Iowa State vs TEXAS (10-15-22) – Pre-Game

Iowa State University Mascot 2022 Update - Mascot Passion

"Iowa State University mascot for the sports teams is CY, the Cardinal. Although, the University’s moniker has long been cyclone but it was difficult to depict cyclone in costume.

Perhaps that was true in the early to mid-20th Century, given the state of costume technology at the time ... but the folks at Lamesa High School have had several Golden Tornado costumes over the decades ... anyway, thank you for steering me to the explanation.
299a4f1da7_Ar00107001.jpg

Perhaps that was true in the early to mid-20th Century, given the state of costume technology at the time ... but the folks at Lamesa High School have had several Golden Tornado costumes over the decades ... anyway, thank you for steering me to the explanation.
STILL looks like an angry turd.

And yes, I spent time living and working in that area...much more of a fan of the six-man that was played in the surrounding schools...

4th downs vs TEXAS this season
  1. ou – 2-4
  2. WV – 3-5
  3. TT – 6-8
  4. UTS – 0-2
  5. AL – 1-2
  6. ULM – 0-1
6 games / 12-22

Midseason grades for each position group

PaperGrade.jpg

As we reach the halfway point of the season, here are the grades of how each position group has faired so far in 2022.

Quarterback: B+
Ewers has looked the part of a future first-round draft pick at times and Card deserves tons of credit for keeping Texas competitive in his absence.

Running back: A
Bijan Robinson is off to a great junior campaign. Roschon Johnson and Keilan Robinson provide a great change of pace on the bench.

Wide receiver: B-
It took three games for a Texas wideout to finally catch a touchdown, but the group is quickly putting it together at the right time.

Tight end: A-
Ja’Tavion Sanders has emerged as a star for the Texas offense. He is a matchup nightmare for opposing secondaries and provided great blocking in the run game.

Offensive line: B-
The young offensive line has been stable for the Longhorns this season. The unit has room for improvement in the run-blocking aspect.

Defensive line: B
The Longhorns are top 10 in the country in pressuring the opposing quarterback while stopping the run at a high rate. The sack numbers are not quite there to give this group a higher grade.

Linebackers: B+
Jaylan Ford leads the Big 12 in tackles and DeMarvion Overshown is making plays all over the field.

Defensive backs: B
The unit is playing both physical and disciplined football on the back end. The tackling improvement the defensive backs have made is noticeable.

Special teams: B-
Brett Auburn has already made a few clutch kicks early on. We still are waiting for Worthy or Robinson to make a big play in the return game.

[More at LonghornsWire]

Last edited:
If the Horns are as good a team as some would believe, then Cyclones are gonna get blown out. Being consistent is the opponent this week.

Five-star true freshman Kelvin Banks won Texas’ left tackle spot in fall camp and is locking down the left side of the offensive line.

Banks could very well be on his way to a Freshman All-American season. He holds the best pass-blocking grade of any true freshman in the country according to Pro Football Focus.

Banks has not let any moment get too big for him. He held the dynamic Alabama pass rush of Will Anderson and Dallas Turner to zero sacks in his second career collegiate start. Banks played his best game of the season in Week 6 in the Red River Showdown.

He set the tone with his physicality and toughness early on against the Oklahoma Sooners.

(Notice the Mr. Eeus black shirt man in the mix???)

[More at LonghornsWire]

Lameeeesa...what a $#!+-hole.

The Longhorns are top 10 in the country in pressuring the opposing quarterback while stopping the run at a high rate. The sack numbers are not quite there to give this group a higher grade.

Jaylan Ford leads the Big 12 in tackles and DeMarvion Overshown is making plays all over the field.

The unit is playing both physical and disciplined football on the back end. The tackling improvement the defensive backs have made is noticeable.
Yeah, well, fire Kwiatkowski anyway. He put out a bad unit last year, and I have been informed by another poster here that is unforgiveable.

Soft serve lemon custard ice cream.

Midseason grades for each position group

PaperGrade.jpg

As we reach the halfway point of the season, here are the grades of how each position group has faired so far in 2022.

Quarterback: B+
Ewers has looked the part of a future first-round draft pick at times and Card deserves tons of credit for keeping Texas competitive in his absence.

Running back: A
Bijan Robinson is off to a great junior campaign. Roschon Johnson and Keilan Robinson provide a great change of pace on the bench.

Wide receiver: B-
It took three games for a Texas wideout to finally catch a touchdown, but the group is quickly putting it together at the right time.

Tight end: A-
Ja’Tavion Sanders has emerged as a star for the Texas offense. He is a matchup nightmare for opposing secondaries and provided great blocking in the run game.

Offensive line: B-
The young offensive line has been stable for the Longhorns this season. The unit has room for improvement in the run-blocking aspect.

Special teams: B-
Brett Auburn has already made a few clutch kicks early on. We still are waiting for Worthy or Robinson to make a big play in the return game.

[More at LonghornsWire]
I’d bump up OL to a B, DL to a B+, and DBs to an A-

ISU is playing solid D, but they’re not putting many points on the board. I think our D will hold them below 20 points, and our O skill position players will make the big plays to get us enough TDs to prevail. We have too many weapons on O for them to handle. They’re well coached, so no cakewalk.

Baylor used their TE effectively against ISU.

ISU really likes to blitz (multiple LBs/DBs) in the red zone. They could be susceptible to screens, RBs catching passes in the flats (part of our bread and butter), and passes to the TEs.

No. 22 Texas gets set for Iowa State

resize

{Iowa State Defensive Line}

The Cyclones (3-3, 0-3) are still looking for their first conference win. A defense led by All-American lineman Will McDonald IV is allowing only 13.7 points per game, which leads the Big 12 and is eighth-best nationally. The Cyclones also lead the conference in total defense (277.5 yards per game).

"I think it's going to be fun playing Iowa State," said UT running back Roschon Johnson, whose team is averaging 38.8 points and 445.3 yards per game. "They're going to be technically sound, and they're going to play hard. It really just revolves around us sticking to our game plan and making sure we execute."

Last year Iowa State limited Texas to 207 yards in a 30-7 win in Ames. Those yardage and point totals ended up being season lows for the Longhorns.

"Hopefully we perform better than we did a year ago, and we need to; these guys are a very good defensive football team," Sarkisian said.

[More at Hook'EM]

The Amarillo High Golden Sandstorm have had many renditions of the angry turd over the years!!

The Amarillo High Golden Sandstorm have had many renditions of the angry turd over the years!!
And they are often locally referred to as the "Sandies," which is not the most intimidating mascot name by any stretch. Always makes me think of:

I’d bump up OL to a B, DL to a B+, and DBs to an A-

Yep gotta say no way is the LB group the top rated defensive group. They’re not really even close. I have to feel as though the Dline gets in the A range. Then the DBs are next up. Thompson is making some plays. Barron tears up WR screen type action, Jamison hasn’t allowed much. Cook is around the ball. Lack of turnovers lower grades, but that may come if the pressure keeps coming.

We’re in good position to finish strong. Our offense will put some teams behind the 8 ball and force them out of their game plan.

So I guess this is the year where Campbell goes from coaching genius to back of the class dullard.

:rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1:

And they are often locally referred to as the "Sandies," which is not the most intimidating mascot name by any stretch. Always makes me think of:

Are Sandies as pictured any good?

I remember eating them as a kid at my grandparents but don’t know if I ever liked them.

Last edited:
Someone said that a bunch of players have the "5 star recruits versus 5 star culture" quote hanging in their lockers this week.

I'm still concerned about their D and some of their offensive facets. They have 8 FF and that's the kind of thing that can cost you a game (Tech 2022, TCU 2020, etc.). Dekkers to Hutchinson hasn't really been denied by anyone yet, even though they tend to stall out on drives. Brock is decent but I'm not super-concerned about their run game.

We need this one heading into Stillwater. Big time.

Recent Threads

Back