and comments he has made in the last several years, he has been damn good.

The upside is that he speaks Spanish and would shore up Latino support. It would help in Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, and maybe even New Mexico.

I think Vance burns too much of the goodwill the just got stored up. I would have preferred Donalds or Scott to bring in more of the black vote. Vivek would also have been fun to see in debates...dude can spit fire!

This debate brought to you by AlAnon.

I've been at least somewhat drunk by the end of almost every presidential debate starting in '16. By the time they're over, I'm usually in about 4 beers and either some El Padrino extra añejo tequila or some English whisky.

I think Vance burns too much of the goodwill the just got stored up. I would have preferred Donalds or Scott to bring in more of the black vote. Vivek would also have been fun to see in debates...dude can spit fire!

I was hoping for Rubio or Scott but still don't know much about Vance. I really like Vivek. Not sure why he didn't make the short list.

I think Sean Trende makes my point better than I did. Link.
One question that jumped immediately to mind in reading that.

Is Trump a panderer?

Apparently, he is not. He didn't pander to the Hispanic vote by selecting Rubio. Nor the black vote by slecting Scott. He didn't pander to Virginians, women (Nikki), and on and on.

I think Trump believes he can win enough of those voters by the strength of his message, and by contrasting his 4 years against Biden's horrific shitshow. No doubt it is counter to standard political wisdom. But consider that had trump selected Rubio (for example), every coordinated media piece would have been about Trump pandering to Hispanics. Pandering would have become the magnified byword of the day, like "gravitas", "collusion", and other BS that has been spewed by the drive-by types for ages. Of course, they would conveniently ignore Biden's blatant pandering in selecting Kneepad Harris, but you already know how those turds play the game.

Trump is going to catch a bunch of their **** no matter what he does. So I have no problem with him picking who he picked. The media will have to come at him from a different angle, is all.

What's wrong with Rubio? He was a bit of a goofball when he ran in '16, but if you look at speeches and comments he has made in the last several years, he has been damn good.

The upside is that he speaks Spanish and would shore up Latino support. It would help in Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, and maybe even New Mexico.
That was my thought too. I don't know what Vance brings to the table. Trump needs someone that can tip the scales to electoral votes.

A Rino or even a lesser Republican that can tilt the electoral is still 100x better than letting the dims continue to destroy our country.

That was my thought too. I don't know what Vance brings to the table. Trump needs someone that can tip the scales to electoral votes.

A Rino or even a lesser Republican that can tilt the electoral is still 100x better than letting the dims continue to destroy our country.
Forgot to add this.

J.D. Vance represents the right wing populist subset of the Republican Party. His views don't target racial minorities directly but the racial minorities that have any chance of voting R will do so out of populist interests.

He is libertarian adjacent on some subjects, a culture warrior on others, and mainstream on war or at least on Iran. I think he is for ending support for Ukraine though.

I don't agree with him on his tendencies towards protectionism, but that is something Trump was already following.

Vance is basically and Pat (James) Buchananite, a rejection of Bush 2 and the McCain/Romney wing of the party. Overall a good pick.

Is there anyone Harris could debate on the R side that would make her look good?

Lauren Boebert? She's the only one who might out-sleaze her a little. I don't think Harris did anything with Willie Brown in public - at least not in the era of camera phones.

One question that jumped immediately to mind in reading that.

Is Trump a panderer?

Apparently, he is not. He didn't pander to the Hispanic vote by selecting Rubio. Nor the black vote by slecting Scott. He didn't pander to Virginians, women (Nikki), and on and on.

I think Trump believes he can win enough of those voters by the strength of his message, and by contrasting his 4 years against Biden's horrific shitshow. No doubt it is counter to standard political wisdom. But consider that had trump selected Rubio (for example), every coordinated media piece would have been about Trump pandering to Hispanics. Pandering would have become the magnified byword of the day, like "gravitas", "collusion", and other BS that has been spewed by the drive-by types for ages. Of course, they would conveniently ignore Biden's blatant pandering in selecting Kneepad Harris, but you already know how those turds play the game.

Trump is going to catch a bunch of their **** no matter what he does. So I have no problem with him picking who he picked. The media will have to come at him from a different angle, is all.

Really? Look at the platform. It is the epitome of pandering.

Lauren Boebert? She's the only one who might out-sleaze her a little. I don't think Harris did anything with Willie Brown in public - at least not in the era of camera phones.
Hmm, hadn't thought of anyone realistically selecting a Rep.

Really? Look at the platform. It is the epitome of pandering.
I'm looking at it from the perspective of "how will the liberal media attack him"?

Pandering probably won't be used against him based on the platform (because, after all, who really reads the platform?), but it sure would be more likely based on his VP pick.

I watched Hillbilly Elegy on Netflix last night. It's a fantastic show. You should watch it. JD Vance is such a good guy to break through his (mostly) very awful past, and rise past multi-generational poor choices and outcomes. Glenn Close was an excellent actress playing a course and crude Grandmother who somehow held their family together against absurd odds, and with the help of young JD.

Vance is a good guy. A really good guy.

Boebert would still out-debate the Cackling Queen of Word Salad.

If it had been Rubio we would have been subjected to his water glass fiasco night after night.
I was surprised about J.D. only because I thought there would be more on the ‘who can help me more with -fill in the blank issue’ . Time will tell but Vance may prove an excellent choice, guy is definitely sharp and should be fun against Kamala.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of "how will the liberal media attack him"?

Pandering probably won't be used against him based on the platform (because, after all, who really reads the platform?), but it sure would be more likely based on his VP pick.

I assume the liberal media will attack him, so I don't care about them. However, I do care how others who aren't the liberal media perceive the ticket.

She might end up slamming a few wine coolers and taking her top off to do it, but she probably would out-debate her.

I wanna see that.

glenn-quagmire-family-guy.gif

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back