Southampton, England (The Mayflower)

Mr. Deez

Beer Prophet
So Deez, Jr. and I saw the Nutcracker in Southampton this weekend, and I noticed that the theater was called The Mayflower, so I looked to see what the connection was and remembered that the Mayflower originally sailed from Southampton with the Speedwell before having to return because Speedwell wasn't reliable enough to cross the ocean. (Obviously it later sailed from Plymouth without Speedwell.) I looked to see if there were any Mayflower sites and came across the Mayflower Pilgrim Memorial. It wasn't particularly elaborate, but it was cool to see where it started.

And then I went to a nearby brewery and had a really good beer. . .
Compress_20231202_231321_1072.jpg
Compress_20231202_231322_2731.jpg
Compress_20231202_231324_4886.jpg
Compress_20231202_231327_7704.jpg
Compress_20231202_231329_9935.jpg
Compress_20231202_231332_2554.jpg
Compress_20231202_231334_4738.jpg
Compress_20231202_231336_6683.jpg
Compress_20231202_232116_6094.jpg

I am surprised that the Brits actually commemorated the Mayflower and the Plymouth Colony.
I think you should repost it in the Something Interesting thread

I am surprised that the Brits actually commemorated the Mayflower and the Plymouth Colony.
I think you should repost it in the Something Interesting thread

I've noticed no anti-American Revolutionary sentiment in the UK in any form. I'm sure there was some early on, but it has been gone for a very long time. There's even a statue of George Washington in Trafalgar Square in London. They generally admire what we did.

THAT impresses me and surprises me and pleases me
This is such an interesting report. Please put it on Something interesting
OR I can alert people down to On the Road

THAT impresses me and surprises me and pleases me
This is such an interesting report. Please put it on Something interesting
OR I can alert people down to On the Road

Obviously there were great hostilities during the Revolution and the War of 1812, but my understanding is the the big shift started with the Monroe Doctrine. It shutdown new European colonisation of the Americas, which helped to protect some of the British Empire's possessions from France and Spain. In fact for a long time, the Royal Navy was the chief power enforcing the Doctrine since the US Navy wasn't yet powerful enough.

Also, though he's often portrayed as a big villain in American history, King George III wasn't pure evil. Obviously he was uncompromising on giving up the colonies, but what king of those days wouldn't have been? After the war, he recognized our independence and had great respect for George Washington. In fact he called him the "greatest man in the world" when he resigned his commission after the war rather than trying to become a dictator or king in the United States. He was obviously pissed about losing, but he wasn't an America-hater.

We had no conflicts with the British for decades after that. Then we sided with them in WWI and helped them defeat Germany, did it again in WWII, and then built a big global alliance to protect them and others from the Communists. They have good reason to like us.

Last edited:
Obviously there were great hostilities during the Revolution and the War of 1812, but my understanding is the the big shift started with the Monroe Doctrine. It shutdown new European colonisation of the Americas, which helped to protect some of the British Empire's possessions from France and Spain. In fact for a long time, the Royal Navy was the chief power enforcing the Doctrine since the US Navy wasn't yet powerful enough.

Also, though he's often portrayed as a big villain in American history, King George III wasn't pure evil. Obviously he was uncompromising on giving up the colonies, but what king of those days wouldn't have been? After the war, he recognized our independence and had great respect for George Washington. In fact he called him the "greatest man in the world" when he resigned his commission after the war rather than trying to become a dictator or king in the United States. He was obviously pissed about losing, but he wasn't an America-hater.

We had no conflicts with the British for decades after that. Then we sided with them in WWI and helped them defeat Germany, did it again in WWII, and then built a big global alliance to protect them and others from the Communists. They have good reason to like us.
I believe most of the blame goes to parliament for losing the colonies. They even set out to embarrass Ben Franklin when he was in London to find some sort of settlement. Big mistake.

Recent Threads

Back