Coach Pierce leaves a legacy that will not soon be forgotten.

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Chop, May 3, 2023.

1. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Well I'll be damned, I didn't know there was a CDC/Vitello connection:

For the record, i still don't believe the rumor but sure adds some drama to it.

Vitello's previous stop
    2013 -- TCU (Postseason: Big 12 Tournament)

In 2013, 11 TCU newcomers from an 11th-ranked recruiting class saw time on the field for Frogs. A pair of Horned Frog freshmen earned Freshman All-America honors, as Boomer White hit .314 with 27 RBIs, while Alex Young was 7-4 with five saves in 22 appearances, 20 in relief. Despite featuring four new faces, TCU's pitching staff ranked among the Division I top 20 in most pitching categories during the 2013 season.

2012 -- TCU (Postseason: NCAA Los Angeles Super Regional)

Despite TCU's youth in 2012, the squad enjoyed success on the field, winning the Mountain West Conference regular-season championship and advancing to Super Regional play before falling to UCLA. Four Horned Frog hitters earned All-Big 12 accolades, and six TCU players were selected in the MLB Draft. Vitello's 2012 recruiting class was ranked in the top 10 nationally by Baseball America, and the group paid immediate dividends for the Horned Frogs as 16 players made their debut during the season. Freshman Preston Morrison was named the Mountain West Pitcher and Freshman of the Year and also was selected as a third-team All-American and a Freshman All-American.

2011 -- TCU (Postseason: NCAA Fort Worth Regional)

In his first season at TCU in 2011, Vitello worked with an offense that finished the season with a .306 batting average and averaged 6.7 runs per game. The team hit 141 doubles on the season, which ranked fourth all-time in school history. The Horned Frogs totaled 43 victories and advanced to an NCAA Regional. Five offensive players earned All-MWC honors, and four offensive players were selected in the 2011 MLB Draft.

2. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Vitello was the pitching coach for none other than Max Scherzer at Missouri. Some of you may know that guy.

3. WJHorn

WJHorn 100+ Posts

I can see your point, but at the same time, Pierce hasn't exactly been the most active guy in the portal in the past, either.

4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Is the portal open? I can't keep track of that bugger.

5. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Yes, there are over 4,000 players in the portal for baseball already. I saw a comment some where that stated there were only 5700 positions available (this is not word for word and my number is not exact) to put in perspective the number of players that want to change.

Also, Vandy has already made some nice pick ups in the portal, I don't yet know how good but considering Pierce needs ALOT of help in the bullpen and starting pitching, he should be active, no way he survives next year if he's returning.

6. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

That's a really intriguing connection you found there. I thought the guy was kind of an *** when we played Tennessee in the 2021 CWS, but I like his fire and his success in the SEC is undeniable. If he beats aggy handily in the final series (assuming that match-up happens), I will love the guy.

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Bring back Minchey through the portal.

Also, our coaches can go grovel to Kash to get him back. I hear his parents are very involved in their son's life. It's refreshing to see kids from good families go far.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Really need from the portal this offseason:

1 stud starting pitcher
    2 stud relievers
    a 3rd baseman who bats 0.325+ and hits over 10 homers.
    at least 1 more really good bat.

9. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I have not heard of any of our players hitting the portal - are there any? If DP is as terrible of a coach as some of you guys say, wouldn't a lot of Texas players be wanting to transfer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

And a new Head Coach.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This is a very good point. People should think things through.

12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Maybe Pierce hasn't had those "end of season" conversations. There will always be portals when some get the message they aren't performing to expectations.

The fact there are no portals at all means either: A)conversations haven't been had yet, B) Pierce knows he's on his way out and will leave that to the next coach or C) (and this is the worst possible scenario) Pierce has had those conversations and everyone is comfortable with where they are. Comfort is the direct pathway to mediocrity.

13. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

The pride and winning tradition of The University of Texas shall not be entrusted to the weak or the timid.

David may be a very nice person, but he doesn't meet the criteria.

14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He’s always struck me as strong, bold, and forceful.

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

As a 20 year old & on the Disch gravy train, do you bail for a lesser program or wait and see what Chris does and who the new hire is? The portal will still be there later if you are unhappy, get a better offer, or are told to leave.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. WJHorn

WJHorn 100+ Posts

If DP is a good a coach as you say he is, wouldn’t there be a lot of players transferring it?

17. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

not if they think he will be replaced.

18. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

19. WJHorn

WJHorn 100+ Posts

And the same could be said for why current players aren’t transferring out - maybe they’re waiting to see what’s coming next. Point being, it’s silly to say that DP is a good (or bad) coach based on portal activity at this point in the cycle.

20. Phil Elliott

Man you guys dont understand how the portal works, do y'all?

21. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

No. Please mansplain.

• Funny Funny x 2
  22. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Dr Pepper is involved, I think.

23. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

Just curious, Phil, how do you think we'll do in our first SEC season next year? Middle of the pack? Bottom of the barrel? Win the conference?

24. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Middle of the pack.

25. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

So it has something to do with 10, 2 & 4.

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Phil Elliott

It was asked why players are not parachuting into Texas to play here if DP is such a great coach. It doesn't work that way. Players enter the portal of their own accord and they don't have to tell anyone, but, they cannot then just decide, "I want to go to Texas and play for David Pierce" and then just show up at our doorstep. They have to be asked to come here, or anywhere. So players not transferring in doesn't mean anything except we are either a) not seeing anyone we need or b) we don't have any room for them. I suppose the DP haters will say maybe nobody wants to come here, and that is a possibility, but we don't know that, and, it is highly unlikely or our guys would be hitting the portal to get away.

27. Phil Elliott

I don't know anymore than any of you do. I think we will be competitive, but there is still lots of time for player and coaching moves to be made by us and also by our new competition, so we don't even know yet who we will be facing or who are going to be.

Let's be clear - I do not think David Pierce is the greatest coach in the history of UT baseball. It's not black and white like that. He doesn't do everything I want, but no coach does. I do think he has done enough to be given more time and I do think we are more likely to regress if a change is made because there are not a whole lot of coaches out there who are clearly better than DP and who would also take the job.

28. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Just kidding.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

UT all-time record (against other college teams) is .734. DP's UT record is .643. a&m's record is .634. I don't mean to disparage DP, but he would be an historic step up at a&m. Not so at Texas.
    When we lose to teams like a&mCC & UTRGV, go 0-2 in a mediocre Big XII Tourney & 1-2 in Regional (being thumped out 10-2 by U.La.Laf) something is very wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
  30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Portal for baseball is different than other sports because it does not involve a "free ride". Almost none of the baseball players are on full scholarships. Factor in instate vs out of state tuition and there is a huge difference. Maybe the school can get the out of state waived. I'm not sure how many scholarships Pierce gets to divide, but I do know The University has kicked in some scholarship money, but usually just a few hundred dollars a year.

Maybe all these factors and amounts have changed, but portal to a totally free ride in football does not compare to a partial amount in baseball.

• Agree Agree x 1