Remember Fred Akers?

XOVER

500+ Posts
Well, that's what we've got this year -- a Fred Akers offense.

The Texas O is completely incompetent and inept.

I sure hope these boys find a way to gel so that hopefully we can beat the likes of aggy, Baylor, KSU and OSU.

KU's gone. Big loss next week.

How many more losses will our offense give us this year?

Texas had enough offense to win today, they made too many mistakes. Texas offense scored 16 on OU last year and 13 on Nebraska. Texas needs to play strong on defense and special teams and OK on offense to win any game the rest of the year.

Very good defensive coach, came within 1 point of Championship but lost 10 to 9 to Georgia. Sorry but I liked Fred Akers and I like great defense.

There is nothing about this team that resembles Akers circa 1985-86. That was some of the worst football I have ever seen.
You guys need to chill.

Warrior, you're right about some great D, but in the end he had his own version of gd incompetence, namely third and long, fullback up the middle, over and over again till you just wanted things to go so bad it waould warrant a change

I remmember that he beat OU with inferior teams more than once. Anyone here really think that OU was only the better team 4 times in that10 years?

now, seriously, Akers would've won the National championship in 1983 except for one serious flaw in Edwin Simmons' heredity.

One of his legs was shorter than the other, a whole lot.

Anybody remember those runs by Simmons against OU in 1983?
Pure energy, pure up the middle straight down your throat, kick you in the teeth, we're gonna drill you.

After Edwin got injured, the offense struggled mightily, even though we had a couple of playmakers.

Bottom line, we didn't have a RB who could hit the hole like Edwin, and that's all we needed against Georgia. One touchdown would have been enough.

That and we needed Jeff Ward to make more than 3 out of 5 field goal attempts.

Always like Fred Akers, was (still is) a real class act. His '83 D would make Muschamp blush. With a D that good, you didn't need a great O..... our current D is not at that level, especially when they stand around with their collective thumbs up their collective asses.

"Always like Fred Akers, was (still is) a real class act."

i never saw a freddy team that didn't start an onfield brawl with cheap shots, late hits,...

i think the best example of his "classiness" came when his team came off the plane in lubbock. the saddle tramps used to have a tradition of rolling out a red carpet when the opposing team deplaned. our guys refused to walk on the carpet and many (most?) spit tobacco juice on the carpet as they came off the plane.

The Link

yeah...real classy dude.

Texas did not have enough offense to win today. Texas has the pathetic, embarassing offense that it has been forced to live with now for a decade under an incompetent offensive coordinator. If Texas had had enough offense to win, they would have won. The play-calling, lack of offensive line aggressiveness, staying on blocks until the whistle, the throwing screens and screens and more screens because this coordinator and his coaches cannot coach fundamentals to the offensive line is long past old. This offense has always been back on its heals, reacting, never dictating the tempo of the game. And it has always, always been Greg Davis. The time has come and gone a long time ago for a new offensive coordinator. If Mack wants to take the arrows for Davis, then it is time to move Mack on from here.

"That and we needed Jeff Ward to make more than 3 out of 5 field goal attempts" _____________________________ That and not fumble a punt in the last couple of minutes. Hey, maybe this team does resemble that one a little...

oh yeah, I thought about that dropped punt when Williams dropped this one yesterday.

What I was talking about was that all we needed to make the last 2:00 of that Cotton Bowl irrelevant was for Ward to make more than 3 out of 5 field goals or to score a TD.

Actually the entire last quarter would have been irrelevant. That '83 D wasn't going to give up a drive of any length. We had to hand the ball to the 'dawgs in the red zone for them to have a chance, and we did.

Georgia only had a little over 100 yards of offense before that muffed punt, and almost half of that came on one non-scoring pass play. I was sitting next to some Georgia fans, and for 58 minutes, all they talked about was how they were getting their asses handed to them by our D.

Akers was a true ******* and an incomepetent coach who won because Royal left him with a full stable and at the time, Tx had a huge advantage because there were not the scholarship limits you have today. He may have humbled himself after his experience at purdue and the fact that nobody would hire him but he is an *******. He used to go into restaurrants and demand free food and free clothes at this store on the drag.

Fred may have been overmatched, but ******* is a bit much. He did work in a a time that saw some of the worst cheaters in the history of sports coaching in the SWC.

Speaking of which, he beat Switzer regularly early on, but went 1-3-1 over the final 5. I saw all 5 of those in person and believe me that tie was much worse than kissing your sister. Overall, he went 5-4-1 against ou.

He won over 75% of his SWC games, which left him as 2nd winningest all-time. He had four top-10 finishes -- 1977, 1978, 1981 and 1983 -- win the bowl games, and he would have had two MNCs.

His last few years were absolutely brutal. He was oh-fer against ou and aggy the last 3 years with that 1984 Freedom Bowl as something of a monument in frustration.

ann_campbell_akers_400.jpg

Fred was a great coach. As Barry said at his memorial service, the only coach that beat Barry more times than he lost to him.

Our University treated him like **** and was so classless before and after his firing.

Dave, can you imagine sitting in a Blue Chips home with his family when a BMD calls and tells them (on speaker) to not let their son go to Texas because "we" are going fire Akers and you don't know who your son's coach will be.

Fred wasn't perfect, but he was a damn good coach, loyal to Texas until his passing, and deserved better treatment than he was given. Even Deloss acknowledged that, but his hands were tied. Again, it was disgraceful the way he was treated.

I think that one thing that hurt Fred Akers was his personality. He was not a bad guy at all, in fact he was a good guy. He just didn't have DKR's down home good ol' boy persona. He also did not have Mack's glad handing, remember everybody's name and their kids' names persona.

Coach Akers was invited to attend a scholarship fundraiser of our local UT Ex Students Assoc once upon a time. You could tell that he was about as comfortable as a hooker in church. In was February right after signing day and he gave us a great rundown on the recruits he just signed. Where they were from, what their strengths were and why he recruited them. He didn't use any notes and spoke very well. Obviously a very intelligent man, but it seemed that he was somewhat of an introvert. Probably didn't resonate well with BMD's who crave attention and access.

I remember several interviews with Akers. Was he a coach in a minor pro league or something? For some reason I think there was an interview out of somewhere in Lousiana.
He always spoke of Texas with great respect. I am sorry he was treated so badly.

He always spoke of Texas with great respect. I am sorry he was treated so badly.

I met Fred when his grandson (Danny's son) and my son were playing Pop Warner football together. Danny was dating a woman I worked with at the time and she introduced us and invited me to sit with them at games. Fred spoke well of Texas and would not say anything bad about us. Danny, on the other hand, was still mad about it and said so.

Fred was a great coach. As Barry said at his memorial service, the only coach that beat Barry more times than he lost to him.

Our University treated him like **** and was so classless before and after his firing.

It seems he was treated like **** even after his passing if Barry was allowed to speak at his memorial. Did they invite Jackie Sherrill too?

Fred would have retired with a record approaching DKR's if it weren't for the blatant cheating during that era at OU, aggy, SMU, Houston, TCU, etc...

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back