Texas vs AM - pre game thoughts

Crusher X

250+ Posts
Texas has not won in College Station in three seasons. I was at two of those losses.

But, a win tonight would be a solid win despite A&M being in a slump.

DJ must be DJ. DJ will have to be smart with the ball, be aggressive to the hoop, and make his free throws. We’ll need about 20-25 from him tonight. Plus, he’ll have to play 38+ minutes, so no cheap fouls. I absolutely love this kid’s game.

AJ needs to pick his spots. Too many misses will give A&M the rebounding edge. If AJ can hit a few shots early, he’ll get a chance to drive to the hoop more and hopefully get to the line.

Our forwards and posts just need to play good defense, box out and be strong. A&M has a lot of big guys, so our big guys will need to match their play.

Damion had a very strong game the last time we played A&M. If we can get that same type of effort, I feel good about a win.

On defense, I think we’ll continue to mix up our defenses. Because of A&M’s inside people, I think coach Barnes goes to the zone early. But, we’ll need our guards to get out on the shooters. I don’t see any real big time playmakers on the A&M team, but guys like Kirk and Carter are streaky shooters and play well at home. This is where Mason will be key.

Jones is a notorious fouler, so going after him with Dex or Gary should be in the game plan.

I haven’t been real impressed with what I’ve seen of Jordan. Ok, so he’s a 7 footer, but his stat lines have been rather ordinary. Connor can lure him out of the paint if he can knock done some jump shots.

The crowd will be loud, but that type of stuff doesn’t faze Barnes, nor the team. In fact, they thrive on it. If we play smart and under control, all their cute little yells will be nothing more than background noise.

It should be a fun game to watch. Barnes’ teams play well on the road. I think they will play well tonight.

Texas Fight!

I am a bit puzzled on this one. I had this marked down as a loss before the season, but Baylor, constituted very much like UT, won at CS last week.

It's possible that A&M overlooked the Bears, but it shouldn't have, considering the previous spankings at Tech and K-State.

The Aggies, as usual, should come out fired up for the game -- the fans will, anyway. A&M shot and missed a ton of FTs against Baylor, and the Bears made only 7 of 34 threes. Five Bears fouled out, and Baylor still won.

I think the Aggies defend the home court, but now I think it's a toss-up.

Road wins are tough in the Big 12. I don't think there are many on our schedule that you can chalk up as a win. We'll have to play our best to win.

I confiedent that DJ and Damian will do there part. They alwasy do. It is really up to the contribution that we get from the rest of the team - including the bench.

If AJ has an off night as he is prone to do from time to time, we're in trouble. I'm hoping he shot himself out of his slump in the second half of TT.

If Atchley and Mason disappear, like they do from time to time, we're in trouble. Good news is Mason seems to have found himself again.

If we don't get solid minutes out of the back up big men, we're in trouble. I appreciate the Mooney feel-good story, but we really need the Wangmene/Chapman/Pittman combo that we saw against TT.

We can't afford to take many iffy shots against a team that will keep opponents off the offensive boards like A&M often does.

Make sure that none of our starters get 2 quick fouls early in the game. That always kills us.

Look for Barnes to go small a lot tonight to try and out-quick them. Tech pounded them doing that.
Of course you have to hit your shots from outside.

And whatever we do........make our free throws.

A&M has been terrible from the line all year which means they will shoot 90% against us tonight.

I have a good feeling about tonight.

Hook'em !

For some reason I just don't have a real good feeling about this game tonight. We were the much better team in '06 when we played in C.S., but Acie Law coudn't have cared less as he hit that 3 at the buzzer. I am very glad A&M won over the weekend and they're not coming into this game on a 4 game losing streak.

I can't imagine this game not coming down to the wire.....and with that I think we have the advantage.

We have one thing aggy doesn't - a go-to-guy. DJ wants the ball at the end, and he can create his own shot when he wants.

Make no mistake, this is a HUGE game. If we want to challenge a 2-3 seed, or stay within range of KU, we must win games like this.

Mooney must get minutes, his inside out slashing rebounding skills will be key to stopping Aggy's zoophilia. Godspeed.

Not looking good. 14-2 at the 1st timeout.
frown.gif

Play zone to keep the ball out of the inside.

Hit the broad side of a barn. We look like we did in the first half against tech but unfortunately, aggy looks like they cant miss.

We finally start to get things going but the aggys still cant miss. This is ******* unbelievable. Surely they come back down to earth.

WTF is up with Johnson. The two times he's stepped out on a screen, the man easily beats him to the inside to give up an easy drive and dish. He is killing us right now.

Seems to me that the ags are getting touch fouls called up top as well that we aren't getting. Not like it matters b/c we wouldn't make the free throws anyway.

The T on Pittman was total ********. The official looks like a pus for calling a technical when all he needed to do was warn pittman. The dildo gives an already volatile crowd even more emotion.

we haven't really played well in more than a month. we have been cold for more than a month. we have been satisfied to pass the ball around the perimeter until there are 2 seconds left on the clock and then fire up a prayer for more than a month.

we have been bad for more than a month. don't tell me anything about how we beat tech.

geez. abrams, atchley, augustin, have been less than average for more than a month.

I am concerned.

I don't know what the hell happened to this team. Can't shoot, can't shoot free throws, can't hit threes, ****** defense, no ball movement on offense, just crappy all around.

The charge on pittman was complete BS then Jordan does the same thing on the aggies end, using the forearm to create space and they call the foul on Defense.

That really was about the only good thing I got from this game.....that, and AJ did seem to find his stroke for a second...it disappeared, but I think it'll be back.

it just seems like we don't have any good offensive sets when the ol' screen for DJ, then pull up or DJ to the hole isn't working. Throw in Abrams 10 jacks a game and it can get ugly when nothing is falling.

Alot of dribbling and then DJ forces something, which I'm fine with since it's usually our best option. Then again, I don't think Barnes is know as an offensive minded coach. They looked awful most of the game but the way the offense was running those first 10 minutes or so, geez.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back