The end of scholarship limits proposed

Sangre Naranjada

10,000+ Posts
NCAA considering a new model for financial bluebloods.

Interesting quotes from the article.

Entry into the subdivision requires a school to invest, at minimum, $30,000 per year per athlete into what is termed an “enhanced educational trust fund” for at least half of a school’s countable athletes. Schools would determine when athletes receive the amount, which, for four-year athletes, will total at least $120,000. Schools must continue to abide by the framework of Title IX, assuring that 50 percent of the investment be directed toward women athletes.
This may help our softball, wbb, vb, and soccer programs continue to compete for the best athletes.

Schools in the new subdivision would also gain control of decision-making around scholarship limits and countable coaches, the NCAA's way of handing major conference programs the freedom to increase the limits or do away with them altogether.
We get to decide how many scholarships we want to provide in football? Cool! If I read this right, all we have to do is abide by the Title IX framework and provide extra to female athletics as well.

There is more info in the article, but at first glance, I like what I am reading.

This is an interesting idea. Unfortunately, there aren't a bunch of schools that have the resources to add more money to the pot, even from donors. I don't know if you would end up with a 12 team conference. While some would try to play the game, it would eventually fail because the money wouldn't be consistently available. If I remember correctly, Texas and Ohio State are the only two athletic programs that don't require school or state funding to operate. That may have changed recently but it probably didn't change a bunch.

I prefer that we have a level playing field in all this but maybe heavily slanted towards Austin TX which is only right and natural

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back