Takeaways From ou & Thoughts On GA

WorsterMan

10,000+ Posts
Some random thoughts:

First of all- A very SWEET vick-tree over the lowly land thieves!!!

Think the bye week was a factor in the slow start Sat.

Clearly Ewers had some level of rust. @dukesteer may be right about a lingering hand injury?

We've seen 6 games of championship level execution & pride from the Horns Defense.

Gunnar Helm & Wingo are weapons - hope we get the ball to them more.

Bolden is the best return man the Horns have had in a LONG time.

Horns struggle far too much in the Red Zone.

Georgia On My Mind:

DKR needs to be LOUD and hostile all game!!

Perhaps the most complete team the Horns will play regular season. But I'm convinced they can be beaten.

QB Beck is a monster with gaudy stats and skins on the wall.

Horns cannot start slow this Sat.

Horns D will be challanged for 4 quarters. Simmons, Sorrell, and edge guys must get pressure on Beck.

I think UT OL may be the key to a close victory. They must be physical and dominate.

What say you?

Last edited:
I am re-watching now. Surprised no one mentioned the very first play, it looked like Ewers was facemasked (is that a word?) right before the sack.

Second series, 3rd and 3, the incomplete pass. #7 seemed to stumble on his cut more than Ewers threw a bad ball.

Maybe Fowler and Herbie were rusty. They blamed ewers.

I am re-watching now. Surprised no one mentioned the very first play, it looked like Ewers was facemasked (is that a word?) right before the sack.

Second series, 3rd and 3, the incomplete pass. #7 seemed to stumble on his cut more than Ewers threw a bad ball.

You are correct on the stumble. It seems most announcers are just trained monkeys at the carnival. Expected more from Fowler/Herbie.

Some random thoughts:

Think the bye week was a factor in the slow start Sat.

Clearly Ewers had some level of rust. @dukesteer may be right about a lingering hand injury?

We've seen 6 games of championship level execution & pride from the Horns Defense.

Gunnar Helm & Wingo are weapons - hope we get the ball to them more.

Bolden is the best return man the Horns have had in a LONG time.

Horns struggle far too much in the Red Zone.

Georgia On My Mind:

DKR needs to be loud and hostile all game!!

Perhaps the most complete team the Horns will play regular season. But I'm convinced they can be beaten.

QB Beck is a monster with gaudy stats and skins on the wall.

Horns cannot start slow this Sat.

Horns D will be challanged for 4 quarters. Simmons, Sorrell, and edge guys must get pressure on Beck.

I think UT OL may be the key to a close victory. They must be physical and dominate.

What say you?
Excellent post. I am surprised ou didn't run the ball better but glad we laid a good whipping on them. Between binder boy and our social experiment we are upside down on this series for the last 15 years. Sark is now 2-1. To be fair, ou has a qb problem much like the 49-0 beat down. They do have a very legit defense. Cant believe how loose blue carries the ball. Helm is hidden gem. Much like I posted after michigan, he is a weapon that for some reason Arch doesn't use like Ewers. Glad we have him. We easily left 14 pts on the field with 2 missed shots by Ewers. I am hoping thats just rust and not some lingering injury! I was front row a few years back when caleb williams emerged and destroyed a great beatdown in progress. ou is not a top 25 team and glad they fell from the top 25. Feels good for them to eat crap!!! Wisner had a great game and we are very fortunate on the fumble in the endzone. In most years, Texas would not have fared as well so again it just feels good to win this one convincingly!!!

I haven’t watched a lot of Georgia this year but their defense doesn’t seem to be as dominant as I thought. If we give Ewers some time, I think he’ll pick their secondary apart. The key is the red zone. If we have to settle for FG’s instead of TD’s, that could come back to hurt us. I’m expecting a high scoring game but I hope our defense holds them to 24 or less. If so I think we win by at least a touchdown.

I haven’t watched a lot of Georgia this year but their defense doesn’t seem to be as dominant as I thought. If we give Ewers some time, I think he’ll pick their secondary apart. The key is the red zone. If we have to settle for FG’s instead of TD’s, that could come back to hurt us. I’m expecting a high scoring game but I hope our defense holds them to 24 or less. If so I think we win by at least a touchdown.
I don't expect a high-scoring game. Texas D has been dominant even in trash time. three touch downs in five games. If Longhorn offense scores often Texas will win.

Haha, I didn't notice yesterday when Holly Rowe was interviewing Quinn, she said go celebrate, the hat looks good on you. He said, "Thank you, Ms. Holly."

I like that. :hookem2:

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned or reported that I really enjoyed was on our first possession, when an Okie delivered a cheap shot on Quinn, #56 (??? not sure of number) went after him and delivered "a message". We haven't had that since Studdard, Sendlein, and Dave Thomas delivered messages to OU and Colorado. Nice to see the OL "protecting" our QB.

Last edited:
I haven't and won't read through the 500+ post on the in game thread; that said, two observations from someone who has seen more of these than probably anyone on this board:

1) I have NEVER heard "Boomer Sooner" out of the OU band fewer times than I did Saturday. I know I'm old, and the hearing is fading, but I have never left Fair Park without that ringing in my ears. But not yesterday.

2) SEC fancies itself the premier football league in college sports. This was their showcase game! What ship channel beer joint did they dredge those officials from. I have seen all the clowns that Walt Anderson paraded through the Big XII (for various reasons we won't discuss); I sat through how many Percy Penn games; Frenchy Domingues; that dentist from El Dorado, Ark that I tried to get Fred to blackball and he wouldn't. Bill Began and his Fantom Eric Dickerson call plus many more. The list could go on and on, BUT EARTH-SHATTERING NEWS! Yesterday for the first
time since high school, I actually said, "That umpire is worse than Marvin Durrenberger". That's the only thing Akers and DKR agreed on - the first of their three black balls was always used on Durrenberger. There were actually members of that crew worse than Jim Evans, the only official to be "balled" by every member of the SWC except Baylor (he was like a stepson to Baylor's Chancellor).

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. If we get the same **** next week, I'm asking CDC to let me offer the head of SEC officiating to Mike Defee to clean this crap up.

In the spirit of good sportsmanship, I would like to congratulate Oklahoma on the three points they scored yesterday. :hookem:
And I would like to congratulate blowU for being the first team to hold a lead over the Horns in 2024, however short lived that lead might have been. Agsy would claiming a win and a moral victory had it been them.

I haven't and won't read through the 500+ post on the in game thread; that said, two observations from someone who has seen more of these than probably anyone on this board:

1) I have NEVER heard "Boomer Sooner" out of the OU band fewer times than I did Saturday. I know I'm old, and the hearing is fading, but I have never left Fair Park without that ringing in my ears. But not yesterday.

2) SEC fancies itself the premier football league in college sports. This was their showcase game! What ship channel beer joint did they dredge those officials from. I have seen all the clowns that Walt Anderson paraded through the Big XII (for various reasons we won't discuss); I sat through how many Percy Penn games; Frenchy Domingues; that dentist from El Dorado, Ark that I tried to get Fred to blackball and he wouldn't. Bill Began and his Fantom Eric Dickerson call plus many more. The list could go on and on, BUT EARTH-SHATTERING NEWS! Yesterday for the first
time since high school, I actually said, "That umpire is worse than Marvin Durrenberger". That's the only thing Akers and DKR agreed on - the first of their three black balls was always used on Durrenberger. There were actually members of that crew worse than Jim Evans, the only official to be "balled" by every member of the SWC except Baylor (he was like a stepson to Baylor's Chancellor).

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. If we get the same **** next week, I'm asking CDC to let me offer the head of SEC officiating to Mike Defee to clean this crap up.
Agree on the refs. I sure didnt like the no calls on ou's last drive as there were blatant holding calls right in front of the ref. The announcers made the comment that the refs just wanted this game to end. That comment is just like the comment "let the boys play". Its a penalty regardless of the time of the game or situation. Would have loved those 2 touchdowns we left on the field in the first qtr but anytime you send the dirt burglars limping home is a good day. Its 10:03 am on 10-14-24 and ou still SUCKS!!!!

From Jake Majors:

“The good teams enjoy the win more than the great teams because the great teams move on, and that's what we want to be," Majors said. "We want to be great, so we're going to enjoy it for 24 hours and then we're going to get ready for next week."

Fowler and Herbie tend to take the low road with Texas. Don’t you think?

Glad you posted that. I was more than a little concerned that my elation over getting rid of B-12 crap was replaced by like officiating. Bad calls/ no calls and then purposely ignoring all holding at the end..
I expect better from the SEC!

There’s too many television sets involved to let the Longhorns dominate in the past, present or future.

1728949885218.png

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back