realtor fees

Murphy'sBoy

1,000+ Posts
I am going to sell my home and am wondering what to expect to pay a realtor in commission? Home is worth $235,000 or so.

Standard commission is 6% of the sales price, but the commission can actually be any amount negotiated between the seller and the listing broker. The commission is usually split 50/50 between the listing broker and the broker who finds the buyer, but the split can vary as well depending on what the parties involved agree to.

You can probably find 4%. It might take some looking into the more independent agents.
Any chance you can just sell it yourself? The title company will do all the paperwork in most cases.

With the evolution of the internet 6% Realtor fees are a joke or at least in my opinion. Back in the day Realtor had to pull a lot of listings for clients but now they are all on the Internet for the buyer see. Yes there maybe one or two out there that are not but in this market if the house is not on the Internet you better get another selling agent. We tried selling our house last year and I wanted it stated that I would only bay 2% to the buyers agent. My agent stated that other realtors might not show my house because of that. Well that's why there are pictures on the internet so the buyer can request to see my house. The buying agent can have 2% of my house that a client wants or 2% of nothing, its their choice.

Next time I am selling the house "By Owner". Again the Internet is your friend. Just do all the research so a prospective buyer will fell comfortable with the process. In the end it saves everyone money or makes you more money.

I didn't see this thread until after I started an FSBO thread here on Horn Depot. I just don't know that Realtor value on the transaction is commensurate with their asking fees. If I were to use one again (my first Realtor was nearly worthless) the first thing I would ask them is to try to quantify for me their value relative to their fee.

6% on a $235,000 home is $14k ... that's a lot to justify.

If you're in Ausin, I know my realtor will work out a deal with you... especially if you're buying another home.

[email protected] or 832.512.5766

If you're in Houston, call Jon and he will refer you to his family. His entire family is in real estate... good family and know their stuff.

Tell him Nate had you call.

He/she is going to split that 14K with the other realtor unless he/she brings in the buyer as well.

You can negotiate to any rate the realtor would accept. From 0 to 6%. You could always say cut your fee to 3% total on the sales side and use the same realtor to buy a house as well. That way he/she makes $$$ on two deals, and you're getting a good deal.

You could always try and sell it yourself, though that might be a lot of work.

I always negotiate this and have gone to as low as 1%. See how much time/effort is involved in your specific deal and sit down and come to a fair deal. 3% to seller agent 3% to buyers. 6% if they represent both. Start at 3% and work your way down.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back