Scam Alert

utahorn

500+ Posts
I got a call today from Spectrum asking about my service. They noted they had outages over the summer and wanted to offer a discount.

I had asked for a discount and was intrigued.

The deal offered was half off our bill for three years. RED FLAG. Too good to be true.

I was then passed to another rep who directed me to go to Target and get pre-paid cards for $900.00 to cover the initial cost. After that half-off for three years. BIG RED FLAG.

I hung up.

It gets better/worse.

They still took the $900.00 out of my account without my authorization or giving them my account information.

My bank has cancelled the authorization but it will take a week to get another debit card.

Spectrum is aware of the issue but has yet to notify its customers.

Shameless.

Now considering other providers.

In short, how did the scammers know about the outages, my request for a discount, and mostly my bank information?

I still cannot get that information from Spectrum.

They still took the $900.00 out of my account without my authorization or giving them my account information.
It sounded like a typical amateur-ish “phishing” scam (pre-paid cards) until this part.
In short, how did the scammers know about the outages, my request for a discount, and mostly my bank information?

I still cannot get that information from Spectrum.
Sounds like Spectrum’s billing system has been hacked/compromised, maybe a rogue employee. They definitely need to answer to you on how the charge was authorized.

Found a couple recent articles related to this.

https://www.whec.com/top-news/consu...pectrum-customers-heres-what-to-look-out-for/

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/spectrum-50-off-scam-call/

From the second link provided by Dion:

Red Flags of the Spectrum Discount Scam
The Spectrum 50% off calls contain many suspicious giveaways:

• You receive an unsolicited call out of the blue rather than seeking out the deal yourself.
That happened.
  • The tremendous 50% savings for an extended period seems too good to be true…because it is!
True and made me suspicious.
  • Spectrum does not engage in telemarketing or make unsolicited sales calls.
  • They address you as a current Spectrum customer but do not cite your account specifics.
True
  • You cannot reciprocate and directly call back the number that called you.
  • There is pressure to “act now” and provide personal/financial information immediately to secure the discount.
  • The representative dodges questions about their identity, physical address, credentials, etc.
  • Asking for payment via difficult-to-recover methods like wire transfers, gift cards, cryptocurrency, etc.
As stated above, I did not authorize the charge, but it remains pending on my account. The bank cannot/will not do anything until the charge goes through.

True - pre-paid cards which I did not purchase.
  • Using threats or high-pressure tactics to stop you from seeking advice from friends, family, or even directly calling Spectrum to verify the deal.
This is frustrating as I used to lecture on this very topic. I felt secure in the knowledge that I had not shared my financial information. I agree with Dion that this was probably an inside job from Spectrum. One of their reps told me they are aware of this scam. Apparently, they are doing nothing to notify customers as I have received no notices from Spectrum.

EDIT from my first post: My bank has cancelled the authorization, but it will take a week to get another debit card.

The authorization has not been cancelled; it remains pending from the scammers to make the charge. From now on, they are known as thieves not scammers.

Last edited:
Related to Spectrum 's incompetence.
There is Still a cord running from one green AT&T box at one end of my property near alley all across my property across my driveway to other end of my property near street, connecting to another green box marked AT&T.
After trying to get AT&T to corrrect the problem with no success and tripping over the cord plus hassling the lawn mower over it, on an early morning run I flagged down a guy in an AT&T Truck. He actually came to look.
He explained that AT&T sold those boxes and connections to Spectrum. Spectrum seemed particularly lax in handling their own equipment.
The AT&T guy agreed it was an "urgent hazard". Whoever he called got Spectrum to send a guy right out. The Spectrum guy said cord was live and urgent to correct.Ha
That was Oct 21. Since then Spectrum has promised and promised, lost ticket orders and promised again and again.
If I knew what "live " meant and knew I wouldn't be electrocuted I'd cut the damn cord.
Everyone I know who has Spectrum hates them
I do too

Last edited:

How about a 12 gauge? Back away and pump a few rounds into the line at both end until it's severed. Wrap it up, take it to Spectrum office, take one step in the door, throw the line on the floor and leave.

Get you a Spectrum shirt and teach Major to hate that shirt. Sit back and watch the fun when the repair truck shows up. If they complain, tell them you have sent in a "work order".

Sabre
:coolnana:
The problem is they will never show up.
There is a reason they are offering all those discounts. Incompetence.

Recent Threads

Back