Jobs in sports

hookem25

< 25 Posts
I am looking to possibly relocate to Austin and work in the sports industry right now (collegiate athletics). I am curious if anyone knows of any job openings either within college/university athletic departments or within private business.

Thanks!

I work in Sporting Goods and the Sports market is all about who you know and paying your dues. Be ready to start at the bottom of the ladder with no pay and hard work. Good luck.

I do have experience - I have collegiate coaching experience but have found that the lifestyle of coaching is not one that I want to have for the rest of my days. I understand the networking component and do have contacts...I guess I am wondering if anyone has made a transition into athletics/sports from either a non-athletic based job or a switch from a coaching position into something a little less stressful. If so, how hard is it to break into the Austin market?

If I remember correctly, a couple years ago UT was offering $18,000/yr for a full-time Sports Marketing position. And at $18,000 that was one of the better salaries I saw.

I work in college athletics and the first rule is you can't be selective about your first job. If you only want to live in Austin, I wish you the best of luck.

Entry-level jobs prefer familiarity, but don't require much experience. Bottom line, if they like you, they'll train you. And if they really like you, they'll groom you. Unless you have a bad *** non-athletics resume, athletics references are critical to landing an interview. An HR guy once told me for every opening he receives at least 50 resumes from all types of people.

I went the typical GA route before landing my first job. I don't get paid much, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I feel very lucky to be doing what I do.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back