No Arch??

These next two games take on added importance for getting Manning more experience and even more comfortable (timing) with the receivers and for the offense to get more work on plays that may be used with Manning but not with Ewers because of Manning's better running ability. Ewers can slide in the pocket and pick his spots for the 7-10 yard scramble, but he is not going to keep the ball on the zone read. There is no guarantee that Ewers doesn't get injured again or reinjure his abdominal strain.

Why does SArk keep recruiting 5-Star QBs every year? So he will be ok when they walk away (or get hurt) after a Championship season. (Something Mack wasn't prepared for when Colt went down against a very beatable Bama Team.)
Mack was all about statistics, not about getting ready for a disaster. Buildup the starters stats, the lardass RB on the goal line, etc. When it hit the fan, we had an unprepared kid with great talent, but he didn't know his WRs frequently made the wrong read and ran the wrong route - HELLO INT!

Compare that with Saturday night when Arch comes in, drops to his THIRD read and throws for a TD on his first pass.

Why does SArk keep recruiting 5-Star QBs every year? So he will be ok when they walk away (or get hurt) after a Championship season. (Something Mack wasn't prepared for when Colt went down against a very beatable Bama Team.)

I'm actually not totally sold on the two behind Arch. Just saying that QE and Arch are a special pair.

In two years Arch will be a rookie in the NFL.
Make that three years. 2027. I believe that only changes if he wins the Heisman in 25, or we win “another” natty in 25 (next year) or both. Otherwise I think he stays and plays in 2026.

Unlike most kids, Arch has no reason to rush to the league. My bet is that his parents, grandparents and uncles are advising him to take his time and enjoy the experience.

Remember Cooper, Arch's father, has been a big supporter of Arch enjoying Texas. He was the one who flew Texas flags at hotel next to stadium in Ann Arbor.
There is also another Manning who just enrolled at Texas.
I bet Coop has a " I am a LongHorn Dad" bumper sticker.

Sidebar - When I was a kid, we got our sports news from The Beaumont Suprise, Port Arthur Spews, and KFDM Channel 6. I will never forget later seeing something called QB Rating. Everyone knew the best QBs were Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach (half that was Bob Hayes speed). Top rated QB in the NFL for a couple of years in a row was Archie playing for the hapless Saints. I didn't understand or appreciate how the QB of one of the worst (may have been the worst) teams in the NFL had a higher QB rating than the "winners".

Sidebar - When I was a kid, ...Everyone knew the best QBs were Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach
Johnny U was my childhood idol until the Dallas Cowboys came along with the great, legendary Eddie LeBaron at QB. He set the League standard for sub-5'8" QBs. That standand holds to this day.

Last edited:
One way to do that is by playing 2nd string and replace the starters who are not maintaining the standard.
Yep...the lower slots on the chart might not have all those pretty stars and NIL deals but they have something better- the desire to prove they are ALSO dudes! They want to showcase those skills...

1SA,

Eddie and his firm were our lawyers on a project we did in Atlanta in the 80s. Not sure he was 5'8". He seemed closer to 5'6". Great guy though.

1SA,

Eddie and his firm were our lawyers on a project we did in Atlanta in the 80s. Not sure he was 5'8". He seemed closer to 5'6". Great guy though.
Google lists him as 5'7"...thus my reference to "sub-5'8".
Hope he was a better lawyer than QB. Good QB or not, at 8 yrs old I thought he was a future HOF'er.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back