Dismiss Notice

Hey Hornfans,

I posted an update to the Upgrades Notice so check that out if you’re interested. It’s happening late Thursday night, more details on the thread.

~ Dion

Ping G5 vs. Nike Slingshot (irons)

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by austintexas, Nov 30, 2007.

1. austintexas

austintexas Guest

Going to hit both this weekend, see which I prefer. Any thoughts? (I'm about a 20-25).

2. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

I will be astonished if you don't prefer the Pings.

3. tx 3 putt

tx 3 putt 100+ Posts

What Suttree said.

Pings have been putting out a top product for a long time.

4. austintexas

austintexas Guest

i anticipated these responses and, based on Ping's reputation, may be going that way. But I obviously need to hit them first. I have hit the Nikes before and really liked them. Knowing many folks hit Eye 2s still after all these years and the G5 has the same sort of reputation, I'm leaning that way, provided I like they way the feel in my hand. Price is about a wash.

5. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

fwiw, i have had the g2's since about 2004-5 and really like them.

6. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

on another note. i have what is now an incomplete set if Eye2's. other than clubfinder, what is my best bet on finding single clubs?

I hit g5's for now, but it drives me nuts to have the incomp. set in the garage.

* I am going to the range tonight to hit some of my dad's old clubs i got out of his house after he dies last year. They are hogan radials and I used to love those damn things.

7. UTinBigD

UTinBigD 250+ Posts

I found some PE2 beryl clubs to replace my lost ones at dallasgolf. Of that's convenient for me here in Dallas, but I think they ship as well (dallasgolf.com)

You will pay for the privilege, but I have had the things for close to 25 years now, so it was worth it.

8. austintexas

austintexas Guest

do they make the G5 in copper beryllium?

9. tx 3 putt

tx 3 putt 100+ Posts

If that shop is still on Burnet ( Instant Replay I believe), might be a good place to start.

Ping can replace clubs if you give them a serial number. They will also refurbish about anything. The clubs will come back looking brand new. They are known for having some of the best service in the business.

10. AUinAustin

AUinAustin 250+ Posts

The replacement PE2 clubs from Ping will not be th identical club. It will have the conforming groove which is slightly different than the original non conforming groove. This is assuming that you have the original PE2's not the PE2+ modeis which had a very slight difference in the sole and the newer grooves.

11. shakahorn

shakahorn 25+ Posts

I'm the only guy I know with slingshots. Nothing to write home about as far as performance. What can I say, I bought 'em for the swoosh. I had cobras before that were about 5 years old, forget the model, and they were just as good if not better.

My index was close to 14 when I got the nikes and now it's 11.7. But I chalk this up to my R7 (bought the day after we won the Rose Bowl), pro v1's, and mostly to the fact that I started playing 5-6 times a month.

12. LobWedgePhil

LobWedgePhil 100+ Posts

I would go with the Ping's, but I for one can not stand Nike golf clubs, at all. I never used to like Ping's either, but they seem to be making about as good of a set of clubs that you can buy these days. The quality of their irons has become so much better in the last few years.

13. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

14. austintexas

austintexas Guest

I hit the Slingshots, Callaway X20s and the Ping G 10s yesterday at Golfsmith. The Callaways quickly knocked the Nikes out of the box. THen the G10s knocked the Callaways out, but more based on aesthetics. The X20s felt really good. But I'm going with Ping G10s.

15. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

16. austintexas

austintexas Guest

I take lessons. Some of us work, have kids, have wives that work, etc. and getting on the course more than once a month is difficult. But thanks for the wiseass tip.

17. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

I play or hit ball about five times a year and do better than that. Clubs aren't going to change a lot for you if that is your handicap.

18. austintexas

austintexas Guest

good for you

19. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

I completely disagree that clubs don't matter for a 20-25 handicap. 20-25 is much better than the "average" golfer, and depending on your strengths and weaknesses something like a club change can have a drastic impact on your game.

20. austintexas

austintexas Guest

With my game, I just try to make bogey on every hole. The occasional double with the one snowman per round keeps me from being a 15-18. Recently shot 39 on the back at Avery Ranch (6 pars, 3 bogeys). Been hitting the same irons for some time and I have found that hitting the newer irons literally adds @ 10 yards to each iron. For me, that will make a difference both in confidence and getting the shortest iron in my hand as possible (short game is my strength). Price isn't much of a factor, so Pings it is.

I love the game and am trying to get better. Not all of us can have Tyler's God-given golf swing.

21. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

You can't go wrong with Pings. I'd get a new set if I ever played any more.

22. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

23. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

I can probably pull a 95 at Avery and I never I have played twice in the past 18 months. I took 4 lessons about 6 or 7 years ago and that dropped me from a mid 90's to a mid 60's in about 6 weeks.

my suggestions are multiple but simple really....
    1) get a 60 Clevland or similar wedge with a fat sole and learn to use it so you NEVER will not get out of the trap. -2 stokes
    2) Get really good mking a VERIETY of shots with your 7 iron. Learn to hit a straight bump and run shot from about 100 yards in that will get you close to the hole. Isn't as sexy as dropping a PW close to the whole but for a high handicapper it will save you probably 3-4 strokes a round.
    3) leave your driver in your bag, don't take it out EVER and simply learn to hit a solid 3 wood off the tee. Again not sexy but probably saves you 2 strokes or more a round.
    4) use your 7 iron all around the green whenever you can, and get very accurate on your front to rear distance save 1-2 strokes a round here.
    5) ALWAYS aim higher on the whole than you think you should when putting on a break 1-2 strokes per round saved here.

So without buying a new set of clubs. ALSO think about what using the above strategy means as far as "course management" in that it is ALWAYS better for the high hindicap player to play to the open side of the green even if it's father away for a bumb and run than comeing p and over the traps surrounding the green. The fact of the matte is that if you are accurate with a 7 iron and you can hit it straight 150 yards you are able to hit most of the 4 par greens on a course in regulation. here is a link to avery for example- The Link Seriously though start playing the way I said above and i guarantee you shave off 3-4 strokes the next round you play.

I play with some old cavity backs circa the late 80's. I do have a nice wedge, older ping putter and some a new driver that i mostly leave in my bag if I want to have a better score. I did win a Callaway 9.5 degree 460X when I played in a best ball tournament two weeks ago. That's just good luck, and i also won two dinners for Two at Avery as well that tourney. [​IMG]

24. taco

taco 250+ Posts

I took 4 lessons about 6 or 7 years ago and that dropped me from a mid 90's to a mid 60's in about 6 weeks.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Where is this teacher, I need these lessons

25. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

26. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

27. LobWedgePhil

LobWedgePhil 100+ Posts

"I took 4 lessons about 6 or 7 years ago and that dropped me from a mid 90's to a mid 60's in about 6 weeks."

Cough"bullsh-t"cough

28. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

I'm assuming the 4 lessons guy is making fun of me. Otherwise he is full of ****.

29. austintexas

austintexas Guest

wow.

You were a 90 handicap, now you're a 60 handicap? I don't want the instructor's number.

For someone who has never played golf before, you give good advice. I play probably 10 times a year, I just suck. But I get more distance when hitting the newer irons, I have that kinda cash, so I'm getting new irons.

I'm good off the tee with the driver. My problems lie in the 170 yd-230 yd range.

Oh, and when you suck like I do, you become money with the punched 4 iron.

30. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

I guess Tyler feels like a real cool tough guy coming to a thread and derailing it by telling everyone how awesome he is.... [​IMG]

Good call with the Pings...

I have some Taylor Made LCG Burners that I have had for like 9 years, love them, but looking to get something new also.