Interview attire question - UPDATE

BooDog

100+ Posts
I've got an interview coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm not quite sure what to wear. It's an in-house counsel position at a company in the construction industry; the position reports to the GC.

Should I wear a suit or is khakis and a button down appropriate?

I've only interviewed a few times over the last ten years and they've always been for positions in the technology industry - khakis and a button down were appropriate. I know the office dress code is casual and I seriously doubt the person I'll be interviewing with will be wearing a suit.

I'm leaning toward khakis/button down with a sport coat. Too casual?

***UPDATE***

Based on input from the recruiter, I opted for khakis/button down with a sport coat. Must have been ok b/c after an initial interview and a call back I've been offered a job. Now I need to decide if I don't mind living in Austin (south) and working in the San Marcos area. Anybody deal with this commute?

I'm of the opinion that for a job interview, it is always better to over dress than underdress.

You know that an actual suit will look better. Period.

Why not err on the side of looking even more professional than necessary, perhaps, and go with the suit?

Yeah, I think that's probably the right answer. I just hate wearing a suit and I'll have to change for the interview. I can't wear a suit to work or everyone will know I have an interview.
wink.gif

I was hoping I could get enough replies on Hornfans to validate what I want to do...

if a full suit is TRULY overdressing to the point that they think you are not familiar with the industry, then i'd still wear the same thing and lose the tie. of course, that's probably only about 1% of the time and the other 99%, a suit & tie is still the way to go.

When I am conducting interviews, my very first impression of a candidate comes as he enters the room - before I shake his/her hand. If the first impression was negative due to appearance, it's an uphill struggle through the rest of the interview. I form my first impression based on appearance - the second based on the handshake and eye contact (or lack thereof).

HornHuskerDad
hookem.gif
texasflag.gif
ousucks.gif

I just had an interview yesterday, I knew I was going to be overdressed with a suit, but did it anyways. I figure it cant hurt to wear a full out suit, and you can always take off the jacket once you are there if you feel it is too much. I know there were 2 other people in that day for the position, but I am hoping they were not dressed in the same fashion.

Suit. No doubt about it. Dress for the job you want, not the one you have. You can dress as you please once people know you and your capabilities (or you're at a point no one can tell you otherwise). Two final words: matched leathers.

I have been on both sides of the interview process in formal corporate settings and business casual environments. Always wear a suit for an interview regardless of their normal attire, unless the person interviewing you expressly tells you not to. As you stated, you cannot overdress for an interview and if appropriate you can always take off the coat during the interview.

I had an interview Wednesday. It's with the school I currently work for (I've been here 13 years) and I probably could have gotten away with wearing something more casual, since I am a known quantity.

But I opted for the "Hillary Clinton Power Suit," with classic cream shell and small pearl-and-diamond jewelry. I will find out this week if I got the job (they interviewed six, and at least one is also a current employee). But if I don't get it, it WON'T be because I wasn't dressed appropriately.

ALWAYS wear a suit, whether you are a woman or a man.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back