Need a job.

origino

250+ Posts
Looking to move back to Texas soon. I have been working at a church but I am looking to make a change. I am in need of something immediately. It sucks because I have not finished school and i am 29 yrs old with a wife and kid. Any ideas? Help? Dallas/Tyler/Austin are best areas that we would want.

I'm not in the Dallas area, but it would be helpful for others if you'd list your experience and what it is that you're looking for.

Well, most of my "professional work" has been in church ministry. I was a worship leader/youth director for over 5 years. I have not finished school, but I am looking for something that I can do while finishing school and something that can help me provide for my family. I lost my last job at a church, so that is why its so urgent. I have applied for: bank teller, Apple sales, tv stations (my major), ATT wireless, stuff like that.

Its a humbling experience, but any help or suggestions would be great. I can send my resume to anyone who might want it.

if you have been a UT student, try hirealonghorn.org . Absolute gold mine for jobs on many dif levels.

Its difficult to secure work in many areas from a distance. I take it you are not currently in Texas. If that's the case, you might want to bite the bullet and make the move. There's plenty of work down here, but you have to make yourself available.

Bluto

I think that hirealonghorn.org is only for current enrolled UT students and not for former graduates. Is there a longhorn network out there for graduated alumni?

vy, i graduated back in may and still cruise that site for the hell of it, just to see whats out there.

Well when i clicked on the link you had to have a UT EID and password to log in, which only current enrolled students would have. Maybe there is a different area on there for alumni i am missing.

Big region to look for a job?

If you are reasonably mechanically oriented, there is money to be made working contract maintenance in the Petrochemical industry. Its not glamorous, but something as basic as being a 'helper' or 'hole watch' can generate $15 to $20 an hour depending on the gig. Sometimes per diem. People who show some snap can quickly (a year or two) get into a 'foreman' position at abour $25 to $30 per hour. Right now, there is lots of OT.
Also, you won't hurt anyone's feelings if you pull up and leave shortly after starting. Its a high turnover business. Seriously, there are bunches(but not all) of people briging very few skills through the door. It is an OTJ training industry(a good chunk anyways).

Honestly, a good chance you might hate it.....

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back