PSA - non football We lost another Longhorn Legend

SabreHorn

10,000+ Posts
Former great Longhorn baseball great and an outstanding coach at SanJac and Rice Wayne Graham passed last night. FIVE Nattys at SanJac and one at Rice.

I'll never forget him sitting in his folding chair out in front of Rice dugout yelling at his team, "Why should they swing when a walk is as good as a triple". One helluva coach.

Lance Berkman, former Astro who played at Rice for Coach Graham hilariously tells a story about Coach.
He was playing left field on a very windy day and the wind was swirling in the left field corner in a very bad way. Hot dog wrappers and napkins were collecting in the corner and forming a trash cyclone. A ball was hit to the corner and Lance chased it and when he picked it up, he grabbed a wrapper along with the ball. He had to get rid of the paper to make the throw. Once he did that, when he threw the ball, it hit another wrapper in the air and the ball landed about halfway to the infield. All this time, Coach Graham was running up the baseline screaming at Lance that he was worst outfielder he had seen.

My favorite memory of Wayne Graham was when Rice played Texas in the 2002 CWS. Graham, I guess in his mid-60s at the time, was in the 3rd base coach's box with Rice behind 2-1 and threatening with men on 1st & 2nd. A ground ball was hit to Quintanilla at 3rd and ricocheted into foul territory. Graham hit the deck and Quintanilla threw the runner out at the plate to end the inning. Texas and Rice had a nice little rivalry going for a while. If you'd like to see it, it's at about 20:50 in this link.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back