OTHER GAMES

I'm torn. Just read the story about Oregon's 12 men on the field penalty at the end of their game with OSU. Oregon coach Dan Lanning says it was intentional, making it more difficult (obviously) for OSU to have a successful play while burning precious seconds off the clock. Part of me pats him on the back for being prepared for something like that; another part of me thinks it's borderline cheating and therefore lacking integrity. It's no skin off my nose, of course, just saying.

I understand your point. Yes it might be legal but is it the right thing to do. Could he have had someone deliberately jump offsides?
Would that have been any different?
Or was this just clever use of rules to try to win?

Teams are also allowed to intentionally have a delay of a game to set up the punter better to pin the other team. What's the difference?
I see your point HIC, but it does seem to be different, at least to me. It seems like more of a strategic move to gain a field position advantage. All that said, it's still somewhat of a dilemma.

I'm torn. Just read the story about Oregon's 12 men on the field penalty at the end of their game with OSU. Oregon coach Dan Lanning says it was intentional, making it more difficult (obviously) for OSU to have a successful play while burning precious seconds off the clock. Part of me pats him on the back for being prepared for something like that; another part of me thinks it's borderline cheating and therefore lacking integrity. It's no skin off my nose, of course, just saying.
I thought the same thing, watching it. Was it intentional? What if they put 17 people out there and the other team has to burn the rest of the remaining time to get the 5 yards, with one untimed play left, but no way to throw a pass, call time out, and kick a winning field goal?

If this really is possible, it would be practically impossible to drive from your own 20 into field goal range in 15 seconds, even with 3 time outs—ala KC vs Buffalo—because you could only run 3 plays against a 20 man defense, take 15 yards in penalties and the game would be over.

Teams are also allowed to intentionally have a delay of a game to set up the punter better to pin the other team. What's the difference?
So, on delay of game, supposing that the clock is running, you can only run the clock as long as you already are entitled to, and then the clock stops. You can’t take the penalty and then run the clock again.
The problem for me is when time is burned because the clock ran for a play that didn’t even count, when the team wanting to burn time caused a play that had no “fair” chance. Generally, 12 men on the field isn’t a huge advantage, because usually it’s because the defense is confused in the first place, but make it 16 defenders in a practiced zone with an all out blitz at the same time, and the offense is not getting a fair chance to use its last 10 seconds.

The 5 yards is not enough penalty when time is that short; maybe just resetting the clock should be the rule.

Last edited:
So, on delay of game, supposing that the clock is running, you can only run the clock as long as you already are entitled to, and then the clock stops. You can’t take the penalty and then run the clock again.
The problem for me is when time is burned because the clock ran for a play that didn’t even count, when the team wanting to burn time caused a play that had no “fair” chance. Generally, 12 men on the field isn’t a huge advantage, because usually it’s because the defense is confused in the first place, but make it 16 defenders in a practiced zone with an all out blitz at the same time, and the offense is not getting a fair chance to use its last 10 seconds.

The 5 yards is not enough penalty when time is that short; maybe just resetting the clock should be the rule.
I was only commenting on intentionally having a penalty and how it is allowed.

I was only commenting on intentionally having a penalty and how it is allowed.
Right; no quarrel with what you said; just quoted you to continue the topic.

On the deliberate delay of game to move 5 yards back, I have always wondered why (if the offense believes it benefits them), the defense doesn’t just refuse the penalty so they can’t move to the more comfortable spot.

I don't like Dan Lanning.
He reminds me of Tom Herman.

When I played (HS) I was a vastly undersized OL. In order to compensate I played into the margins of the rule book. I expected to get flagged for holding 5-10 times per game, but never did. However, when we (UT) played LSU @ DKR it really pissed me off when they faked injuries to slow us down.
I don't like when others play into the margins of the rulebook, but when we/I do it, it's just playing smart.
NEVER said I'm not hypocritical...occasionally.

I think he did it because he didn't trust his defense to hold OSU from getting into a decent field goal range.

They were moving the ball pretty efficiently there at the end until the phantom Offensive PI call.

I understand your point. Yes it might be legal but is it the right thing to do. Could he have had someone deliberately jump offsides?
Would that have been any different?
Or was this just clever use of rules to try to win?

If you jump offsides the clock doesn't start. The clear intention of this bit of strategy was, first and foremost, to make it more difficult for OSU to complete a pass, and second, to burn seconds off the clock. Missing accomplished. I don't care. Oregon wins, fine with me; OSU wins, fine with me. I just brought this up for discussion, wondering if anyone agreed with me.

So, I agree he pushed off but it was before the ball was in the air which is allowed. This view doesn't show when the pass was thrown but the push off doesn't seem that bad.

I'm pretty sure the rule in NCAA is that contact initiated by the receiver beyond 1 yard of the line of scrimmage is OPI regardless of whether the ball has been thrown or not.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Back