Passport Advice ...

Barton Hills

1,000+ Posts
So I need a passport for a trip I go on at the end of March. I went to the Post Office last Friday to get it, they quote me 6-8 weeks for standard delivery. Six is supposedly normal, but with Spring Break coming up they are padding the delivery date.

The trip I'm going on was 8 weeks and 1 day from last Friday. The dude behind the counter thinks I'll be fine, so I pay the $97 instead of forking over $200 for expedited.

Well I find out yesterday that a friend of my wife applied for a passport about 9 weeks ago and still hasn't gotten it. WTF ???

What should I do now ? I'm going to run over to the USPS site, but any firsthand knowledge about my options at this point ? Can I still request expedited service, is it too late ... should I even bother ?

What do you guys think ?

When I was on a tight deadline, I paid the expedited fee. I can't imagine it would hurt to call the passport office and find out what you can do to expedite the processing. It's worth paying an extra few bucks than sweatin' it.

does Austin not have an official passport office? I needed mine ASAP for a trip to Africa and I went to the State Department here in NYC and paid $50 to wait in line for same day service. I rule

I think there's only a State Dept office in Houston and Dallas. I know there's one in Houston as that's where I went in person to get additional pages added to my passport a few years ago. I think they have a toll-charge # that you can call and talk to someone about your application, but you'll have to look up the Houston State Dept office for their #.

i just did the regular service for my renewal, and it took exactly 6 weeks. but i hear what you say about spring break, plus the new rules that just took effect on 1/23, i bet they are busy.

Go back to the USPS and pay the fee to expedite the application. Go in person, do not try to do this over the phone.

This f'n sucks.

This is for a Bachelor Party.

Already paying out the nose for a flight to the Bahamas ... now another $105 on top of the $97 I spent on a passport already.

Not to mention all the other jack I'll be spending while down there.

When I expedited mine earlier this month, I paid $158 and that included the cost of overnighting it both ways. Well worth the extra cost. I got mine back in under a week.

You may be paying for the passport but it's a good document to have - I'm still amazed at the number of people who would rather (in the past tense) travel with a folded up copy of a birth certificate than a passport.

Recent Threads

Back