INFLATION--now the top issue for young adults in the 2024 election

If there were only a way to increase the fixed income of retirees to keep pace with inflation...:brickwall:
I'd say you earned it, especially retiring from the military.

There's been a sea change in the culture though, and my view does not seem to be the prevailing sentiment anymore. Society is courser, colder, and cruder, and the Christian ethic is not so prevalent. That leads to more law-of-the-jungle / every-man-for himself sort of mentality.

For most who aren't old or approaching old yet, its more likely one of the following:

- quit your bitching, you're making more than we do
- quit your bitching, we'll NEVER get to retire
- quit your bitching, you could just go back to work
- quit your bitching, you chose your career and retirement
- quit your bitching, I'm paying for your social security

and what they're really thinking deep down:
- quit your bitching and hurry up and die

Chop, Sadly I think the last lines in your post are the most true. Respect for the elderly I find (except for my own grandkids) to be quite frankly, abhorrent. Could be just me but that’s how I see it - with exception being rare.

Responses in bold to Chop's post:

For most who aren't old or approaching old yet, its more likely one of the following:

- quit your bitching, you're making more than we do Yep! Been working a hell of a lot longer than them most likely and earned raises in pay via long hours of hard work.

- quit your bitching, we'll NEVER get to retire Not true! Everyone dies sooner or later. Unfortunately, sometimes the Grim Reaper comes to visit prior to retirement, or when you least expect his visit. Death is a form of retirement if a person is still working.

- quit your bitching, you could just go back to work That's why you choose your profession carefully so you don't work until you drop dead. Also, do you have upward mobility in the company?

- quit your bitching, you chose your career and retirement Do the work you love and enjoy, but it might not provide upward mobility to the "C Suite" where the big bucks are made.

- quit your bitching, I'm paying for your social security I paid for mine to and for a number of other folks SS too! I hope the lived or are living currently a good life.

- quit your bitching and hurry up and die First of all, define the term, "They". Second, everyone has a choice of when to die, either buy their own hand, or wait for natural aging to do the job.

How many times does Trump have to say he wants a strong dollar for the economic elite to stop the stupid weak dollar bit?

Vipe. They don't want the truth to get out. What saddens me is how many regular citizens And Voters only hear the lies.

- quit your bitching and hurry up and die
That's exactly what the Biden administration is hoping for. When I die, that gets me off the DoD retirement pay, off Social Security - and it's one fewer conservative vote.

The President of El Salvador seems like a smart man. Maybe he should pay attention to his own coubtry so his citizens could stay there instead of trying to get into our country.

That's exactly what the Biden administration is hoping for. When I die, that gets me off the DoD retirement pay, off Social Security - and it's one fewer conservative vote.

They blame our generation for all the problems. They have moved on to our kids/grand kids. My son is 27 and hates Trump and Abbott. I calmly discuss things with him, but it's no use. He thinks they are corrupt, old white guys. He's white, but we've lost him. That being said, he's a wonderful son and loves his old man!

My Air Force daughter is a Republican and goes to church every Sunday. She's 20 years old and doesn't really follow the news all that much. My son reads it all the time. He has all the links to support his positions. Even though she is in the AF, she is also all girl in some ways and confirms Cindy Lauper's song, "Girls Just Wanna' Have Fun."

The President of El Salvador seems like a smart man. Maybe he should pay attention to his own coubtry so his citizens could stay there instead of trying to get into our country.

He has greatly reduced the amount of crime in his country making the incentive to leave much less. Central American needs a couple more versions of him.

And yet people entering our county from El Salvador make up the largest per centage of the Central American countries and the increase from 2020 was over 200%

And yet people entering our county from El Salvador make up the largest per centage of the Central American countries and the increase from 2020 was over 200%

Really? That is surprising, unless it is MS13 gang members who evaded Bukkele and are now escaping to the US.

I need to look it up but IIRC until 2 weeks ago Biden was bringing them and others from Central America
That number and per centage would not include those who evaded border patrol
No telling how many that is

Really? That is surprising, unless it is MS13 gang members who evaded Bukkele and are now escaping to the US.
El Salvador is part of the "Northern Triangle", the countries of which do send the most immigrants from Central America. These countries are Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras. It should be noted though, that their numbers are rising, but still dwarfed by the number of Mexican migrants.

Headline inflation down to 2.9%. Insurance, services, and rents are the outliers once again but beginning to moderate.

The annual COLA, or cost-of-living adjustment, is likely to be 2.6%, less than the 2024 COLA of 3.2%, which bumped up the average monthly benefit by more than $50, and well below the 8.7% increase in benefits received two years ago

The annual COLA, or cost-of-living adjustment, is likely to be 2.6%, less than the 2024 COLA of 3.2%, which bumped up the average monthly benefit by more than $50, and well below the 8.7% increase in benefits received two years ago
That is 15% higher than 3 years ago

Retirees are being screwed.
Exactly, mchammer. I've expounded on this many times. The COLA (a) is not sufficient to keep up and (b) it comes after the fact. Meanwhile, my income remains fixed while prices continue to climb - and the Biden administration couldn't care less. :brickwall:

Last edited:
Demz doing backflips because inflation is "down" to 2.9%. That is year over year. Kind of misleading as food prices are up 20% and Energy prices are up over 50% over the past 3 1/2 years.

Under the heading ‘wtf’ just heard something about Biden/Harris hiding a Medicare rate increase! Insert cuss word here.

To be fair, probably many of these don't actually need to work. For example, my dad is 75 and still teaches the violin at least part time. He doesn't need the money. He just does it because he enjoys it, and it helps him stay sharp. He uses the extra money to travel and help maintain his '65 Mustang convertible (used to be his dad's). It's a cool car and fun to drive, but that thing is in the shop constantly.

Back