INFLATION--now the top issue for young adults in the 2024 election

Nat gas at $2.40 per mmbtu. Cheap. It’s one of the few things keeping the US out of recession.

Once again, I am referring inflation between now and next year, not the last 2-3 years.

Nat gas at $2.40 per mmbtu. Cheap. It’s one of the few things keeping the US out of recession.
Our cheap gas terrifies Europe. Their industry is moving here because our power is cheaper. They encourage Americans to eliminate fossil fuels for that reason. 40% of the modern, Dutch greenhouses can’t afford the heating bill…might move to Spain and Greece. Deutschland is burning coal like crazy as you read this. And China is building 145 coal-fired power plants every year…some outside of China.

Last edited:
I do know there is a difference but I am with HHD. When my expenses to basically live are rising daily.
6721, I share your pain. My largest monthly income check is from my company pension, and it doesn't have a COLA - same amount as it was when I retired at the end of 2010. So the purchasing power has eroded by at least 30%. Thank goodness my USAF pension and our SS checks have COLA - not enough to offset inflation totally, but a help. For folks who still have children at home, feeding them must take a HUGE chunk out of their paychecks.

I will not be satisfied until a family of four can go to the movies, with popcorn and cokes for all, for a total of $25 again.

I will not be satisfied until a family of four can go to the movies, with popcorn and cokes for all, for a total of $25 again.

Took my grand daughter to see Migration. Only $14 for matinee tix but added $21for two small icees and 1 small bag of gummy bears

That will take a gold or bitcoin standard. Or at least currency competition. US$ isn't going back that far. I would love to be wrong on that though.

More, and more significant, global shipping disruptions would have an upward effect on prices.

UK is 6-12 months behind the US in terms of the inflation curve.
jellied-eel1.jpg

:arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
I'm NOT paying 5 Pounds for THAT. (I'm not sure that I would even eat that if it were free...)

5 Piece Cartons Jellied Eels
£5.00

Bowls of Jellied Eels
£45.00

Half Bowls of Jellied Eels
£25.00

450grm Tubs Jellied Eels
£12.00

Examples of High Interest Rates Worldwide (January 2024)

Zimbabwe 130%
Argentina 100%
Venezuela 56.69%
Ghana 30%
Sudan 28.3%
Congo 25%
Malawi 24%
Pakistan 22%
Ukraine 15%
Liberia 20%

There's something going on with hot weather countries and crappy economics.

Examples of High Interest Rates Worldwide (January 2024)

Zimbabwe 130%
Argentina 100%
Venezuela 56.69%
Ghana 30%
Sudan 28.3%
Congo 25%
Malawi 24%
Pakistan 22%
Ukraine 15%
Liberia 20%

There's something going on with hot weather countries and crappy economics.

Central banks creating new money and governments spending borrowed money.

Ukraine probably at 15% because of all the US$ flooding their crippled markets.

Food items are NOT coming down. Two new items up I noticed at Costco. One was my 505 - hatch chilis. Blast it.
Don't worry. Biden is about to take on the grocery stores and force them to lower prices.

“But for all we’ve done to bring prices down, there are still too many corporations in America ripping people off: price gouging, junk fees, greedflation, shrinkflation,” he added. “You see that article about the Snickers bars?”

Well, it’s going to stop. Americans, we’re tired of being played for suckers,” Biden said to applause. “And that’s why we’re going to keep these guys — keep on them and get the prices down.”

According to a New York Times report, “Aides say those comments are a preview of more pressure to come against grocery chains and other companies that are maintaining higher-than-usual profit margins after a period of rapid price growth.”

Back