Fielding--5 ERRORS IN OU GAME 1

Lloyd was here 79, 80. Maybe 78 as freshmen. LBJ HS I think.

Lloyd could hit a cut off man, Scott was iffy. Scott was by far the better hitter

Dustin Maj had a big arm too as did many of our OFs. Lloyd was the best I saw, good glove too

Stubbs had great range, but not Lloyd's arm

To add.
Quin played in 60 games at the pro level, had 15 assists. Threw a runner out 1 of every 4 games. Pretty much unheard of , esp for the era. RF/ G was 2.20. Very high for a corner OF.

Last edited:
Stubbs had great range, but not Lloyd's arm

To add.
Quin played in 60 games at the pro level, had 15 assists. Threw a runner out 1 of every 4 games. Pretty much unheard of , esp for the era. RF/ G was 2.20. Very high for a corner OF.

Stubbs minor league career. 549 games, only 44 assists. Threw out 1 runner every 12 games. Good #, but nowhere near Lloyd's %

In addition....Stubbs MiLB RF/G as a corner OF was lower than quin Lloyd's.

Drew stood out to me much the same as Campbell does. It’s one thing to have the arm, it’s another to be accurate when you let it go. I haven’t analyzed the careers for all the guys mentioned, different eras etc.

I just remember sitting just behind the dugout when I think we were playing Ohio St. in the college classic and a deep fly ball was hit to Drew in CF with a runner on 2nd. From my perspective, same as the runner on 2nd, and everyone else in the stadium was likely thinking the same thing, that he wouldn’t be able to make the throw even if he wanted to. even after drew unleashed it was like everything was in slow motion, I still didn’t think he was going to get him but as the runner was getting closer to 3rd, you could tell the ball was thrown with precision as it also approached the target, it arrived just before the runner perfectly for a tag as the runner slid into the base. If I were to watch a replay of it, it may not have looked as amazing as it did live but I’ll never forget.

I’ll take accuracy over velocity any day of the week and twice on Sunday but velocity and velocity is rare. Campbell has it, so did Drew.

Drew stood out to me much the same as Campbell does. It’s one thing to have the arm, it’s another to be accurate when you let it go. I haven’t analyzed the careers for all the guys mentioned, different eras etc.

I just remember sitting just behind the dugout when I think we were playing Ohio St. in the college classic and a deep fly ball was hit to Drew in CF with a runner on 2nd. From my perspective, same as the runner on 2nd, and everyone else in the stadium was likely thinking the same thing, that he wouldn’t be able to make the throw even if he wanted to. even after drew unleashed it was like everything was in slow motion, I still didn’t think he was going to get him but as the runner was getting closer to 3rd, you could tell the ball was thrown with precision as it also approached the target, it arrived just before the runner perfectly for a tag as the runner slid into the base. If I were to watch a replay of it, it may not have looked as amazing as it did live but I’ll never forget.

I’ll take accuracy over velocity any day of the week and twice on Sunday but velocity and velocity is rare. Campbell has it, so did Drew.

Assists by an OF , is accuracy + strong arm. Lloyd was the best we've had

Assists by an OF , is accuracy + strong arm. Lloyd was the best we've had

I wasn’t arguing who was the best.

just mentioning the two OF’s of recent memory that had the arm and the accuracy. Like you said, it’s rare.

I love seeing a great OF though, Lloyd was a little before my time. (I mean, I was alive but not able to watch them.)

Anyone have (or used to have) a pretty good outfield arm in baseball or softball? You gun it hard to home for a play at the plate, yet some dopey 2nd or 3rd baseman, or SS, cuts it off and ruins the play at the plate? Ugggggghhhhh, I really hated that!

You'd shout, LET IT GO! LET IT GO THROUGH! But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO; dingbat 2B/SS/3B decides he knows what's best, cuts it off, and can't get his cutoff throw there on time. Run scores.

:cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2::cursing2:

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

FgCSl8zXEAEvhzx

An early completely amateur/opinionated assessment of fielding:

1B - Thomas (A)
2B - O'Dowd (B)
SS - Flores (B+)
3B - Powell (A)
C - Schuessler (B+ or A-)

OF - Brown (B-) , Belyeu (B+), Cummings (A)

An early completely amateur/opinionated assessment of fielding:

1B - Thomas (A)
2B - O'Dowd (B)
SS - Flores (B+)
3B - Powell (A)
C - Schuessler (B+ or A-)

OF - Brown (B-) , Belyeu (B+), Cummings (A)
I guess I'd better revise this:

1B - Nik Sanders? (B+)
2B - O'Dowd (B)
SS - Flores (A-) -- better make this a straight-up "A"
3B - Powell (A)
C - Schuesler (B+)

Last edited:
Flores made a good showing with his glove in the Alumni game. He's one of the top defensive SS in the conference. Jack's above average. Together they make a good double-play duo.

I guess I'd better revise this:

1B - Nik Sanders? (B+)
2B - O'Dowd (B)
SS - Flores (A-) -- better make this a straight-up "A"
3B - Powell (A)
C - Schuesler (B+)
I'll move Jack up to a B+. He doesn't do much extraordinary, but he makes the plays, turns double plays with Flores, and doesn't make many errors. I've been carrying water for Jack with fans for a few years. Late last year, O'Dowd really showed what he's got at bat, and shut up most of his detractors. He's been made a Team Captain this year. Here's to Captain Jack O'Dowd. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Our analytics guys may be going a bit overboard with the magnitude of the infield shift. There were a few times last night (game 1 of the San Diego series) that Jack O'Dowd was just way out of position in a shift. Had he been closer to the normal 2nd baseman territory, he would have made the play.

Our fielding is off to a rough start this year. Not up to our standards.

Base running could use some work as well.

The Fielding: Not up to par yet this year. Evan vs. Houston Christian U. we fielded sub-par. We're so used to almost always being the #1 fielding team in the conference. Hopefully we'll improve back to the usual UT standard at fielding.

He had another nice one today that was very similar. Is he playing to close to 2nd? In any case, he's throwing the leather around this year!

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back