ESPN+ Problems (LSU/USC game)

JohnnyBravo

250+ Posts
DirectTV stream is in a fight with Disney/ESPN so I could not get the LSU/USC (on ABC) game Sat. night.

Brought it up on ESPN+ (iphone) and then on to my TV screen via AppleTV. However, every minute or so the screen would freeze for 10-25 seconds.

Anyone else have that problem?

If so is there a fix?

Thks

I got to watch the whole game but today I have same blackouts
Even tho I have AT&T unverse
AT&T supposedly split Direct off on its own
There is a thread in the Stands that explains cutting the cord
Trying to understand it

Me, too. Planning to go all streaming, but, FYI, a friend who works for ATT told me to wait until I had fiber optic in my neighborhood. She said ATT will send a knowledgeable technician to upgrade old cable to fiber - including removing wiring from the outdoor pole to the house and will make certain that everything is 21st Century.

Me, too. Planning to go all streaming, but, FYI, a friend who works for ATT told me to wait until I had fiber optic in my neighborhood. She said ATT will send a knowledgeable technician to upgrade old cable to fiber - including removing wiring from the outdoor pole to the house and will make certain that everything is 21st Century.
Don't hold your breath. Someone representing AT&T will come to your neighborhood, dig up the yards, discover they don't have what they need, pack up and leave without repairing their mess. If you see them in the next 3-4 weeks, they are there by mistake. Wish I still had the photos from my daughter's neighborhood.

Confused. I have Uverse fiber optic for over a year and have had no issues. Their installation was seamless. Guess my neighborhood was lucky.
Can't figure out why Uverse is blacked out same as Direct TV
And NO getting through to customer service or answer online

Confused. I have Uverse fiber optic for over a year and have had no issues. Their installation was seamless. Guess my neighborhood was lucky.
Can't figure out why Uverse is blacked out same as Direct TV
And NO getting through to customer service or answer online
But consider where you live to where the retired CEO lives. While not the same neighborhood, you do live between his house and the Galleria, which means his wife is likely waiving at you when she drives by.

You can sign up for YouTube TV (another streaming service) and get a 21-day free trial (and so get ABC/ESPN in the meantime). I'm actually going to switch from DirecTV Streaming to YouTube TV because it's a much better deal (SEC Network is part of their basic package of channels, so it works out to almost $40/month cheaper than DirecTV).

Last edited:
I've had YouTube TV for several years. Beats the hell out of AT&T, Uverse, DirecTV, DISH, Spectrum. But you prolly do need fiber optic. Google fiber ain't bad.

Isa
So since AT&T already installed fiber optic in my area does YouTube tv use theirs?
At least the game this week is on Fox I have some time to research and learn.
I am really ignorant on this.

So there’s still no one with Fidium? That’s the fiber optic in my area and I’ve seen no reports on it.

So since AT&T already installed fiber optic in my area does YouTube tv use theirs?
You can stream YouTubeTV over whatever internet service you have. I watch YouTubeTV on two different TVs using Rokus: one via Spectrum cable internet (100Mbps, nothing special) and one via Google Fiber feed (also 100Mbps). (I have two internet feeds because I need the redundancy for business.)

Thanks GEH
I have AT&T uverse so I just have to figure out and learn how to stream. I needed to anyway and now have time to work it out.
Can I easily switch back and forth between Uverse and YouTube Tv? I know I am pretty dumb about this

Can I easily switch back and forth between Uverse and YouTube Tv?
I don't know enough about Uverse to answer (is it an internet service or tv service, or both?). To stream anything, generally speaking, you'll just need a third-party device like a Roku (around $40 at Best Buy) or AppleTV device, internet service (from anyone) and Wi-Fi. Stick the device into an HDMI port on your tv and switch to that port (as if you're switching between your tv and DVD player). Once you start streaming you'll never go back. The only concession you'll have to make is getting used the very spare remotes of a Roku or AppleTV, which are not nearly as robust as a typical remote control for cable tv (for example). But once you get used to it, it becomes second nature.

Last edited:
More info (yes, I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of time researching this the past couple of days, haha). To get the sports package on DirecTV (SEC Network, FS2, ESPNU, etc.) you need Tier 2, which costs $109/month + tax. For YouTubeTV, that same sports package is part of the basic subscription price of $73/month + tax.

I don't know enough about Uverse to answer, but not sure why you would want two tv providers? To stream anything, generally speaking, you'll just need a third-party device like a Roku (around $40 at Best Buy) or AppleTV device, and Wi-Fi. Stick the device into an HDMI port on your tv and switch to that port (as if you're switching between your tv and DVD player). Once you start streaming you'll never go back. The only concession you'll have to make is getting used the very spare remotes of a Roku or AppleTV, which are not nearly as robust as a typical remote control for cable tv (for example). But once you get used to it, it becomes second nature.
Speaking as somebody who just cut the cord this weekend, I agree with everything here. My primary live TV package is Hulu instead of AppleTV, but once I bought the Roku stick and test drove the free stuff that's available, I knew it was a hell of a better deal than Spectrum.

My only complaint so far is I can't figure out how to extend a recording so the back end of games doesn't get cut off.

My only complaint so far is I can't figure out how to extend a recording so the back end of games doesn't get cut off.
I don't know how Hulu works, but with DirecTV it automatically adjusts the recording time if a game goes longer than expected. For our old Spectrum cable tv, I'd just record a show or two after the game to be safe. For YouTubeTV, I haven't figured that out yet.

I have no idea what I have, but I'm choosing to use YouTubeTV over the other 19 options I have. Mine automatically adjusts the recording to the actual extension and late starts. Also have unlimited storage on the cloud. It gives me the option to record a single event or every Longhorn event.

As I've said before, my son and grandson understand all of this, my job is to make sure there are replacement batteries for the remote in the "junk drawer".

Isa
Yes, but I don't remember what it cost. (Mrs. 1sa set it up for auto-pay & the price has since gone up) 1 nice feature (among several) is that YouTube TV has unlimited recording space.

I don't know enough about Uverse to answer (is it an internet service or tv service, or both?)

It's both. I cut the cord about 7 years ago and never looked back. I use Amazon Firesticks in my TVs for streaming. The poster that said the remotes are spare is correct, such as, you cannot jump back and forth easily between streaming services like you do channels on a consolidated service. Still, I pay $50/month for internet, $10/month for Netflix and $5/month for Hulu (regular, not Hulu+). That is against about $200/month when I had Uverse for TV and for Internet. I have an outdoor antenna that gets about 65 channels and, really, in my old age, that is where most of my TV comes from anymore.

Isa
If you have trouble finding/installing/etc., get a 12 yr old nephew/neighbor/etc. (any 12 yr old will do) to help. Fortunately my adult son still lives at home. (I am 100% technostupid)

@Horn6721 and anybody else thinking of going to YouTubeTV. If you have a Smart TV or basically anything new, you can download the YouTube TV app on your TV set.

For example, I have been using LG TVs for the past 6 years and have always been able to get the YouTube TV app on it. In fact, I don't even use my Roku any longer since my TV can get all the streaming apps that I use, i.e. Netflix, Prime, Max, Disney+.

If you have trouble finding/installing/etc., get a 12 yr old nephew/neighbor/etc. (any 12 yr old will do) to help. Fortunately my adult son still lives at home. (I am 100% technostupid)
No, I did not steal SA's password and type this, and neither does my son live with me, but a qualify with the last four words, and am dependent on my son and grandson

I am not even sure where a HDMI port is on any of tvs or if any of my tvs are "smart"
At least I have time to learn. I should have made the effort before but got lazy. UVerse worked so well with so few problems, just use the remote.
Thanks for advice All
Hope I am not too obtuse to work it out. Heck it took me a while to figure out difference between modem and gateway/router

Last edited:
I am not even sure where a HDMI port is on any of tvs or if any of my tvs are "smart"
At least I have time to learn. I should have made the effort before but got lazy. UVerse worked so well with so few problems, just use the remote.
Thanks for advice All
Hope I am not too obtuse to work it out. Heck it took me a while to figure out difference between modem and gateway.
When did you buy your TV? What brand is your TV?

When did you buy your TV? What brand is your TV?
1968-magnavox-23-inch-color-tv-my-next-restoration-project-v0-zp87a98gz75b1.jpg

I think we may have found the issue... :trophy:

I have a Vizio Samsung and LG. All at least 6/7 years old
Do know how to find ports so will look.

Ah the good old days. Had a Sony Watchman, could put batteries in take it out to pool and watch away games, just by turning it on. Now I would need to get a new Big one installed.

I have a Vizio Samsung and LG. All at least 6/7 years old
Do know how to find ports so will look.

Ah the good old days. Had a Sony Watchman, could put batteries in take it out to pool and watch away games, just by turning it on. Now I would need to get a new Big one installed.
If you are streaming via Wi-Fi on your TV then you won't need a HDMI port.

Wi-Fi is usually considered wireless internet connection on your TV. That is dependent on how your internet is used in your home.

Some TVs could be hard wired with internet or use a Wi-Fi signal to connect to the internet.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back