Republican convention and Trump's VP pick

Sangre Naranjada

10,000+ Posts
Any predictions for VP? I know we have beat on this topic a few times, but I thought a separate thread for all things convention related could go here.

Frankly, I think Trump's first entrance, with a bandaged ear and all, well, it's gonna' be EPIC.

I think Vance, but I don't think it's the best choice. I think Trump can win OH without Vance. I think Rubio would be a great choice because the Hispanic vote is huge, but I don't think they get allong well enough.

The concern I have is this...

Does Vance vacate his senate seat? If so, when? And then, how certain is it the Republicans will hold that seat? Will there be an election to replace him or will his replacement be named by the Ohio governor?

I like the Vance pick among his choices.

If you have not seen it, I highly recommend you view the 2020 movie Hillbilly Elegy (was Netflix originally).

Director is Ron Howard. Stars include Gabriel Brasso, Glenn Close and Amy Adams. It is based on Vance growing up and coming of age.

You will have a new appreciation for what Vance had to overcome to become successful. THEN get picked GOP VP on the Trump ticket.

Last edited:
I don't see the strategy. Vance helps in a state and with a demographic that Trump already has wrapped up.

I don't see the strategy. Vance helps in a state and with a demographic that Trump already has wrapped up.
3 reasons:
1/ insurance against assassination
2/ FU to the deep state
3/ Can run for president in 2028 (it eliminates the lame duck issue after 2026 midterm elections)

3 reasons:
1/ insurance against assassination
2/ FU to the deep state
3/ Can run for president in 2028 (it eliminates the lame duck issue after 2026 midterm elections)

None of that matters if Trump loses. But I know. It's over already.

No, dont have a link but I was texted by a good friend that Elon Musk just pledged $45MM....

PER MONTH!

PER MONTH, to a new Trump PAC!!!

Whoa!!!

Last edited:
Are you thinking Trump needs a gay, black, trans women as VP?

I would have been fine with most of the other presidential candidates or perhaps Rubio or Youngkin - somebody to suggest a unity ticket and someone to appeal to a demographic not already in the bag.
Rubio? Hell no. But Youngkin would have been a solid pick. I like Vance, but he is really young and inexperienced.

Any predictions for VP? I know we have beat on this topic a few times, but I thought a separate thread for all things convention related could go here.

Frankly, I think Trump's first entrance, with a bandaged ear and all, well, it's gonna' be EPIC.

Trump's entrance about to happen...

It will ROCK this convention center for 10-15 minutes!!

Rubio? Hell no. But Youngkin would have been a solid pick. I like Vance, but he is really young and inexperienced.
Too young, too inexperienced. I think Vance has been such a strong supporter (suck up maybe) that DJT sees him as someone who will aggressively pursue what the commander orders. He does have a pretty compelling personal story though. Although I'm sure the "investigative journalists" will come out of the woodwork to say he lied about his "biography". And it will only be a couple of days before Glenn Close disavows her part in the movie I'm sure.

SEISMIC!!!

I'M BLOWN AWAY!!!

WOW, THE F' TEAMSTERS UNION NOT ONLY SPOKE AT THE CONVENTION BUT in effect ENDORSED TRUMP!!

I'm not a big supporter of unions but pleased with the conversion and speech, so far......

However, a little later on this pro-union speech is really getting uncomfortable.

I'm starting to have some regrets with some of the statements.

Last edited:
Vance was my least favorite choice. He it too young, too inexperienced, and a mini-Trump. I doubt Trump's ego would allow anyone who would challenge him on anything, but Vance is the worst, along with Tim Scott.
I don't see Vance bringing any positives to the ticket.
I would have loved Youngkin, and I would have really loved for Trump to beg Nikki Hailey to serve.
Looking to the future, I don't see Vance beating Gavin Newsome. And that will be the end of America if that grease ball gets his hands on the White House.

^^^ Honestly, if it's a Trump- Vance vs Biden- Harris election, I suspect very few voters are going to be influenced much or vote those 2 ticket choices solely based on the VP's.

Hey, what about a future VP debate???

Vance vs The Giggle Queen!

That is going to be fun and perhaps a drinking game for Kamala giggles, repeats and absurd claims!

Well, I thought Trump was going to speak tonight. Probably better he did not. Little more time to decompress from Sat.

SEISMIC!!!

I'M BLOWN AWAY!!!

WOW, THE F' TEAMSTERS UNION NOT ONLY SPOKE AT THE CONVENTION BUT in effect ENDORSED TRUMP!!

I'm not a big supporter of unions but pleased with the conversion and speech so far.

However, this pro-union speech is really getting uncomfortable now.

I'm starting to have some regrets with some statements.
The public employees unions lean very heavily Democratic, as does the leadership of a lot of private sector unions including the UAW. Yet much of the rank and file of the private sector unions can’t stand the Democrats.

Far-Left leaning unions: Culinary Workers (Nevada). ILWU (dock workers/shipyards—founded and built up by actual Communist Party members).

The Teamsters are an interesting case. They strongly supported Nixon who cultivated that relationship. Some believe the Teamsters leadership and people supposedly behind them became anti-Democrat starting back in the JFK’s presidency. But that might just be rumors.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back