Chuy's

ViperHorn

10,000+ Posts
Like Whataburger, another favorite on the downward slope.

Attachments

• Chuy's.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 40
SN,

Olive Garden serves a great purpose in our society which is a place for the masses of "they don't know any better" to stay out of our way when we want real Italian food.

Unfortunately for those of us in Harris County, Joe Matranga's, Achilles', Nino's, Damien's, among others have closed, and Tillman has taken over Vallone's restaurants. Good, much less great Italian in Houston is very difficult to find.

Is there anywhere in Texas that knows what Vula Vant (sp) is much less serves it?

They cut about 50% of the menu during covid and still haven't brought it back. Many locations were also having quality issues. I had a feeling they were struggling....but Olive Garden? Chuys may go the way of Panchos.

Ahhh Panchos, that was one in El Paso that you would raise the little flag when you wanted your server to bring more of something. Ha, the epitome of in one day and out the next.

I'm still sad about Trudy's closing down. That was our post game hangout to watch game highlights and get shrimp and fish tacos.

I didn't know they were located anywhere but Houston. Seems like there was one on Long Point, but the one in Bellaire is the one the Health Dept shut down. That was before Marvin Zindler found out that The Texas Medical Center weekly newspaper printed a list of health violations which he could read or "scream" into the camera to become the clown (he was one) prince of local TV without ever leaving the studio as long as some video guy would go out and take a picture of the restaurant.

I've never been impressed with Chuy's including the original one which I lived close to when I was a student.

But no doubt, Darden will only make it suck. Just like when Landry's buys something, they will only screw it up with cheap food, cheap ingredients and managers who flunked out of Houston Community College.

I remember Pancho's for the little flag at the table.

And of course, the sopapillas.
The sign is still in place for the Jouston location on 45. Also was appearing on their website for a LONG time after it closed down...just looked and that storefront is STILL on the homepage.

SN,

Olive Garden serves a great purpose in our society which is a place for the masses of "they don't know any better" to stay out of our way when we want real Italian food.

Unfortunately for those of us in Harris County, Joe Matranga's, Achilles', Nino's, Damien's, among others have closed, and Tillman has taken over Vallone's restaurants. Good, much less great Italian in Houston is very difficult to find.

Is there anywhere in Texas that knows what Vula Vant (sp) is much less serves it?
The theatre crowd used to seem to really like Birra Porettis, but I always thought it was just so-so.

For the upper end, does Tony's still exist?

Osso Buco and Branzino are some other fine dishes some use to judge such restaurants by.

For desert, the Italian Wedding Cake at Gaido's in Galveston is really something!

Chuy's - their Hatch green chile recipes (in season) can be good, but they pick some of the hottest Hatch green chilis on the farm!

Tony's is still around, but a shell of its former self since Tillman took over it and Grotto. Those are places to be seen, but not so much to eat. Bill Johnson made Tony's & Anthony's something special. Don't know what happened to Bill after Sabine. The only "greats" of Houston left is Brennan's, but it ain't no Commander's Palace.

Hell, even the Barbecue Inn has changed its CFS recipe. I may live here, but I no longer have a "favorite restaurant" in Houston.

I liked the original one in Austin down near Barton Springs. Always real busy.

Even now, it's noticeably better than most of the other Mexican food chain restaurants.

Turtle soup and pralines!

What an amazing family of chefs.
The core of that family was the epitome of class. I hadn't been out of school very long and took my parents for the weekend to see Texas/OU. I made reservations at Brennan's in downtown Dallas (basement of First National Bank Building I think). Food was awful and service was lousy. I wrote John & Adelaine (I think I have those names correct) a letter and sent it to Commanders Palace describing my disappointment. She not only responded but looked up my credit card receipt and included their check for full refund, including bar and tip, along with a certificate for free dinner for four at any of their restaurants including Houston. Who does that?

I became a regular at Commanders Palace and spent a lot of y'all's tax dollars there in the early 80s

The core of that family was the epitome of class. I hadn't been out of school very long and took my parents for the weekend to see Texas/OU. I made reservations at Brennan's in downtown Dallas (basement of First National Bank Building I think). Food was awful and service was lousy. I wrote John & Adelaine (I think I have those names correct) a letter and sent it to Commanders Palace describing my disappointment. She not only responded but looked up my credit card receipt and included their check for full refund, including bar and tip, along with a certificate for free dinner for four at any of their restaurants including Houston. Who does that?

I became a regular at Commanders Palace and spent a lot of y'all's tax dollars there in the early 80s
Sabre,
Where do you stand on Court of Two Sisters in New Orleans?

That has always been a favorite of mine, and I haven't been to Commander's Palace.

Don’t know what Sabre might say but several years ago our NO rep took several of us there (and to Commanders the next night) and it was excellent. Again this was when I was still working so probably 14 years ago or so. Can’t speak about it now. Last few trips just did quick trips hitting Felix’s for oysters was about it.

I never had a meal or service at Court of Two Sisters that was even mediocre. I was taken there three times and have never gone back.

You are giving it to much credit.
The only reason that anyone ever went to BP is because it was the ONLY restaurant in downtown Houston and was across the street from The Alley. In the 70s there was Huber's Seafood on Travis, but I think their building fell into Buffalo Bayou, which is better than all of us worrying it would collapse while we were in there. BP franchise was owned by several stock brokers - bad food, worse service.

Recent Threads

Back