INFLATION--FED announces 0.50% interest rate cut

We downsized a bit when we moved - went from 2650 sq ft to 2400. My Reliant bill (on average billing at our previous 2-story home) was about $450/month. So far we're running about $300 for Reliant and $40 for Atmos. I suspect that the 220 volts for the pool pump will put a floor on the electric bill, even in the winter.

Definitely on the pool. My brother's house in dfw is about the same Sq ftg as yours, has a pool. His utility bills runs double than ours too.

It is worth it to get a variable speed pump. Really reduced my electric bill noticeably
We actually have a variable pump here at our new house. I'll have to ask my pool maintenance guy how it should be set for the cooler months - any help on the electric bill would be appreciated.

The US government is giving all your money to Israel and Ukraine. Does anyone care?

And the 2023 budget deficit should be a massive economic red flag. It is up massively over 2022 - by about $320B. I assumed we just spent a lot more money in '23 since we generally increase spending every year, but I looked into it, and we actually spent slightly less in '23 (hard to imagine but true).

So why the big deficit? Revenue dropped massively - even more than it did in '20 when we had lockdowns. Link. If you look at the breakdown, the root problem is a huge drop in individual income taxes paid - far bigger drop than we had from '19 to '20 and even bigger than we had from 2008 - 2009. Why the hell would income tax revenue be down massively? If unemployment was up far higher than it was last year, it would make sense, but (at least if you buy the numbers), it isn't. I'm no economist, but something smells about that, and it can't be good.

And the 2023 budget deficit should be a massive economic red flag. It is up massively over 2022 - by about $320B. I assumed we just spent a lot more money in '23 since we generally increase spending every year, but I looked into it, and we actually spent slightly less in '23 (hard to imagine but true).

So why the big deficit? Revenue dropped massively - even more than it did in '20 when we had lockdowns. Link. If you look at the breakdown, the root problem is a huge drop in individual income taxes paid - far bigger drop than we had from '19 to '20 and even bigger than we had from 2008 - 2009. Why the hell would income tax revenue be down massively? If unemployment was up far higher than it was last year, it would make sense, but (at least if you buy the numbers), it isn't. I'm no economist, but something smells about that, and it can't be good.
Market returns for both equities and bonds were negative in 2022 and not much better in 2023. Corporate earnings are way down too.

Market returns for both equities and bonds were negative in 2022 and not much better in 2023. Corporate earnings are way down too.
IMHO, Part of it was an overdue correction. P/E ratios look more “rational”/historical now, so who knows, 2024 could be a good year for equities if the economy holds up…?

Good luck Mona. I suspect the drop is very selective. I have been looking for wife for 8-9 months and I have seen no change yet.

Afraid so. Her 11 year old Rx 350 looks pretty beaten down on outside but still runs great with 120,000 miles on it. Since it’s her third Rx she has now set her sight on a Gx this time. She’d be fine with an 3-4 year old one but darn they are so high to look so dated.
We’re so old it will be the last car I buy her so there is that.

Afraid so. Her 11 year old Rx 350 looks pretty beaten down on outside but still runs great with 120,000 miles on it. Since it’s her third Rx she has now set her sight on a Gx this time. She’d be fine with an 3-4 year old one but darn they are so high to look so dated.

There is probably higher demand for cars like that then the type I will be looking for a first time driver. That could explain it.

Yeah I remember when I got pissed at my oldest son after two cars he ruined and I bought him a used Vega. I think I paid $600 for it. The headliner hung down in your lap after about 6 months.

Yeah I remember when I got pissed at my oldest son after two cars he ruined and I bought him a used Vega. I think I paid $600 for it. The headliner hung down in your lap after about 6 months.

Didn't know if I should give a Like or Funny. So many of us has been there n done that with kids

My retiree buddies say a lot of them are living off social security and untaxed cash (CD’s, etc.) and not selling investments yet for needed cash. Even then, you initially sell the ones that have little tax consequence. So late boomer retirement that was accelerated by covid could be the reason for the tax downfall.

I could see how that could make a difference but a difference that big? Even in the context of the federal budget, $320B in one year is a pretty big kick in the nuts.

FWIW and reviews be damned, I've had good luck with my '03 X-Type. It is a manual but it just hit 193K miles the other day. And while the paint is starting to have issues, it's most expensive shop trip came when it got a new clutch 60K miles ago. Other than that, tires and oil changes.

For being basic transport, the leaper on the hood makes people think it is more costly than it was. I paid a bit over $4K a decade ago and am the third owner- second only had it a few months. Original owner was a former elected District Attorney.

It was made in the Ford era which also means some parts cross over...

Headline inflation down to 3.2%. The vast majority of the inflation was due to housing and insurance. The government uses lagging indicators for those two categories, which in real time the prices have flattened. Thus, expect to see headline inflation to come down to 2+% in next 6 months as the lagging data catches up to current prices. Yes, prices are 20% higher than January, 2021 at a minimum.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back