Opinions on a Consulting Idea?

Music City Horn

< 25 Posts
Fellow Hornfans,

Here’s a long, and quite broad, inquiry for you:

I have to preface this by pointing out that I’m an academic by training…a PhD and publications in history, college-level teaching and administrative experience (plus a short stint in sales admin and marketing right out of college).

I’ve been in academia now for ~15 years (counting grad school and close to ten years of being on a college faculty). What I’m wondering is whether there might be some opportunities to translate some of my expertise into consulting in the non-academic world. Here’s a very brief summation:

As part of my teaching, I’ve developed a lot of experience in adapting a teaching method called Problem-Based Learning into college curricula and even into some faculty development workshops. PBL, as it’s called, started out in medical schools and has started spreading out into other areas of academe.

There’s a vast literature out there on PBL (we're academics, after all). Essentially, it is a process that offers a clear method to assist a group of people define essential problems, craft clear and testable hypotheses or solutions, and develop clear communication and shared-task plans. There’s an entire cottage industry of people who offer courses/seminars in PBL to other teachers—at all levels.

What I’m wondering is whether any of you could imagine an application of this for management/employee consulting. I know that most consulting is much more focused by industry. In some ways, I suppose this is something along the lines of consulting/employee/business culture development.

I’m going to start doing some research into all of this. But I’m curious if any of you have come across, or have had any experience with, this type of consulting work.

Again, I know...pretty broad. But any thoughts would be appreciated!

hookem.gif

There are some lucrative opportunities in business to improve efficiency, especially with large corporations if you can get in the door. Is it anything like Kaizen Institute?

If your academic pedigree can translate into sales opportunities you need probably do nothing more than put together a professional looking presentation that you can sell. If it's a cottage industry now that would seem to be a good possibility for an expanding industry.... which is good to be in early in most instances.

There's plenty of moeny in corporate training. Your best bet is to develop your knowledge into a turn-key course that can be taught by others. Then you bring the course to established companies that provide training programs to Fortune 1000 companies. You can train the trainers. They can teach the classes. They already have salespeople selling their courses. Your couse is another product for them to sell. You get a royalty on every student that passes through the course.

The last thing you want to be doing is be on the street selling a single course. You want to sell this course to an training organization and leverage their platform to reach the widest possible audience.

Bernard

Thanks for the advice. I've started doing some research and plan to take some time to map out a strategy. I found a few organizations that serve as something of a "trainer's bureau," that publicizes courses and helps to locate clients. But I'm much more intrigued by Bernard's suggestion of selling my course design rather than becoming some sort of itinerant trainer.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back