Port Strike

Some think they have no competition, but they do. Canadian ports, and Mexican ports will eventually automate. Together, the KCS, CN, and CP can take the goods from the Canadian and Mexican ports and put them in the US heartland.

In fact, I think one of the Canadian roads took over the KCS. (So I guess that makes Port Arthur a Canuck colony).
They'll have to fight the Saudis for it. They have bought up all of what was once "downtown" Port Arthur. If I understand correctly, the Saudis have even bought the old Auditorium Hotel (for those of you whose grandfathers told you stories about it), even though I'm not sure the Saudis know its history. Who knows they may put up a tribute in the lobby too Steve McQueen.

Last edited:
They'll have to fight the Saudis for it. They have bought up all of what was once "downtown Port Arthur. If I understand correctly, they Saudis have even bought the old Auditorium Hotel (for those of you whose grandfathers told you stories about it), even though I'm not sure the Saudis know its history. Who knows they may put up a tribute in the lobby too Steve McQueen.
What a bizarre place. A Saudi owned town filled with Vietnamese people and run down buildings.

What a bizarre place. A Saudi owned town filled with Vietnamese people and run down buildings.
Those buildings are NOT "rundown; they are abandoned.

If the workers at Motiva or Valero want food or beverage, they have to go all the way to Twin City Hwy or down 287 to 365.

Wondering of Demx have the ending of the strike timed out so there is minimal effect on everyday voters BUT Commeila gets the benefit of saying she stands with the strikers

By the way, the ILA (Gulf and Atlantic ports in the US) is the moderate Longshoreman's Union. Historically relatively reasonable, but not afraid of a fight (including actual bloody physical fights).

The ILWU (Pacific ports in the US) members and leadership are the wide eyed radicals--founded and built up by Communist Party USA members and Kremlin stooges (including no-sh!t actual Communist spies and agents). Even Hawaii governor Burns had to deal with them, and was called a "fellow traveler" for it. They brought down the port of San Francisco for months and months.

Strike paused until January. All back go work tomorrow.
Although the Dems will beat their chest and proclaim credit for their team, this is solely the work of the Chinese. All those toys and presents "made in China" weren't going to make it under the Christmas trees.

They can argue about wages, and their already high wages will probably go up even more, but you can't stop automation and advances in technology.

Their wages are higher than you would expect in an industry that has become highly mechanized, but, like all wages, their actual wages have fallen about 6% over the last 3 1/2 years.

If they stick to no automation, the industry will rebuild in Mexico and Canada and ship to the US by mostly rail killing most of the strikers' jobs. Automation will eliminate jobs, but not as many as the Mexican rail scenario.

They can argue about wages, and their already high wages will probably go up even more, but you can't stop automation and advances in technology.

From what I understand the ILA wanted to focus more on exporting versus importing. Maybe Art van de Lay can help broker a deal.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-OU *
Sat, Oct 12 • 2:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back