INFLATION--FED announces 0.50% interest rate cut

I am expecting higher prices and interest rates to hit the consumer soon as the summer travel blowout comes to an end.

I wish this data was sorted by income quartile.

IMG_7591.jpeg

Have things like hot dogs and bread really gotten this expensive in the US?

View attachment 8326
Things like auto and home insurance have gone up 20-40%. Many other things have as well. However people keep spending - I doubt it lasts much longer. Hourly rate at tire place is $150/h. These places are all filled with folks in their 20’s and 30’s with dubious experience. If you have any skill whatsoever, you will find a job pronto. Seriously the way to fight back is for older folks to work again. We are using retirees at my workplace for the reasons above.

https://www.usnews.com/news/economy...certainty-wariness-over-progress-on-inflation

“Participants cited a number of tentative signs that inflation pressures could be abating,” the minutes said, noting softening in the prices of goods, online merchandise and the fact businesses were raising prices at a smaller pace.

They also acknowledged that there were slower increases in the prices of shelter, along with declines in inflation expectations among consumers.

“Nonetheless, several participants commented that significant disinflationary pressures had yet to become apparent in the prices of core services excluding housing,”

“Although inflation had moderated since the middle of last year, it remained well above the committee's longer-run goal of 2%, and participants remained resolute in their commitment to bring inflation down to the Committee's 2% objective,” according to the minutes.

We could be in for several more quarter-point rate hikes until the Fed is sure inflation is finally kicked.

This is what you call a contradiction. If high prices and high interest rates are killing the middle class, how can interest rates stay higher for longer? Err, does not compute, does not compute.

This is what you call a contradiction. If high prices and high interest rates are killing the middle class, how can interest rates stay higher for longer? Err, does not compute, does not compute.
Balance and stability is a key component. Get inflation under control, pause, then slowly inch rates down, while keeping the delicate balance.

The Biden handouts will only increase moving into 2024. Gotta buy those idiot votes.
Great observation iis. Makes it imperative that we educate the voters on the folly of voting for liberals. One of the greatest truth statements of all time - "There ain't no free lunch!"

Great observation iis. Makes it imperative that we educate the voters on the folly of voting for liberals. One of the greatest truth statements of all time - "There ain't no free lunch!"
That was hard to explain at the grocery store when I got the groceries and the employee gave me cash back.

Fed to decide on rate hike, testing optimism about a 'soft landing' as inflation rises again

"Inflation has ticked up for two consecutive months, reversing some of the progress made in the effort to bring price increases down to normal levels. Meanwhile, oil prices have soared, threatening to push inflation even higher.

On top of that, a strike launched by thousands of autoworkers on Friday risks choking off the supply of cars and elevating prices, further endangering the inflation fight, economists previously told ABC News."

After 3 years of undergrad and one year of grad school economics, I fully understand why economists throw out food, energy, and any other commodity price in their "inflation" calculations. However, the politicians and the Fed need to pull their collective heads out of their rectums and see the real world before making any type of adjustments.

I actually heard an interesting argument for why all the price inflation measurements tend to over report price inflation. It has to do with the impossibility of actually making a meaningful analysis on price change. If nothing else it made me feel better.

After 3 years of undergrad and one year of grad school economics, I fully understand why economists throw out food, energy, and any other commodity price in their "inflation" calculations. However, the politicians and the Fed need to pull their collective heads out of their rectums and see the real world before making any type of adjustments.

Of course, that would make more sense, because it would show how people personally feel inflation in their everyday lives. However, they don't want to do that. They'd rather be able to tell people that inflation is the lower figure, because it's more politically advantageous for them.

Of course, that would make more sense, because it would show how people personally feel inflation in their everyday lives. However, they don't want to do that. They'd rather be able to tell people that inflation is the lower figure, because it's more politically advantageous for them.

It started as more nuts and bolts than that even. The CPI calculation adjustments were made to control Social Security and other welfare payment increases since they are tied to CPI. That is the incentive first and foremost.

However, like I said above, there is reason to believe that price inflation is still over estimated because it is a virtually impossible metric to calculate accurately. Gene Epstein shares information about this on Twitter, interviews, and a book he wrote years ago. He uses the Bureau of Labor Statistics data since he used to work for them and it is noted to be more accurate and detailed than what comes out of BEA.

Not sure I buy that completely mostly because of college, health care, and real estate prices, but I found the comments interesting and counterbalancing.

Beware of premature celebrations on inflation

"The analysis in our paper finds that inflation is most often persistent, that it is critical not to loosen policies prematurely in response to temporary declines in inflation – meaning interest rates will likely need to remain high for longer – and that while fighting inflation often involves short-term pain, this is likely small in relation to the costs of persistently high inflation."

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back