Preparing for the Beijing Olympics

That's a really interesting article in a lot of ways. I'm most interested in how much China can clamp down on cars, etc.. with their strict government to lessen air pollution over a certain area for a short period of time. And if the US and other teams using pre-event masks could have an advantage. Political and other angles as well here..

A couple of notes on what the Chinese government is doing to get ready for the Olympics:

-Coal burning for heating purposes has been stopped. The government installed electric heaters in everyones home/houton to help reduce pollution. It kind of sucks though because the regular people can't afford the electric heating bill so they just do without.

-Currently public transportation is half price of what it normally is. Half price subway tickets and bus tickets. I'm sure this will last until right before the Olympics.

-For people with cars they're going to alternate days when you're allowed to drive depending on if your license plate ends with an even or odd number (side note: they tried this in Sao Paolo and it backfired, people just bought a second car and so they double the amount of automobiles. I don't think the chines can afford 2 cars though)

-Every factory in or around Beijing will be getting a 3 month paid vacation starting before the Olympics. All of these factories will be shutting down in order to reduce pollution.

This is Beijing's one shot at putting on a show for the world, I actually think the pollution will be fine but it's going to come back with a vengence after the show is over.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back