Dismiss Notice

Hey Hornfans,

I posted an update to the Upgrades Notice so check that out if you’re interested. It’s happening late Thursday night, more details on the thread.

~ Dion

DBU

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Buck-Horn, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I was listening to the Barking Carnival podcast this morning and their take is that orlando is failing in the same way manny Diaz did.
    Orlando thinks its all about his genius* scheme and that nothing is more critical than having the exact right play call on every down. But he is rendering some very talented football players into nothing more than Xs and Os doing predetermined things.
    When you actually need a couple of guys like Caden Sterns or Brandon Jones just to be able to read and react.

Basically over-thinking the whole thing and making some very talented players look very average in the process.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I don't think it is fair to compare Orlando to Manny _iaz. If Texas gives up 375 yds per game passing for this entire year then yes. But I think Orlando will right this ship eventually. Hopefully there is some improvement by OSU. Stay tuned. Orlando just has extremely young CB's. He has no choice or option but take more chances until he can rely on them and leave them somewhat on an island.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Detective Shilala

Not yet. But he has got to figure some things out fast, because by this time I think most OCs have figured him out.
    Remember, Manny was a darling for a time too until OCs had figured him out, and he failed to learn any new tricks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sorry, DS, but those who did their homework already knew that Diaz got lucky with three high NFL picks on that one defense. The following year, Miss State was not much to write home about. Mack Brown did NO homework on the guy, just listened to some "reliable sources", none of whom had a clue what they were talking about. People tried to tell Mack, but you can't tell hin anything.

:hookem2:

5. Detective Shilala

Your average fans were plenty happy with Manny Diaz after his first season here when we led the Big 12 in total defense and 11th nationally in total defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I guess we're all hoping for a non Manny _iaz sequel. That would suck, hello 8-4.

7. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I have long advocated the requirement to use a team time out if the trainers can't get 'em off the field before the play clock expires ... or ... half the distance to the goal. But hey, I don't believe in PI either.