No Arch??

LHABSOB

1,000+ Posts
What is the buzz or seniment on this board on why we left QE in for the entire game? I thought clearly after the cheap shot when he was down that we would pull him out and not risk injury.

Candidly on at least the last 2 drives, the game was already out of reach and there was no need to take a chance on Quinn turning an ankle or something.

There was rumbling in the Texas sections about why we didn't get Arch in and I had a Michigan fan at the tailgate tell me he stuck around just to see Arch and was pissed we didn't get him in. LOL

Something happen this week with Arch that Sark was making a statement about?

Last edited:
What is the buzz or seniment on this board on why we left QE in for the entire game? I thought clearly after the cheap shot when he was down that we would pull him out and not risk injury.

Candidly on at least the last 2 drives, the game was already out of reach and there was no need to take a chance on Quinn turning and ankle or something.

There was rumbling in the Texas sections about why we didn't Arch in and I had a Michigan fan at the tailgate tell me he stuck around just to see Arch and was pissed we didn't get him in. LOL

Something happen this week with Arch that Sark was making a statement about?

I'm fine with Sark's decision.

My two cents, for which I will gladly charge you $10, is that Michigan from the start was chippy and playing dirty. Arch offered them a chance to "get even", while Quinn had already gained their respect. I think a message was sent across the field to "cut the crap" or we will unleash the bowels of hell on you. Full respect was earned and delivered. They got their cheap shot on Quinn and were notified. I don't think Sark wanted to risk the future of the program. We will see plenty of Arch the next four weeks.

The game plan was for Ewers to complete the game. For next game, the game plan is likely for Arch to play half the game.

The game plan was for Ewers to complete the game. For next game, the game plan is likely for Arch to play half the game.

I seriously doubt that. If you know Sark by now , you know he was PO'd that we only scored 7 in the 2nd half . He left Ewers in because he wanted more.
He is going to put Arch in when he feels confortable and no one else.
Arch will come in next week at about the same juncture as he did against Colo St. That is if were up by 21+.

I doubt we see Arch much if at all after the next 2 weeks unless we are up by 30 in the 4th.

I think multiple reasons are good for this...
1 he doesn't deserve playing time. no reason for anyone to start expecting/demanding.
2 I also thought they played a little dirty. No reason to risk it. Those are elite athletes on M's defense.
3 Maybe it was more important for all of the other offensive players to play in rhythm with QE. Get more receivers and RBs plays with QE.
4 He didn't want to count his chickens in a game against a "Top 10" school.

I would prefer to keep the Ferrari in the garage until next season. We know what we have. We don't need to show everyone else what we have. Give Trey Owens some reps in mop-up time.

I've read some statements from Sark that he was not happy with the way the team played in the second half and especially the fourth quarter. They were still attacking, but not executing and he wants them to finish games at the same level they started. He specifically said that it felt like they only played three quarters. I think that is why he left Ewers in, to instill a killer instinct and never let a team up and also a subtle message that he was not overly pleased with the way they were playing in the latter part of the game. In other words play to Texas standard regardless of the score. He also knows that the opportunity should be there for Arch to get significant playing time over the next two if not three weeks (assuming Texas plays its game).

I've read some statements from Sark that he was not happy with the way the team played in the second half and especially the fourth quarter. They were still attacking, but not executing and he wants them to finish games at the same level they started. He specifically said that it felt like they only played three quarters. I think that is why he left Ewers in, to instill a killer instinct and never let a team up and also a subtle message that he was not overly pleased with the way they were playing in the latter part of the game. In other words play to Texas standard regardless of the score. He also knows that the opportunity should be there for Arch to get significant playing time over the next two if not three weeks (assuming Texas plays its game).
Maybe so, and the main thing the whole Manning family keep emphasizing is patience. He has a whole career ahead of him, no reason to be in on this one game.

One way to do that is by playing 2nd string and replace the starters who are not maintaining the standard.

All of the right answers have already been given, but I'll add to them anyway. Ewers doesn't have that many reps with all the new skill position players, and playing against Michigan's high-recruit defense, even up by three scores, is far better practice for future important games coming up than working against our own defense in practice or against UTSA, etc. How many balls has Ewers thrown in actual games to Bond, Golden, Wingo, etc.?

Arch, on the other hand, needs experience against anyone whatsoever, so UTSA or whoever is perfect for that. Once it got to the point of just handing off the ball to kill the clock, Manning could have done that, just to get the experience of being in that stadium, taking the signals from the sideline, calling the counts, or whatever, but it's not like he would have actually been going through multiple reads of coverage--actual strategic experience.

And as for Sark supposedly being upset we didn't keep scoring in the 4th quarter (and I heard his interview), this is just posturing, trying to have something to motivate the players with a (hard to find) negative of the game in Michigan.

Sark has shown over and over that if he is up by three scores in the 3rd quarter, he plays only to run the clock and take the certain win, even if it means giving up 10 or 14 more points while the other team runs their own clock out with long slow scores. Every time he does it, our fans complain that we are weak in the 4th quarter of these games we win, but it is obvious that his strategy changes both offensively and defensively to take the win.

I do think that on UM's last drive, our coaches and players wanted to preserve the no-TD record, and tried as hard as they could, but those were mostly back-ups anyway, right?, and by all logic we needed to have our backup defense in there for experience, team morale, injury protection, etc.

So, I think Sark is not genuinely upset at the team for the 4th quarter, but is just making up anything he can to construct a coachable motivation for the future.

Maybe so, and the main thing the whole Manning family keep emphasizing is patience. He has a whole career ahead of him, no reason to be in on this one game.
The fanbase needs to remember that Ewers has developed to where he is now and is better than Arch. And in two years that Arch will br better than today’s Arch. Some fans struggle with the parience you mention, but Sark will mange that and then Arch will be great,, Someday. The quarterback room has legs for a lot of years and expectations must be realistic.
What a gift!

Last edited:
Best example is that sack. Now I cannot guarantee Quinn would have read that blitz but I can guarantee Sark asked Arch why he didn’t see that in the coverage and at the snap. He came in a dead run - unabated. Haven’t watched the replay yet so solely off memory here and maybe I’ll back off after I do but that looked like a mistake I don’t think this far into his career Quinn would have made.
Now that completely errant pass? Well I saw him on the sidelines trying to show Sark what happened, motioning with his hands what he thought was going to be the route but it was a major screw up for sure.

Best example is that sack. Now I cannot guarantee Quinn would have read that blitz but I can guarantee Sark asked Arch why he didn’t see that in the coverage and at the snap. He came in a dead run - unabated. Haven’t watched the replay yet so solely off memory here and maybe I’ll back off after I do but that looked like a mistake I don’t think this far into his career Quinn would have made.
Now that completely errant pass? Well I saw him on the sidelines trying to show Sark what happened, motioning with his hands what he thought was going to be the route but it was a major screw up for sure.
Sark addressed this in his post game presser. Basically Arch recognized the blitz but didn't have time to change based on play clock expiring. Something to that effect.

Not sure I agree with that. No doubt he could make the jump then, but I think we might just get a second year of him starting at Texas.
Why does SArk keep recruiting 5-Star QBs every year? So he will be ok when they walk away (or get hurt) after a Championship season. (Something Mack wasn't prepared for when Colt went down against a very beatable Bama Team.)

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back