Working for Google

LovinTheAtx

250+ Posts
Does anyone here have experience working at Google? More specifically, the location in Mountain View, CA?

It looks like I may have a good chance to work at that location, but don't really have an insider's take of working for this company.

So far, imo, I really like it and am pretty excited if I get to make the move soon.

Anything will help. Thanks
hookem.gif

IMO - getting it on your resume now, albeit a few years, will pay nicely for a long time to come given the global cachet

I just took a job with Google in Munich, Germany. I'm pretty excited and will be starting in a few weeks. The benefits (which are quite amazing!) and the people are what really attracted me to the company. Not only will it look great on my resume in a few years, but there is also the potential for me to move up within the company, something that I didn't have at my company here in Austin.

my brother works in Munich after working for a company in Austin. Great place to live, great beer, good women, and I would move there any time.....

Thanks for the replies. Looks like this is going go be a good company to work for if I get a pretty good job with them.

I was asked if I had looked into working out the other locations (Munich was mentioned), but I really didn't know at the time. At least if there are horn fans in Germany, I'll be a happy girl there too.

I'll keep you updated if I end up with this company.

hookem.gif

Several of the folks from my MBA class are out in Mountain View. I had the opportunity to go have lunch on campus last summer. Great food and it is free. Also, free smoothies, snacks, etc. It is a hell of a setup.

The coolest thing about Google is the expect you to spend 20% of your time working on projects outside of your role. This gives you the opportunity to gain exposure to all parts of the business and possibly work on the next big thing at Google.

If I were single and willing to be relatively poor again, I would certainly do it.

I lived in Mt View for 2 years, nice place. I would think about living there if your going to work there since you get first shot at tickets to any concert at the shoreline amphitheater. Castro street (downtown mt view) has quite a bit of good restaurants that are not too expensive. Very typical for bay area but one of my favorite Thai places is Amarin.

Google took over the site of silicon graphics which was pretty nice and is really close to NASA. They have a yearly airshow at the NASA fields with blue angels etc. Also dont forget to go north to highway 92 over the mountains, its a short 30 min drive to the coast by half moon bay. They have a good festival there in oct but there should be a festival about every other weekend all over the bay area from San Jo to Sunnyvale to Belmont. The best one in Mountain View is a beer festival sometime in late summer.. have fun

Thanks for the info on Mountain View. How long would it take to get to San Fransisco? I've heard it is around 45 minutes. I have some friends from college who live there, so would visit them some.

Wow. First, thank you all for your responses. I was not expecting this type of response, so this has been great. Everything has helped in trying to make a decision on the next step. I have no doubt that this company would be a lot better than most out there to work for and the location is pretty awesome (at least compared to San Antonio). The information on the city and its activities has helped greatly since I’m not familiar with the Bay Area.

I’ve been out of town the last couple of days interviewing for another company, so I should hopefully have a clearer picture of where I’ll end up in the next couple of months.

As expressed from some of you, my main concern of a possible job at Google in Mountain View is the salary. It maybe a bit lower than what I’ve been offered elsewhere, so that is something I’m taking into consideration. The one thing I like is that there seems to be a lot more people my age working at Google. I’m 24 and am one of the youngest at my current company’s location, which has around 1,000 people. It is not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes I like to interact with people who don’t always have to remind me of my age.

If I find out any additional information regarding this company that hasn’t been already mentioned, I’ll updated everyone incase there is someone else out there looking into Google.

Thanks again!
hookem.gif

I am also interviewing at a company in SF for a software engineer position....keep me updated, I love to hear how others are doing!

fwiw, at 24, I generally do not see it as a time in life to maximize your salary. It is time to build the resume and/or get on with a company full of folks who will create or go on to create the next big thing.

Go to Google for 3-5 years and you will position yourself to be making the big bucks by 30.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back