McCain wins SC - Edges Past Huckabee

I can't help but think that McCain is the Republicans best bet against HRC. He's middle enough to steal votes from the Democrats, and war-hero enough to carry the right. And, he is distanced enough from Bush not to be tainted.

"Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz.) kissed his 95-year-old mother, Roberta, as he arrived at a polling station in Charleston, S.C., Saturday.

I saw this photo and thought she might not live to see him become president (assuming he wins). Did a quick search and found this video of her on Meet The Press. I was impressed.by how sharp she was for a 95-year-old.

Hard to make the link work directly. Scroll down to last video:
The Link

McCain's got something really F'ed up with his left cheek. It's like a lump, a cyst, a tumor, some tabacky... You can see it in most photos. Occasionally it's not very apparent, and then there are pictures like the one above.

I am a McCain fan and this is a big win for him, but a closer look at the numbers reveal some problems with his win.

First off, overall voter turnout was down from 2000, and McCain received fewer votes and a smaller percentage of the votes than he did in 2000. The weather could explain the lower overall voter turnout, but the weather was not bad in the regions where support for McCain is high, so it would have hurt Huckabee more than McCain.

Also, Thompson adds a strange dimension to the race. He attacked Huckabee in the debate and was campaigning is Huckabee territory. Thompson is an establishment candidate that appeals to evangelicals and conservatives, so I think his supporters will go to Romney and Huckabee if he drops out. The strange thing is--is that Thompson is friends with McCain and endorsed him in 2000, so Thompson most likely supports a different candidate than his supporters.

So, I do not know if McCain is expanding his base of supporters from 2000, because still two-thirds of voters is SC did not vote for him. So, if Thompson gets out, this does not help McCain. The more candidates in the field, the better for McCain, but I doubt McCain is the second chance for most of the people that are supporting other candidates. Now, he might be Giuliani supporters second choice, but we do not know how Giuliani will play out, because he has not been a factor in the primaries so far.

Also, it will be important to watch the establishment this week. If they come out against McCain big time this week, this is a very bad sign for him. Also, if they abandon Thompson and consolidate behind Romney, then they are trying to put a stop to McCain's campaign.

zzzz- Linking to the audience applause at the national convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars in Kansas City is hardly a generalizable sample. Given the date of Aug/07, I can see that even those who might have grave doubts about the Iraq war were displaying optimism with the surge. The day following Hillary and John, Obama said this to the same audience:
In reply to:

wtf.gif

I laughed at you,
zzz.gif
, for citing the applause of veterans as evidence that lingering in Iraq is popular.

You're right, though. I would totally pwn those g33z3rs at Civ. Julius Caesar FTW.

"as evidence that lingering in Iraq is popular. "

I quoted that passage to show the contrast between the two messages. And that the familiar refrain that the best way to honor vets was to bring them home fell flat among vets.

In reply to:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back