Michael Brown, Lisa Shepherd, Mike Campbell, Kirk Bohls, Pat Weis, and Houston High School honors

Always enjoy reading these, however I couldn’t disagree more with the accolades being given to Kirk Bohls. He abused his access to UT athletic programs to mostly trash them for years. If there was criticism to pile on, Kirk was first in line and when there were things to celebrate, he was the master of the backhanded compliment. Good riddance to that hack.

Always enjoy reading these, however I couldn’t disagree more with the accolades being given to Kirk Bohls. He abused his access to UT athletic programs to mostly trash them for years. If there was criticism to pile on, Kirk was first in line and when there were things to celebrate, he was the master of the backhanded compliment. Good riddance to that hack.
Kirk knows that many people dislike him, and he is okay with that. He is a survivor in a dying newspaper industry, greatly respected by his peers, and leads the nation in journalism awards. He is also liked by many, which led to a big raise. He is now writing for the Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express about Longhorn Athletics. A much bigger audience than Austin. Thanks for reading the history of Longhorn sports. Respectfully, Billy Dale

Kirk knows that many people dislike him, and he is okay with that. He is a survivor in a dying newspaper industry, greatly respected by his peers, and leads the nation in journalism awards. He is also liked by many, which led to a big raise. He is now writing for the Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express about Longhorn Athletics. A much bigger audience than Austin. Thanks for reading the history of Longhorn sports. Respectfully, Billy Dale
Well, I have heard that about Kirk as well, and perhaps it is a most fitting description of him - i.e., someone who enjoyed a great reputation among his peers in places like Lubbock, Waco and College Station/Houston and couldn't have cared less about what the average reader in his home market thought of him. I believe that at least some of the broad negative narrative about Texas is partly due to the reporting Bohls and others have done at the AAS - I mean, if journalists have open disdain for their hometown program, shouldn't everyone else?

In stark contrast, I always look forward to the next installment of your newsletter. As someone who first became a fan by virtue of serving as a gameday usher as a Scout in the DKR era, I always find something in your notes to bring back great memories and appreciate the insights that you add as well.

Well said, WJ. Bohls and John Maher were cut from the same cloth. They looked for anything negative against Texas to amplify, much to the delight of some of their peers nationwide (whose opinions shouldn't have mattered one tiny bit), and at the expense of much of their local readership who actually had connections to the teams in question.

For one glaring, and never to be forgiven example, why did Bohls find it necessary to vote for Reggie Bush over Vince when absolutely legitimate cases could be made either way? Because Bohls cared so much about national sportswriters not seeing him as a homer that he couldn't even do that much to support the local players/team. Thus, local fans who hold negative opinions of him didn't come by them for frivolous reasons.

Good riddance to bad garbage.

Bohls is among a large cast of writers who think the best way to sell their rag is to play to the rage they create among readership by attacking the reader’s passion for the subject. In the case of football fans, if they take the bait, once hooked they continue to be hooked and come back for more just to see what is being printed.
I once fell for it with the boys at the DMN when they fell in love with their Sooners and spewed nothing but hate for the Horns. I found the best way to combat them was to stop buying the paper. It wasn’t worth a shi- anyway.
Kirk has a bigger platform for his Longhorn hate and the Aggie base in Houston will scream for more. I watched the Sark press conference with Kirk asking a question and got the feeling Sark is on to him.

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-UTSA *
Sat, Sep 14 • 6:00 PM on ESPN

Recent Threads

Back