Dismiss Notice

Hey Hornfans,

I posted an update to the Upgrades Notice so check that out if you’re interested. It’s happening late Thursday night, more details on the thread.

~ Dion

Coach Pierce leaves a legacy that will not soon be forgotten.

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Chop, May 3, 2023.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And Daly's glove was clearly superior to the 2 players we fielded at 2nd base this year. Daly's glove work is only slightly below the glove work of J. Flores.

2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Technically people are griping about under performing to expectations here. If he performs better somewhere else that doesn't mean they would have been better here too. Situations, coaching, teammates, etc all are different. There is zero proof that Daly would have been any better in the field nor at the plate at Texas than what we had this year. Linear "he did it at Kentucky so he would have done it here" thinking does not apply.

3. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

Players move on now, that’s what they do. I’m happy for Mitchell and his success. He was a good player for us, and I’m glad he landed in a good place

4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I'm glad you are all Coach Pierce supporters.

:beertoast:

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chop,

Sorry, I didn't realize this thread was limited to just the two of you.

:whiteflag:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

7. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Daly's glove was top tier, I would put it up against anyones on this years team. Only complaint i had was his offense, lots of strikeouts and low avg. but by no means did i want him to transfer.

Daly
    2023 stats
    fld % .969
    bat avg. .231

2024 stats
    fld % .976
    bat avg. .302
    SO's 40

Horns infielders 2024 =
    Flores fld %.953 bat avg. .340; SO's 54
    Kennedy fld% .962 bat avg. .209; SO's 42
    Powell fld % .945 bat avg. .318; SO's 34

Make your own judgements but Daly's fld % beats everyone on the infield that's not a 1st baseman. These numbers are also in a conference with significantly more talent than the Big XII.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Rumor on another board is that Texas has reached out to Tennessee's coach and he will be leaving Vols' to come here. 3 million plus $NIL bucks guaranteed. Vol nation denies it could happen. Just passing it along.

• Hot Hot x 1
  9. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I saw that. A rumor I don’t believe at this point. Doesn’t quite make sense to me, although Tennessee isn’t Texas, he has a good program going now at a place with lower expectations.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Tenn is still playing. NO WAY that CDC is offering a contract to a coach whose team is still playing. That would be very uncool and CDC is not uncool.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

I saw that over at SECRant, which means it's probably not true. The Rant can be entertaining, but it's a total trolling site, meaning that it's a war of all against all. It's likely just someone just trying to troll Tennessee fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  12. Phil Elliott

If we're gonna go shopping at Tenn, lets get their pitching coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  13. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

The Tennessee rumor sounds like something put out there so that when he stays at Tennessee haters can say he rejected Texas' offer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

Vitello seems like an *** and a bad fit here. Are there any solid head coaches that happen to be going through a messy divorce and want a fresh start in life? This is the aggy playbook, which has apparently worked with Schlossnaggy, although not so much for Jimbo. It's clearly not an infallible strategy.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  15. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Or could we find a great coach who is single but has a bats#¡t crazy girlfr...uhhh, never mind.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Not that this helps but my LSU booster is convinced Texas wants their coach and he will leave. I asked if Tenn and LSU coach had same agent? He said yes. go figure.

17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I find it amusing that SEC fans automatically assume that Texas can steal any coach that it wants.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I know very little about Johnson (???), but his resume reminds me way too much of Tom Herman's for me to get too interested.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That dysfunctional family just adopted a big brother...
    :ut:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Phil Elliott

We have a number of posters on here that think that as well.

• Funny Funny x 2
  21. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

A&M was able to money-whip Schlossnaggy and lure him away from TCU. What makes you think we couldn't do something similar for the best prospect out there? This isn't 2017 when we had an inexperienced, interim AD trying to find us a baseball coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
  22. Phil Elliott

That is not what I said. We might, we might not.

But for that to be true, you are saying that there is NO COACH IN AMERICA that would not take the UT job. That cannot possibly be true.

23. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

Who here actually said this? The answer is no one. But, hey, let's quit all this nonsense talk about upgrading from Pierce and just enjoy watching aggy in Omaha this weekend, shall we?

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
  24. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Regarding our next coach, rumor has it that Davy Crockett set the precedence...

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

At this point, it seems inevitable, not seeing or hearing of any portal news (incoming), nothing coming from anyone regarding baseball.

it sure feels like dead man walking. Burnt orange mile style.

26. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I see what you did there.

• Like Like x 1
  27. WJHorn

WJHorn 100+ Posts

While it is not the complete disaster that the last baseball head coach transition was, it is starting to approach it. With weeks now having passed, I can only see two outcomes - 1) we announce that Pierce is being retained, which will look very much like we wanted to make a change but couldn't get anyone to take the job, or 2) we will finally announce a dismissal and new hire, which is a pretty shoddy treatment of Pierce (and that's coming from someone who isn't one of his fans). Neither is a good look for what should be considered the premier program in baseball, historically. Only excuse would be if we end up with a coach that has a team still playing, which seems very unlikely.

28. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Seems to be playing out like football with dismissing Herman and hiring Sark with Bama still in the playoffs.

29. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Everyone said the same thing about the Rodney Terry situation. CDC isn't some rookie AD. I guarantee he and Pierce have had some sort of conversation and I don't really think he cares what we nor the media think about the handling of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

And not seeing any activity from Pierce in the portal to me is telling about that conversation between CDC and Pierce.

• Agree Agree x 1