Orange/White Game - 10/24/24

Zig72

500+ Posts
After a long off-season, it’s only natural for fans to be overly optimistic when the team finally returns to the court. As much as I try to be objective, I am not immune to this bias. So, treat these comments as random first impressions prior to the Orange/White scrimmage.

Rori: considering the extensive investment of her time and energy with the rehab, I was concerned that it would take time for Rori to regain her shooting touch and her special ability to create space while penetrating (the skills she perfected prior to last season). From what I can see, Rori already looks “all the way back” to my pleasant surprise. I'm wondering if most of her previous work carried over from muscle memory or if she just spent a hell of a lot more time in the gym. Probably some of both.

Madi: what about that Sophomore Jinx thingy, you know, the great freshman season followed by a less impressive second year? Not to worry -- Madi looks and plays even faster, with even more confidence at her natural position. With other scoring options that will limit the opponent keying solely on her, we could be seeing a 20-point/game player; highly unusual on a Vic Schaefer team.

Amo: very strong young lady who will be posting consistent double-doubles while probably leading the team taking charges.

Taylor: more slippery and clever with more confident moves. Looks like a pain-free, highly-accurate-around-the-rim version of Taylor.

Shay: same old confidence building presence and all-around skillset.

Laila: solid body type, won’t get pushed around, possible starter by December. Playing with glasses, so easy to identify on the court.

Jak: time will tell, but she’s adapting well to her more natural forward position. Could earn meaningful minutes spelling Taylor or Amo.

Jordana: knees? What knees? Flying around the court with a nice jump shot.

Before discussing the freshmen, keep in mind that Texas has a deep, veteran roster with little opportunity for freshmen to have anything like Madi’s Cheryl Miller performance in their first year.

Bryanna: as quick as advertised; penetrates with a nice pull-up jumper on the weave. Still learning Vic-level defense of course, and does not have “Rori range”. Plenty of time to develop both with 2 years together.

Justice/Jordan: I’m uncertain if they will contribute more from the paint or from distance, but both have game. Body-wise, Jordan is almost a mirror image of Laila. Justice is adapting well to the fast pace.

We should learn more at the Welcome Back dinner this evening.

Last edited:
Still no mention of Abbie anywhere? She's a regular visitor to home volleyball matches so she's still in school.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-VANDERBILT *
Sat, Oct 26 • 3:15 PM on SECN

Recent Threads

Back