NFL.com Analysis of Ewers

If we're only using current starting QBs in the NFL as a metric, and really only their style of play and nothing off-field, I think the following would be closest:

1. B. Purdy
2. D. Carr
3. B. Mayfield
4. B. Young

I'd love to see him get more into the ranks of Stroud or Goff, but that would take a few years in the league before that would be appropriate.

If his quick flick throws become more accurate, he could become reminiscent of Joe Burrow.
If ifs and buts were candies and nuts.

If Ewers puts up a 200 pass efficiency rating this year, I'll believe. Or approaches 5000 yards. Or 50 TD. Even then, he still wouldn't have the numbers of Joe's Heisman year.

We haven't really had an NFL prototype passer in so long (if ever... only Layne, Young, and McCoy ever made a dent in the league), it gets a little too easy to hope that our guy is on par with them. Based on what we've all seen, I don't see Ewers as that kind of guy yet. Manning maybe, but that's far off.

Based on what we've all seen, I don't see Ewers as that kind of guy yet. Manning maybe, but that's far off.
Yeah, what I posited was a big "if".

However, prior to Joe's Senior season, nobody had seen it out of him either. A very, very bright light suddenly turned on for him, as if he could suddenly utilize and command all the raw physical talent he had.

Quinn has the raw talent. He can make all the throws. That is not to say he does make all the throws at a high enough rate, but if the same kind of awakening happens for him as happened for Burrow, well, then I suggest we will see a very special season that will carry over to an NFL career.

Do they have a dickface or assface ranking yet? I have a vote I want to give. I've been waiting on that ranking for 8 years

Not sure if we can link TikToks here, but if you have an account:
Scouting Report

Sure, it's just some dude who makes his own draft lists and rankings and whatever, but I think his concerns are valid. Someone is going to take QE in the 1st round when as of this moment, he's really a Day Two (rounds 2-3) kind of talent.

The footwork in those clips doesn't lie. And some of those were in his "best" games like Alabama.

Ewers gives me a Jeff George vibe. Arm talent is off the charts but the processor is hit-or-miss. I expect him to be a 1st rounder... top 5 with a good 2024 campaign. Once in the league, the processor becomes much more of a factor in success so that will have to improve.

Regardless of his flaws, the league is starved for QB talent and there are always coaches who are convinced they can fix any deficiency with their coaching.

Any comparison of Quinn Ewers and Jeff George and/or his parents is certainly grounds for suspension, if not serious physical retribution.

I assume you have never met Jeff George or either of his parents. If you have, please put me on ignore.

How bad?

When Rhett Bomar committed to OU, I called Bobby Jack and told both him and Bob Stoops, "congratulations, you just took the second coming of Jeff George, although Bomar's mother may not be that bad". I told Bobby Jack to watch him close because he would get them in trouble.

His best comp for the NFL is Landry Jones. Landry was a very good college QB who could make all the throws and was very good but not dominant and not what I'd call a gamer. He had his chances in Pittsburgh but never could produce when given the opportunity. I'd call Colt, Applewhite, Mayfield, Jason White, etc. gamers. They made things happen when they needed to. I will be surprised if QE starts for more than a season in the NFL and he might be the second best QB on his college roster.

His best comp for the NFL is Landry Jones. Landry was a very good college QB who could make all the throws and was very good but not dominant and not what I'd call a gamer. He had his chances in Pittsburgh but never could produce when given the opportunity. I'd call Colt, Applewhite, Mayfield, Jason White, etc. gamers. They made things happen when they needed to. I will be surprised if QE starts for more than a season in the NFL and he might be the second best QB on his college roster.
You'll obviously get some hate for this, but I tend to agree. I haven't seen a "complete" game from QE beyond the 2022 OU or 2023 Bama ones that made me think he could compete for a starting job in the NFL.

His big deep throws against Alabama are so ingrained in our minds that we forgive pretty much any other issues he exhibited against lesser opponents.

You'll obviously get some hate for this, but I tend to agree. I haven't seen a "complete" game from QE beyond the 2022 OU or 2023 Bama ones that made me think he could compete for a starting job in the NFL.

His big deep throws against Alabama are so ingrained in our minds that we forgive pretty much any other issues he exhibited against lesser opponents.
The deep throws over the middle have always been his big issue. Also, at times (and unfortunately generally must complete times) he locks onto his receiver and forces the throw.

Either has been overshadowed by a couple of receivers with great adjustment skills. However, let's see what 2024 brings.

He could progress and prove me wrong as well. He seems like a decent enough guy so that wouldn't hurt me.

True, he's improved each year. I expect that trend to continue.
Let's be honest, other than a few VERY bright spots in 2021, Caleb Williams was just a good QB at OU. His last three games of that regular season he was 37-75 with 4tds and 3 ints. He had some very average games after OU-Tx. He continued to improve each year.

Let's be honest, other than a few VERY bright spots in 2021, Caleb Williams was just a good QB at OU. His last three games of that regular season he was 37-75 with 4tds and 3 ints. He had some very average games after OU-Tx. He continued to improve each year.
I'm fine with predicting that QE will improve from 2023 to 2024. Statistically, leadership-wise, not getting injured, etc.

But anyone who thinks he's going to be mentioned among the Top-10 NFL QBs as comparison points, even hyperbolically or figuratively, needs to go watch his footwork.

With the reappearance of @Gladius&Pilum , this question takes on greater urgency.
W55DWdb.jpg

I’ve been watching Texas football since the late 50s. Like most of us, I can count on one hand the quarterbacks that I would call elite. If we focus solely on their passing skills, it’s an even smaller subset.

I just love the genius experts who claim to be able to read the future. Even the teams — who spend an absolute fortune scouting players like Caleb Williams, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Tim Couch and so on — have an abysmal track record when it comes to drafting quarterbacks.

Many have been unreasonably criticizing or unfairly judging Ewers since took over at Texas. Has he ever had a terrible game, like almost every other former QB at Texas? (To me, terrible means a turnover machine that can’t get anything done.) Sure, he had some rough games in his first year, and perhaps some rough patches last year, but no meltdowns.

His growth from year one to year two was substantial, and I expect considerable growth in 2024. If that happens, teams will be beating a path to his door next April.

Comparing him to Mayfield will likely prove to be laughable as Ewers’ passing prowess already exceeds that of the self-absorbed former Sooner QB.

Duke,

In fairness to Mayfield, no Texas QB ever had to deal with what Mayfield faced at Tech, but then no Texas QB would ever have been stupid enough to react the way he did.

Now, back to his football prowess.

I’ve been watching Texas football since the late 50s. Like most of us, I can count on one hand the quarterbacks that I would call elite. If we focus solely on their passing skills, it’s an even smaller subset.

I just love the genius experts who claim to be able to read the future. Even the teams — who spend an absolute fortune scouting players like Caleb Williams, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Tim Couch and so on — have an abysmal track record when it comes to drafting quarterbacks.

Many have been unreasonably criticizing or unfairly judging Ewers since took over at Texas. Has he ever had a terrible game, like almost every other former QB at Texas? (To me, terrible means a turnover machine that can’t get anything done.) Sure, he had some rough games in his first year, and perhaps some rough patches last year, but no meltdowns.

His growth from year one to year two was substantial, and I expect considerable growth in 2024. If that happens, teams will be beating a path to his door next April.

Comparing him to Mayfield will likely prove to be laughable as Ewers’ passing prowess already exceeds that of the self-absorbed former Sooner QB.
Wait... his passing prowess exceeds Slowflake? Are you comparing QE's college success to that of Mayfield for like... an injured year on the Browns or something?

Baker had 1 fewer TD his sophomore year than QE has thrown in his entire college career to this point. He's #10 in all-time college football yardage. He put up back-to-back 190+ passer ratings. No one disagrees that our least favorite Lake Travis grad is an *******. But come on.

While I agree that prognosticators get it wrong a lot, I'm seeing some of the same issues with QE (in terms of fan appreciation and predictions of future success) that Sam got. Anyone watching Ehlinger knew that he was a good leader and good QB, but anyone working with an NFL team's scouting department knew that his on-field skills wouldn't translate.

I think if Ewers had a bigger personality, he nearly puts me asleep when interviewed, which would show a little more self confidence, he'd be ranked higher in everyone's minds. Sometimes you have to be your own biggest cheerleader.

......random thought, please continue

There are many excellent quarterbacks, even Hiesman winners, who don't make the cut as a top 15 QB in the NFL. Just QB's that I've witnessed in recent times (Maplewhite, Sims, Colt, Heupel, Jason White, Landry Jones, Mac Jones, etc.) might do wonders in college and then fall short in the NFL. Part of it is finding the right fit but the game is just faster and more physical. I don't think guys like Jalen Hurts and mini mouse Murray can make a career out of using their legs. You've got to be a threat down the field in the NFL to be able to run the ball consistently. Lamar is testing it a little but when one of these guys is having a great year they almost always run up against a defense that can stop them.

Ewers may well continue to improve IN COLLEGE. This guy was talking about at the next level.

A QB could do worse than be compared to Baker.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Back