rob lanier, is now singing merry ole rocky top... could john lucas II end up at TEXAS?

meadowlark

100+ Posts
image15.jpg

anything can happen right?
rob lanier, is now learning / singing the merry ole verses of tennessee's much vaunted rocky top.
the name john lucas II, is akin to basketball royalty throughout the great state of texas.
can you just imagine the recruitment powerhouse, that TEXAS would undoubtably become, with the likes of smart / lucas?
why not......​

I thought about this the other day, I know that he has turned down asst coaching positions in the past but I think the opportunity to work with his son (presumably staying on as special asst, or maybe even moving up to DOBO) would be intriguing to him.

Ogden and Lanier staying with Rick sits just fine with me. The other UT should enjoy the same consistently-average-to-inconsistently-slightly-above average output from the coaching staff.

I'm drooling over the thought of Lucas II as an assistant. But it's not likely. A consolation prize would be a Jai promotion. I'm sure Jai has dads ear over Thanksgiving turkey year in year out. A direct pipeline to Lucas Enterprises and all of the kids he develops would be a coup for The University of Texas.

why would Shaka and Texas want Lucas on the coaching staff?

Basketball royalty? I don't get it. Someone please enlighten me on the positive effects of his basketball knowledge in terms of championships, etc.

"Lucas is a tremendous resource for basketball training and development; Lucas, via John Lucas Enterprises, is the point man responsible for securing the country's elite high school basketball talent year in year out".

"Lucas is a tremendous resource for basketball training and development; Lucas, via John Lucas Enterprises, is the point man responsible for securing the country's elite high school basketball talent year in year out".

Could someone document some results of Lucas Enterprises? How has Texas benefited for example?

Anyway, I heard Shaka has his 3 assistants now, so it doesn't matter other than the graduate assistant positions and the other program support positions.

Is Todd Wright gone?

Could someone document some results of Lucas Enterprises? How has Texas benefited for example?

I doubt there is any proof Lucas has had any direct correlative affect on Texas recruiting commitments. Lucas has trained players in high school that ended up playing at Texas. But that's about it. It seems to me it would be a conflict of interest for him to align himself with one school like Texas, considering that many of the major D1 programs use (pay) him for scouting/recruitment intel and player training and development analytics.

Last edited:
Will one of you experts please explain the appeal of the 3 announced assistants, one of whom had a losing record at So Caro and recently has been an ESPN announcer?
Connections to Texas?

Will one of you experts please explain the appeal of the 3 announced assistants, one of whom had a losing record at So Caro and recently has been an ESPN announcer?
Connections to Texas?
You do know that a lot of quality assistants were head coaches that flamed out including Lanier. As far as connections to Texas, Smart and his staff have recruited Texas before. They just recruited a kid from san antonio to VCU that Barnes and his staff at Texas also recruited, so there are connections. The s&c coach is not a worry for me, Smarts teams were in great shape, and have to be in great shape because of his style of play. He'll hire the right s&c coach for him.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-OU *
Sat, Oct 12 • 2:30 PM on ABC

Back