Just 1 commit for next year?

KD35

< 25 Posts
Who else are we looking at? Assuming we lose DJ & James, and the walkon dude and the white kid, why are we only bringing in just one dude?

I hope we dont go the juco route again.

BTW, any chance AJ leaves? He's pretty good this year.

where do we start with this post?
AJ won't be going anywhere with the way he has been shooting. James is playing well but should be around at least through next season. There is a good chance DJ is gone though. Which white kid are we losing? I assume you are talking about Lewis? We still have the vast majority of the team coming back. We will potentially be without dj,mooney and lewis. How many dudes should we be bringing in? Should we focus on white kids or just dudes?

I would be absolutely shocked if either DJ Augustin or Damion James is back on the 40 acres next season.

If we lose both of them + JD Lewis, that leaves us with 10 scholarship players. If Jcovan Brown makes it on campus, thats 11. If he doesn't, thats 10 (assuming no other attrition). I would guess Barnes wants more than 10 scholarship players on campus so if Jcovan doesn't make it here, JUCO is a possibility probably.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Barnes is trying to keep as many spots open for 09 as possible, with the enormous number of studs in that class that are interested in UT.

To answer the first question....

We are looking at 4 recruits that I know of....

1) 6-5 Tyreke Evans: Top 3 National Prospect who is the nation's #1 SG/PG. Badass player who's already visited. Between us, Memphis, and Louisville (?)

2) 6-7 WF Wesley Witherspoon. Athletic, do it all wing who needs work on his 3 point shot. Will visit soon.

3) 6-7 WF Jeff Taylor. Athletic freak who can do it all but needs work on 3 point shot. Visited last fall. We are sitll in it with 3-4 other schools

4) 6-2 PG Tyrone Appleton: Juco PG badass who Kansas just offered. Great defensive player, bigtime scrapper and all around scorer/playmaker. May visit in a few weeks.

James probably has a better a shot than PJ, not so sure about the ball handling though. What is more important though (at least to NBA), is that he is taller. James has been mentioned a lot more lately in discussions of some of the top players in the big 12. The more hype the greater chance he leaves imo. I of course want him to do well but I also want him around next year.
hookem.gif

Damion James has much more potential as an NBA player because of his ability to guard/play different positions at the NBA level. He also has a much better shot which allows him to play the small forward spot in the league which is a very popular and needed spot for many teams that are trying to play "small ball". I think PJ may have been a better college player because of his nose for the ball and ability to finish in traffic and at the rim, but the NBA is all about potential. James has a lot of upside and will not be on the 40 acres next year.

I love AJ to death, but he's not an NBA player. He's not big enough and can't handle the ball against physical, bigger, stronger defenders which is all he will see at the next level. Who can he defend in the NBA? He definately can play oversees.

okay, putting aside the "is damion ready for the nba question", the fact that we only have one player (brown) committed is a bit concerning to me. add to that the fact that brown has some question marks surrounding him (no signed letter of intent, high school suspension, etc), it is possible that the horns will have to go the juco route this year. i'm not holding out for tyreke evans.

programs who are of the stature that UT currently has don't usually find themselves having an incoming class made up of juco players. if j'covan brown doesn't pan out, barnes has to sign appleton out of juco. I can't imagine having the PG position manned by abrams and/or mason next year. yeah, i know balbay should be healthy, but i have no idea what we'd be getting from him and the indications of a first year player, who just sat for a year due to injuries, starting are not good.

Balbay will be a good point guard. Whether a first year player or not. He won't be huge on the stat sheet but he won't turn the ball over very often. He will be a good shooter and a solid ball handler. He will do well managing the game. And I would be fine with us going Juco this year because we need scholarships for next year. Next year could be our next class like the Durant class and the Aldrige, Gibson class. We have a lot of great players looking at us next year and Barnes is a great recruiter. If DJ and Damion both leave next year than we still will have a good team. Maybe not a team set for a deep tourney run but a team that can win games. Balbay, Abrams, Atchley, Mason, Pittman, Wangmene, Chapman, and Harrison may get his shot and they could win some games. I think that one of DJ and Damion comes back though because no one is talkin about Damion in terms of the NBA yet.

Over the past 10 years, the NBA has reached further and further into the college and high school ranks. Today, the NBA drafts on potential, not readiness.

That's the reality. And, so is the reality that DJ and Damian are gone after this season. Enjoy them while they are here.

Have people forgotten the time PJ drove the length of the court in like 5 seconds to make a game winning layup?

James could do that too if he needed too, he just happens to have probably the best dribbler in the NCAA right now on his team, whereas PJ had Daniel Gibson/Kenton Paulino running the point. Good players, but neither was incredible with the ball in their hands.

PJ measured around 6'4 1/4" at a pre-draft camp IIRC. Damion James will probably measure 6'6.5", maybe taller. Also, As far as vertical jump is concerned, I'd say Damion James has a HUGE advantage there. He can fly.

First of all, Damion isn't even in the same universe as PJ when it comes to ball handling. Damion's biggest weakness is his hands and his lack of confidence handling the ball. That will be the big knock on him when draft day rolls around. That being said, he is a definite first rounder and he and DJ are gone after this year, IMO.

Secondly, Balbay could probably run the point for us next year, but I doubt it would be a pretty sight. Whoever said he will be a good shooter is incorrect. That is the big knock on him. He was shooting in the neighborhood of 20% on threes during the summer camps. His major strength is the athleticism he possesses. Very good leaper and great at finishing at the rim.

I think the staff would like to sign 1-2 guys this year but there is just no telling who it will be. It doesn't seem like they are going very hard after anyone right now.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back