ISU at Texas 1/17/24

WCBBNUT

2,500+ Posts
ISU comes in battered and bruised after a big win against KState in double overtime 3 days ago. Normally a team that lives on the three line, this year’s Cyclone squad gets most of their points from big, big center 6’3” Audi Crooks averaging 18ppg with only one other teammate averaging in double digits, 6’2” Freshman Addy Brown with 13ppg.

Don’t get me wrong, ISU still loves her threes taking twice as many as we do with 24 pg averaging at 37% thru the hoop. Texas takes 12 per game sinking 36% of them.

ISU averages 76 ppg vs Texas 83. The Cyclones rebound well averaging 41 pg (TX same) and shoot overall at 46% (Texas 50%). Never under estimate a B12 ref from inserting themselves into the game sending ISU to the line where they average an unusually low 73% for an ISU team vs Texas 70%

Let’s hope ISU’s tank is half empty and Texas comes out punching for the full 40.

Last edited:
ISU averages 76 ppg vs Texas 83. The Cyclones rebound well averaging 41 pg (TX same) and shoot overall at 46% (Texas 50%). Never under estimate a B12 ref from inserting themselves into the game sending ISU to the line where they average an unusually low 73% for an ISU team vs Texas 70%

Since Texas' scoring has really fallen off during conference play, I think this game is almost a dead heat. Texas needs not to get lost when guarding for three's (unless it's Vic's plan) because they're definitely going to be happening if UT stuffs the inside big (Taylor needs a big defensive game). Texas also needs to protect the ball from ISU's fast guards. Some three's from UT would be pretty special. That's my recipe for success (and hoping, like you, that ISU's tank is half full).:)

Since Texas' scoring has really fallen off during conference play, I think this game is almost a dead heat. Texas needs not to get lost when guarding for three's (unless it's Vic's plan) because they're definitely going to be happening if UT stuffs the inside big (Taylor needs a big defensive game). Texas also needs to protect the ball from ISU's fast guards. Some three's from UT would be pretty special. That's my recipe for success (and hoping, like you, that ISU's tank is half full).:)
Good assessment! I can't help but find the irony in our worrying about ISU having quick guards. How TF did we get here?

It’s my belief that by tipoff we’ll know if Texas has a chance to win/share the conference regular season title as Oklahoma is at West Virginia today and other than Texas, I don’t see a team on OU’s remaining schedule that will beat them.

Hopefully the Texas defense rattles Iowa St today leaving their coach whining and crying in the post game presser (again). Their zone won’t bother Texas as in years past, so I’m hoping this game will never be in doubt.

Oh my goodness, yup, yup YUP! Texas had no answer for Crooks: Taylor couldn't shoot through her and couldn't defend her. DeYona did a better job, BUT, Shaylee and Shay came through extra, extra EXTRA big time! So proud of this team!

I’ve never seen ESPN break away from a Men’s BB game to show a women’s BB game. I expected to stream this game on ESPN+. The tides might be changing. Of course, they are fascinated by Booker (as they should be).

I remember, over the past 10 years, of living in fear of the mid range jumper; Booker has slayed that fear.

Excellent game:hookem:

Last edited:
Wow, what a fun game to watch. These women came to play.

It was also very interesting to observe Crooks game. She impressed the times I watched on TV, but it was special to see her up close. On one offensive play DeYona, with her back to the basket, tried to move Crooks and nothing happened, not an inch, like a lump of granite. But unlike a lump of granite, she has great feet and a sweet layup off the backboard from 2-5 feet. Ranked #57? Crazy.

If Crooks ever gets in shape to play an all-out 30-35 minutes, she will turn that program around.

Great game!

All I kept saying is if Crooks loses 50 lbs she could be lethal. She doesn't jump much and is slow up and down the court. She needs to find out who helped Boston lose weight and get in better shape. She could return her sophomore season and be a completely improved player.

Great win. I thought our offense was really good today. I loved seeing those mid-range jumpers inside those sweet zone areas. Seems like just about every one of our players hit one. And, they were shot as soon as the ball was passed to them with no hesitation. Is this new? I watched the game against Houston and seemed like most of our shots were inside the paint. Today's offense looked different than I recall recently, but in a very good way.

I'm damn glad we don't have to play ISU in Ames. Hard to deal with is an understatement. Crooks is wider than Amina and Deyona combined. Taylor is usually the one that outsizes the opponent, but Taylor couldn't guard that girl 1 on 1. Is there anyone that can? And she has some athleticism. She's going to be a whole lot of trouble for all teams in the next few years and long as she doesn't balloon like some girls that size do.

First time I'd watched Audi Crooks play. Best comparison I could come up with was OU's (almost ours) Courtney Paris. If ISU could have gotten that waiver for Stephanie Soares and Donarski had not transferred to North Carolina, the Cyclones could have had something really special this season.

While I was impressed with Crooks, what I might have even been more impressed with was how easily her teammates fed her the ball in different spots on the floor near the basket; it just seemed like they were very efficient (until the fourth quarter). I thought we'd be better at defending entry passes to the post, but it didn't seem like it; will have to go re-watch the game. Not having Hadi Faye available definitely limited our options defensively on Crooks; and, Faye's ability to run the floor could have resulted in some easy transition buckets for her.

First time I'd watched Audi Crooks play. Best comparison I could come up with was OU's (almost ours) Courtney Paris. If ISU could have gotten that waiver for Stephanie Soares and Donarski had not transferred to North Carolina, the Cyclones could have had something really special this season.

While I was impressed with Crooks, what I might have even been more impressed with was how easily her teammates fed her the ball in different spots on the floor near the basket; it just seemed like they were very efficient (until the fourth quarter). I thought we'd be better at defending entry passes to the post, but it didn't seem like it; will have to go re-watch the game. Not having Hadi Faye available definitely limited our options defensively on Crooks; and, Faye's ability to run the floor could have resulted in some easy transition buckets for her.
I was very impressed with Crooks and like some others glad we won't be facing her again in the future. I also thought of Courtney Paris and to a degree our old Stacy Stevens (though shorter and thinner). She held her spot and didn't just fling up a ball just to do something. Looked at her bio. Iowa native who played at a 1A school. Looks a diamond in the rough that ISU unearthed. Yeah, if she can get her stamina up, she'll dominate in the future. Someone I sat next to mentioned they saw her getting oxygen at the end of the bench during one of her rest periods.

Glad Crooks wont be on the regular schedule as she gets more experienced was my thought during the game she’s a tough matchup. But I also kept thinking I’d like to see her matched up against Allissa Pili of Utah. She’s another extra wide body and she hits shots from absolutely anywhere on the floor. She can finish under the rim with ease in multiple ways, hit from midrange and is 40% behind the arc.

Thank you brnkj:hookem:
I really like that he gives credit and says how proud he is
But then points out they still need to improve. Great coaching:trophy:

Is that a cheeto on his head?

Glad Crooks wont be on the regular schedule as she gets more experienced was my thought during the game she’s a tough matchup. But I also kept thinking I’d like to see her matched up against Allissa Pili of Utah. She’s another extra wide body and she hits shots from absolutely anywhere on the floor. She can finish under the rim with ease in multiple ways, hit from midrange and is 40% behind the arc.
When will we get us one like either of those?!!!

Recent Threads

Back